EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
quim69 said:
It means the absolute ruination of games.

Ever since 1997 it's all we seem to hear about. Look at the most fun games available, 99% of them aren't realistic in any way, shape or form. (mario, mario kart etc).

If I want realism I go outside and enjoy the realism. Games should be about fantasy and imagination - about pure escapist fun.

Realistic sports games are the most useless of all imo - I mean virtually anyone can go out and play an incredibly realistic game of football or darts.

Agree with the people above pointing out the boring, drab grey/browness of most games since "realism" has been popular with the sheeple.

Depends... I dont disagree with what your saying but one place I do like realism is with game physics (at least in certain games) sports games and some others as well its nice have have a touch of 'realism'

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realism, to me, means being able to differentiate facial expressions on NPCs.
It means attention to little details, such as the veins in a leaf, or ripples on water in the rain.
It means opening a treasure chest and a myriad of skittering creatures running for their lives as you claim your booty.

Realism is the difference between playing a game, and being immersed in a game.
A battle scene that pops up with the text message "An orc approaches!" is all well and good, but it simply doesn't have the same effect as watching in horror as an axe-wielding monster crests a ridge and begin to charge, foaming at the mouth, when it notices it's next meal is standing on the footpath in a puddle of it's own urine.

Realism can most certainly be underused, just as easily as it can be overused, but the worst thing that can be done in reference to the realism of a game is when it's simply done poorly.

Galacta

>:)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its like youre simulating something in the future!
smile.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depends what you mean by realism. There's actually being realistic, then there's creating a false perception of something being realistic.
If you have the ability to suspend your disbelief in a game, it becomes far more immersive, emotionally attaching and mentally affecting. You can make the game world, story and characters come to life. A game like that is great.
But you need some games that aren't realistic at all and are just plain fun. Think of it as a gamer's diet. Lots of different genres, with different levels of realism to them.

That's how I see it anyway.

Forte Dante

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Realism to me, is only necessary on a basic level. Giving things characteristics that allow us to relate to them. A character doesn't have to be a realistic-looking human, as long as they have emotions, you can connect to them. Beyond that, I say the less realistic the better, as video games are a prime way to explore someone else's wildest visions/imagination, and to escape the mundane of the real world. I think this applies to most forms of media.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The thing is these days is that all realism means is the most shades of blood, the best explosions, and the most kinds of killing devices. For me, realism is being able to be immersed in my game like a well written book. You can have your halo and your Michael Jackson slam dunking a ball into the net, but I'll take the original FFIV and have a much better time than you will.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what gender of gaming. I

In an FPS, you want:
-a realistic enviorment. I mean, if your in a junle and you pass by a bush and the bush doesn't move or amke a sound. then that's just a waste of space and animation.

-realistic enemies. If your in a forest lke in far cry and want to sneek to one place and you move, you make a can fall over and no one even comes to see what it is, that just stupid. The if they have to much A.I then it's stupid because the first thing they see move they'll shot at. you'll be beter off doing the real thing and hopig for the best.

-grahics. Well, I see people play Far cry 2, Gears of War 2 and play it as if was a regular thing but I see that and my heart almost stops. The first time I played Half Life 2 I almose sh*ted my pants because of the grafics and see thies ass holes on their freakin couch just sitting there. It really adds to the experience, The more realstic the grafics ar the more you feell like your living that life you can never doo in real life.

-Story. The most important part of realisim, you want something that can actualy happen in the past, in the present or even 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years later. Not some bullshit thing that just is stupid. If some super advanced thing like some guy makes a airship that can go light years away from earth happens abut a month from now, that's just stupid because we are ssssooooo far from doing that. Then we don't what it to realistic like "Jak came home from the office, he went to bed. He first went to brush his teath" that's just boring.

RPGs
-You want it magical, most of the best RPGs are some magical adventure and they make it work. RPGs like advanced war have the realistic aspec in it and they make it work. Depends on the RPG

I honestly don't want to type anymore but the basic point of this is that, every gender has a different balance. What makes this balance is the setting, time, and story. If they don't fit together then it's not balanced and is considered a fail. Again, it all depends on the gender, story, setting, dialog, and other important details that can't be ruined or the rest is too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: