• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What does "Shutting down the governement" means exactly?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair to Trump, he probably is too uninvolved (legally required at the moment?, and definitely good for deniability in the long term)
He's still heavily involved in his businesses, which is why he's facing several emoluments lawsuits right now, at least one of which has been cleared to proceed by a federal judge. I mean, I don't believe that Trump remembers what he had for breakfast on any given evening, but just because he doesn't remember breaking the law doesn't mean he's off the hook. It was his managers handing out the fake green cards as a large operation, so I have a hard time believing he was never aware of it.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-401606

Wanting to protect your borders is somehow a childlike tantrum now.

GBAtemp parrots that Trump is an idiot and 90% of the user base here doesn't really have a clear understanding of American politics to really form an opinion.One of my biggest qualms with GBAtemp is how the hivemind controls absolutely everything.

Reactions: Captain_N and Kioku

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp parrots that Trump is an idiot and 90% of the user base here doesn't really have a clear understanding of American politics to really form an opinion.One of my biggest qualms with GBAtemp is how the hivemind controls absolutely everything.
Oh, please. Rush Limbaugh threw a colorful rant about Trump being weak for allowing a resolution that would have funded the government through February. Then, suddenly, the Trump flips his position on the account that it doesn't have funding for the border wall? Something that, if I remember correctly, Mexico was supposed to pay for?

I'll readily accept that GBAtemp has a tendency to become an echo chamber for people to amplify the opinions they already have ingrained in them, but do not make the mistake of assuming that the same can't happen for the cause that you support. Please, to the people who routinely target other classes of people, I'd ask that you give me the same courtesy I'm giving you and just... Periodically ask yourself what exactly is the motivation behind your positions

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, the political hivemind controls nothing here. It does get old when both sides tend to scream "foul" about every little thing, and the stale Trump bashing leaves a bitter taste in some... Still...

D

Deleted-401606

To be honest, the political hivemind controls nothing here. It does get old when both sides tend to scream "foul" about every little thing, and the stale Trump bashing leaves a bitter taste in some... Still...

I didn't really mean just politics though.On GBAtemp there is usually one widely accepted opinion on X,and if you go against the grain people either get suspensions or their forum post gets turned into a blog.Group think is honestly a cancer to a community of this nature where the focus should be on video games.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't really mean just politics though.On GBAtemp there is usually one widely accepted opinion on X,and if you go against the grain people either get suspensions or their forum post gets turned into a blog.Group think is honestly a cancer to a community of this nature where the focus should be on video games.
Generally speaking I'd say both responses you mentioned are level-headed. Typically suspensions, from what I've seen, are dished out when someone is consistently picking fights and being obnoxious (or legitimately openly and unapologetically hateful towards other members), and I've only ever seen threads moved to blogs when they contained personal opinion that's either unsubstantiated or doesn't really fit any particular forum forum section very well. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that compared to most other online communities I've interacted with, the staff here are not only fair, but even generous in terms of what they'll allow people to get away with. Generally speaking, if someone is given a warning, let alone suspended, it's because they deserved it, plain and simple

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
At some point, reporting on the facts/current events and "Trump bashing" become one and the same. I'm just as ready as anyone for the lunacy to end and a return to boring presidents, but to be boring you have to be a stable, reliable adult first.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the shoe fits... and I would go further and say fine to judge things relative to your local standards as well, especially if the shortcomings of that are realised.
Similarly if that 90% is content to do other things and leave those that wish to discuss them to discuss such things.

As far as hive minds go if you steer clear of pokemon and smash brothers it is all good, and even then questioning how they might not be the finest game franchises ever crafted by man is not without support.

Going a bit further I see plenty of people of all political stripes complaining about us allowing other people to drivel on in the forums, and plenty of people debating finer points and having complex and nuanced opinions on things that their normal "party lines" would appear to differ massively on. There are those with some utterly bizarre notions of how the world, laws, ethics and so forth work but they tend to meet the cold, hard mistress that is reality soon enough and I would much rather that than an echo chamber. I don't know if I would quite make a claim of completely balanced as US style right wing politics are very much on the defensive at all points (I don't know if that is what you mean by/perceive as the hive mind), though at the same time the nonsense the US left presently seems to be going in for gets called out all the time as well. As you might imagine there is a very overt push towards letting devices run free, regardless of what any copyright holder/system maker might care to say on the matter, which stands above all that but as the homebrews and ROM hacks don't exactly threaten* world security at this point in time... yeah.

*choice links
https://craphound.com/stories/2006/01/12/printcrime/

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's still heavily involved in his businesses, which is why he's facing several emoluments lawsuits right now, at least one of which has been cleared to proceed by a federal judge. I mean, I don't believe that Trump remembers what he had for breakfast on any given evening, but just because he doesn't remember breaking the law doesn't mean he's off the hook. It was his managers handing out the fake green cards as a large operation, so I have a hard time believing he was never aware of it.

Well, I'm trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt. To that end, it still looks incredibly bad. Like you say, he should be heavily involved in his own business and ignorance or forgetting aren't legitimate excuses for avoiding punishment. Yet, plenty of companies have done criminal things, and it's become the norm to punish with settlements without admitting guilt over fines or jail. My understanding is this was chosen as a strategy some time ago for economic reasons; I guess the threat of actual prosecution (instead of ignoring things) and the punishment being jail would have been very disruptive on the US economy. So, yea, the government basically chose to be complicit in both acknowledging widespread corruption and crime in business as well as mitigating the punishment. And here we are.

There's lots of things I don't agree with people on. I've yet to receive a suspension or even be warned. I definitely agree that group think can be very bad for a community. Honestly, I think very few people are independent thinkers--me included--on most subjects because it would take decades to come up with something self-formed on most subjects. To that end, I think the most important thing is to try to keep an open mind about things and as TotalInsanity4 said to always try to be aware of your own motivations on things. The best way to do that is to be willing to listen to a lot of people you disagree with, so long as it's clear they too are trying to be open minded and listen and think. I'd say mostly people on gbatemp do that.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Talking about politics can be almost as bad and exhausting as reading what Incels write in their websites/threads. Between the two, I'd rather read articles about politics than what involuntary celibates post.

They can be really depressing and harmful. I tried to be friendly with them and they insulted me. lol They're the ones in charge of their lives, anyway, so if they want to change they have to work towards it.

D

Deleted-401606

Talking about politics can be almost as bad and exhausting as reading what Incels write in their websites/threads. Between the two, I'd rather read articles about politics than what involuntary celibates post.

They can be really depressing and harmful. I tried to be friendly with them and they insulted me. lol They're the ones in charge of their lives, anyway, so if they want to change they have to work towards it.

What exactly did I post about incels?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So Trump is starting to get pretty desperate over this...the expectation is that he might declare a national emergency tonight on primetime TV. He thinks he can use a non-existent emergency to fund his wall through the DoD. Hopefully a federal judge is quick to intervene if that happens.

If this sounds familiar, it's because it was literally a plot line from House of Cards. Underwood declares an emergency in order to illegally funnel money to his jobs program.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Trump is starting to get pretty desperate over this...the expectation is that he might declare a national emergency tonight on primetime TV. He thinks he can use a non-existent emergency to fund his wall through the DoD. Hopefully a federal judge is quick to intervene if that happens.
That would hurt the legitimacy of a national emergency. I hope this doesn't happen.

Reactions: LogicIsHansom

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That would hurt the legitimacy of a national emergency. I hope this doesn't happen.
It didn't, he already gave the address. He still tried to hype up immigration as a "crisis," but largely it was ten minutes of the same material he's been using since his campaign. I don't see it changing anybody's mind in favor of a wall, especially since the Democrats gave a much more articulate response.

Reactions: KingVamp

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like this guy is trying to set a new record for this government shutdown.
If this sounds familiar, it's because it was literally a plot line from House of Cards. Underwood declares an emergency in order to illegally funnel money to his jobs program.
Actually, this reminds me of the recent
Young Justice episodes

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)