Misc What does the closure of the eShop mean for Virtual Console injections?

JIMBOYKELLY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently homebrewed my Wii U, as there are some classic games I want to inject, due to them not being available on the eShop. From what I understand, you need to purchase a base game from the eShop to inject the game file into. So how exactly will that work when the eShop closes? If someone buys a Wii U in let's say, April 2023, after the eShop has closed and base games cannot be purchased, how would that person inject games? The developers of the injection program probably knew that the eShop wouldn't be open forever, so what exactly is being done to allow the program to continue working?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you just need the game key, no game required.
You need the key cause the injector will download the game from the NUS, then extract it with this key, replace ROM and metadata and repack with NUS packer. So the game is required, it's just all happening behind the scenes.

Anyway: First of all Nintendo itself said it will still be possible to dowload from the NUS after the closure... But even if that wouldn't be the case: No need for a legit copy of the game as you decrypt / transform it into something unlegit anyway... The injector tools might probably need an update to support none-legit bases but, well, as said NUS won't go offline.

Reactions: godreborn
Trophies
XP
You need the key cause the injector will download the game from the NUS, then extract it with this key, replace ROM and metadata and repack with NUS packer. So the game is required, it's just all happening behind the scenes.

Anyway: First of all Nintendo itself said it will still be possible to dowload from the NUS after the closure... But even if that wouldn't be the case: No need for a legit copy of the game as you decrypt / transform it into something unlegit anyway... The injector tools might probably need an update to support none-legit bases but, well, as said NUS won't go offline.
Isnt it also possible to download Tickets / Credentials from a backup in order to have the base game install as "legit"? Not sure if what I said is possible since I've literally never visited the VC Injection scene, but it's just a thought as I know it's possible to make some games read legitimately if you can get their Ticket.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Korozin Very good question. AFAIK neither the ROM nor the metadata is signature checked, so it might work. The inject would need to use the exact same title ID as the base, so you couldn't have both installed through (like say you use GBAs mario kart as a base for something. Now something and mario kart share the same title ID, so installing one would overwite the other).

Trophies
XP
Very good question. AFAIK neither the ROM nor the metadata is signature checked, so it might work. The inject would need to use the exact same title ID as the base, so you couldn't have both installed through (like say you use GBAs mario kart as a base for something. Now something and mario kart share the same title ID, so installing one would overwite the other).
Makes sense, since the Wii U uses Title IDs to sort files on MLC / USB into their file structure (e.g within 00050000 and 0005000e for updates [pretty sure VC only lies on 00050000 for base game though] ) I have experimented a little bit by downloading a few VC games and stripping most of the files in "Contents" and replacing the RPX file with a custom on (making forwarders basically) Not always stable but usually they work quite nicely.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pretty sure VC only lies on 00050000 for base game though
Maybe but to get a legit title you need to use an original meta file (cause this gets signature checked) which defines the title ID.

replacing the RPX file with a custom on
The rpx also gets signature checked so the result won't be legit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn