Hacking What emulators do you think will be possible if the 3DS gets hacked?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Once the 3DS gets hacked, what do you think will be possible for emulation that is unattainable on the DS? I imagine we will be able to emulate GBA and SNES without lag or the need for external processing power found in the Supercard and other similar flashcarts. PS1 MIGHT be a possibility based on what I'm reading, but I'm also reading that N64 is all but impossible on the 3DS hardware. What do you guys think/know about the subject?

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
All I read was "Once the 3DS gets hacked"

Do you think this forum needs more hypothetical bullcrap than what it already produces?
I only started this thread because there's a huge off-topic discussion about it going on in a different thread. I'm simply trying to help keep things organized. You are quite welcome.

Not to mention that this section is CALLED the "3DS hacking and homebrew" section... last I checked, the 3DS is NOT hacked, and hence there cannot be ANYTHING in this section that ISN'T what you call "hypothetical bullcrap", and by your logic, this whole section should not exist. Why are you even IN this section if you don't like that? Cuz that's all that's here.

Reactions: 6 people

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
-edit- nvm should have looked at the specs first it is more powerfull.. really thought the ps1 was newer and more powerfull oh well lol fail for me

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
-edit- nvm should have looked at the specs first it is more powerfull.. really thought the ps1 was newer and more powerfull oh well lol fail for me
haha, yeah. A lot of people thought it was the more powerful system, at first. The truth is that the PS1 is better designed (disc based, and all), but not more powerful.

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second.
N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

there you go if anyone has trouble comparing..

Reactions: 1 person

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
specs from 3dbrew: SoC Nintendo 1048 0H (Custom): CPU, GPU, VRAM & DSP all on one chip. Processor Core ARM11 MPCore 2x 268MHz & 2x VFP Co-Processor GPU DMP PICA 268MHz DSP 134Mhz. 24ch 32728Hz sampling rates. VRAM 6 MB within SoC. Independent of system memory (FCRAM). FCRAM 2x64MB Fujitsu MB82M8080-07L Storage Toshiba THGBM2G3P1FBAI8 1GB NAND Flash

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is you would get a full speed running snes emu and maybe a full speed gba emu, psone i reckon would be hit and miss. still it is only guess work till a work around happens and we can see what devs can make of it

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
my guess is you would get a full speed running snes emu and maybe a full speed gba emu, psone i reckon would be hit and miss. still it is only guess work till a work around happens and we can see what devs can make of it
Sounds about right. But if working with homebrew on Android has taught me anything, devs can be full of surprises.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
from the other thread:
If the 3DS get hacked, I think we will be able to emulate NES, SNES, PS1, GB, GBC, GBA and maybe N64.
I highly doubt n64... MAYBE PS1, but even that's doubtful. The rest should have no problem running prfectly though

You do know that most of OoT 3D is actually emulated? They just slapped a new graphics engine on there. All the underlying code: emulated.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Compared to the PSP's specs, the 3DS is much more powerful in all respects. It has double the RAM, and 536mhz combined processing power (compared to 333mhz on the PSP). Although, the PSP was based on the MIPS architecture vs ARM on the 3DS. While I think the 3DS will be able emulate the PS1 and the N64 (probably better than the PS1), PS1 emulation will be lacking compared to the PSP.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for moving the discussion over here, Slowking. :-)

And no, I didn't know that. very interesting. But how much is "most of"?

and I don't know the technical aspects of how it works, but the "graphics" are the main problem with the emulation, right? so even if they just changed that, it makes sense that emulating the rest is no problem, maybe? (I know nothing about how this works, im just speculating)

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fudge, how good is the N64 emulator on the PSP? Cuz I heard it wasn't working that great, which is one of the reasons I'm so skeptical.
It was actually rather decent. I remember I was playing Super Mario 64 at full speed with my PSP 1000. Games like Zelda were a bit laggy, but still playable. Star Fox 64 ran well too AFAIK.
EDIT: Typo.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm... would you say the majority of games worked?

Just wondering, because my Android phone (1ghz single core processor, vs the 3DS's 256mhz dual cores, so I think my phone is more powerful) has the N64oid emulator, Super Mario 64 and Maybe OoT and Banjo Kazooie are the only games that truly run with few flaws. almost any other game is either completely unplayable, or very annoyingly glitchy

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite it being more powerful(your android), if what Slowking says is true about it being emulation, then that would show that the system was pretty much built with N64 emulation in mind...an emulator that Big N makes would probably trump others anyway, being that it is their system and all.

Btw, where did you get the 256mhz from? I thought it had a dual core 800mhz arm processor.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s