What DVD-ROM can read/write 360 games?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by misticknight, Dec 4, 2008.

Dec 4, 2008
  1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    i searched the web for this, but it seems the only thing i can find is how to mod your current DVD-DL burner to read them, and since i have 0 idea on modding hardware, i dont wanna mess with it. so which drive can i buy that would read and write 360 games?

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There isn't a drive that can read 360 games and write them. The Samsung sh-162C/D and 163A/B flashed with the kreon firmware can read them , but it's just a dvd-rom , it can't write them.

That's assuming you are talking about originals. If you want to read a copied game , then any drive will do.

3. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    so then how are people ripping 360 ISOs?

EDIT: nvm, i just realised what i said. either way i found some on ebay pre-modded i may buy one of those.

4. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    With either a Samsung 162C/D or 163A/B with the kreon firmware flashed to them or with a samsung or benQ from the 360 with the 0800 ripping firmware on them.

All of them are just dvd-rom though , they can only rip it , you have to burn with another drive. You asked for one that can both read and write.

5. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    wait i forgot to ask this, and i dont wanna start a new topic now, any DL-DVD burner will burn the ISO if i found someway to get it right, i dont need a special one for burning/writing too do i?

6. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    No, you don't need a special drive to write the ISO.

To read Xbox/Xbox 360 discs, you need a drive like the ones mentioned above. I use the SH-D162 flashed with Kreon firmware. Works great. It's really easy to flash the firmware if you can find the appropriate drive.

7. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    yer i'm definatly thinking of getting one. do you think it'd work fine if i use an external enclosure and hook it to my laptop? When i got the LG drive for my Wii backups, it took 4 hours to do one even though apparantly it's meant to take like 1 hour (i got the one thats fastest for reading Wii games). Do you think the same thing would happen here or should it be normal?

8. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    It'll be fine in an external enclosure. Plenty of people have them in one , I have mine in one and works fine.

9. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    how long do you think it'd take to dump a game? Also i just found out now my brother has a IDE to USB convertor thingie, it's not an enclosure it's just like a cable you plug into the back of the DVD then to the USB port. Would that do the job too or are they not recomended? Casue it could save me a few dollars.

10. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Not too long , takes about 30min , maybe less , can't remember exact time , long time since I ripped an original. If disc is scratched or has any marks on , time will vary depending on how many read errors it has to recover.

11. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    sounds good. and the IDE to USB thing should be alrite yer?

12. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    To my knowledge the drives (Like the one I have are sata) and with mine hooked up to a desktop takes 12 minutes per game to backup. Unfortunatly 45minutes to burn at 2.4X with verify.
    However going through USB the times may differ so Armadillo is the guy to look to on USB times as he seems to be running that setup. But again I believe all drives are sata.

13. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    They make one of each. IDE and Sata. My estimate was way off though , just quickly ripped pgr 3 and it took 15min in the usb enclosure , so not much difference. I don't bother with 2.4 for burning anymore though , the newer batches of 2.4x verbatim burn lovely at 4x and on the x8 discs one of my burners doesn't even support lower than x4.

14. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    so it took you that long with the USB enclosure?

15. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Yes , 15min in the usb enclosure.

16. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    wow awesome, thanks alot man, i'll definatly be getting it now, i just hope that IDE to USB thingie works but if not i'll buy an enclosure. thanks again.