Hardware What drive is best to replace D3-2 with?

winky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have a black Wii so i want to replace my DVD-drive with something capable of playing burned discs. Could someone please advice which type of drive will be the best to buy? I may suppose that from the group of D2A-D2E the last is the newest revision but I don't realize what is DMS and which of them all will be the best to suits my console.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i suppose anything. some of the older models (dms?) had trouble reading dual layers so maybe d2b or d2c(2).

BenieUK

Trophies
XP
Country
Depending what drive is in your black wii just get a new D2E board from ebay and switch the one on your drive..

winky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
MFDC12
BenieUK
Thanks for your reply, what i understood is there is no really matter which one to use so i'll buy something of D2 series

smartybones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for playing backup copies of your games, i wouldent even bother cracking the wii open... a softmod solution is by far the better option. I would only consider replacing the drive if its broken...

winky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
yes, i'm going to buy wode soon but i also want to have the opportunity to play discs, i don't know why, for no special reason, may be i just want to have my Wii usable in every part, and D3-2 makes me sad. And at last after the the year of living with softmod i just don't believe in 100% compatibility of emulation, i think in rare cases playing real discs is more reliable and gives sense of confidence (relative to wode, most probably i'm mistaken though)

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WODE and disk loading is the same exactly.
You should be aware that in both those cases some Gamecube games have issues with audio streaming.
If you want perfect gamecube you'll have to physically put a modchip in, one that does support audio streaming on top of your new drive.
Another (cheaper) alternative is to buy a real gamecube(20$? with a controller) with a modchip (20$) but you will be restrained to burning the small camcorder DVD.

winky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I've already got the gamecube but it has no digital output and i don't like the composite visual quality. Could you please advice the Wii chip for a perfect gamecube audio support, and the dvd-drive model suitable for setting up this chip? And one more detail: can i use the chip on the drive and the wode at the same time (at least is there a space for placing both of them)?

BenieUK

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiKey v2 chip
smile.gif

But you must have D3-1 or lower drive..

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BenieUK said:
WiiKey v2 chip
smile.gif

But you must have D3-1 or lower drive..

d2pro as well
yaywii.gif

either one is fine, its speculated that both are from the same team anyways

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
winky said:
I've already got the gamecube but it has no digital output and i don't like the composite visual quality. Could you please advice the Wii chip for a perfect gamecube audio support, and the dvd-drive model suitable for setting up this chip? And one more detail: can i use the chip on the drive and the wode at the same time (at least is there a space for placing both of them)?

Yes you can install both of them but you made me wonder if a modchip would make the wode stream audio correctly so i went to check wode forums.
And the answer is no and never. Because wode does not have enough pins or something like that.
http://www.wodejukebox.org/viewtopic.php?f...53&start=20
but running from disks with modchip with wode is confirmed by wiisel
http://www.wodejukebox.org/viewtopic.php?f...53&start=70

winky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's very useful info, thanks, so i'll order the premodded drive and the wode. The only question is what's better: D2pro 6 or Wiikey v2? or i'll cast a die to make a choice?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey