Hardware What does SpotPass do ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I get StreetPass, but what does SpotPass really do ?

Does it continuously try to connect to open unsecured WiFi networks and download stuff ? But why, if it could simply use my home network ?

Or does it just record SSIDs of WiFi spots I'm passing by in order to reward me with content (similar to granting coins for walking distances) ?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
can automatically seek and connect to wireless network nodes such as Wi-Fi hotspots, sending and downloading information in the background while in sleep mode or while playing a game.[...] with SpotPass being the ability for the 3DS to seek Wi-Fi signals and automatically download content while in sleep mode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
Yes it connects to free/unsercured WiFi networks and yes it downloads stuff.

Why? Because Nintendo can. If you don't want it to, turn off the Wi-Fi switch or turn off the 3DS when out.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spot pass is used to download updates and extra content for 3DS games/Nintendo shop titles.

Thats really about it. It connects to a router and downloads the update automatically.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:

But what's the point ? Everyone has WiFi at home. Besides, 90% access point are secured nowadays...

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
prowler_ said:

But what's the point ? Everyone has WiFi at home. Besides, 90% access point are secured nowadays...

See my above post. And it will connect to your OWN wifi network if its registered in your 3DS

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It's so Nintendo don't have to have 3G and you don't have to pay at&t money every month.

Because Nintendo had a crazy idea that some people leave their house when they have a portable console.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
SpotPass doesn't auto connect, I tried taking 3DS outside, it wasn't connected to the various unsecured networks, the "auto" thing is a lie.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sergster1 said:
Spot pass is used to download updates and extra content for 3DS games/Nintendo shop titles.

Thats really about it. It connects to a router and downloads the update automatically.
fw updates?
hell no it doesn't autoupdate it just notifies you

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
It's so Nintendo don't have to have 3G and you don't have to pay at&t money every month.

Because Nintendo had a crazy idea that some people leave their house when they have a portable console.

I understand, but I still don't get why are they emphasizing the "downloading on the go" concept.

Most people have WiFi networks at home. So it's enough that you simply turn on your 3DS before leaving/after getting back to receive all your SpotPass updates/notifications... isn't it ? It's not a matter of life & death to get the latest code for a SSF4 figurine within minutes after it is released...

Plus, as I've written, most access points are secured nowadays, so your 3DS won't be able to download anything.

RodrigoCamilo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah it does update automatically, one great example is the pokedex 3d if you let your 3ds in sleep mode for 3~5 minutes it will download a pokemon automatically even without notifying you. But I'm not sure if it updates firmwares automatically but I think the spotpass function is just for games and eshop content.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
Plus, as I've written, most access points are secured nowadays, so your 3DS won't be able to download anything.
They don't connect to unsecured networks.
This is a mis-conception created here by idiots.

It connects to specially created networks like at bestbuy in the US.
http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/hardware#/9
"exclusive content at select partners"
"any one of thousands of HotSpot locations nationwide."
These are the hotspot providers who are compatible: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/built-in-software/#/12

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
It connects to specially created networks like at bestbuy in the US.

OK, so you have to visit specific places to get this additional SpotPass content.
I guess this is supposed to get nerds out of their basements to shopping malls with hope of selling them stuff ?

In the end, I don't care much. The big stuff (like the recent system update) will be too important not to be broadcasted globally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol