Hacking what does the PASS ME do in the option file??

aimansss95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well...just like the topic...what does the PASS ME mode do?? owh!! and awhat does flashing a ds do?? sorry for sounding like a noob....i really want to know what's the risk of flashing a ds..

Son of Spam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pass Me allows you to boot slot 2 devices in DS mode in order to play DS games from them. This is useful if you have a slot 2 device like an M3 Lite that can only go into GBA mode without a Pass Me card in slot 1. Flashing your DS alters the firmware of the DS in order to allow slot 2 devices to boot into DS mode without a Pass Me. It also has a couple of other additional features, such as protection from viruses and trojans made for the DS. It also gets rid of the health warning logo at the start of every game. If you have a slot 1 device with Pass Me like the TopToy, it isn't really worth it.

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are not flashing your DS with a Passme option, what you are doing is bypassing the DS's firmware protection temprarily and booting the Slot 2 device instead of the Slot 1 device. Passme is how the older flashcarts (e.g., Superkey and Supercard) used to work. The Superkey was the Passme device which bypassed the DS's firmware checks booted the Supercard located in Slot 2 which was the real flashcart containing the OS. This method was necessary back then, because the copyright protection on the DS was not fully cracked, and the only way to boot the OS of the flashcart was as a Slot 2 device. The flashing of the DS firmware (which was done using a method called Flashme which involved opening with your DS battery compartment to short out a contact to run the flashing code) was already pretty much unnecessary by the time the Passme devices emerged (except for the ultra paranoid worried about their DS being bricked by a homebrew trojan, and needing a way to recover). What the flashing did was basically embed the bypassing code permanently in the firmware of your DS so that the Slot 2 device will boot.

With the newer flashcarts, both the functions of the Passme device and the Slot 2 flashcart are combined into one unit. If you do have an older Slot 2 flashcart laying around, Passme option will allow you to boot it temporarily. Neither modify the DS's installed firmware in any way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it