• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What does it feel like to have COVID?

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard stories ranging from you just have the flu to it's a painful few weeks. There's also the stories about people with long-COVID being fatigued for months afterwards. I haven't had it before but have had one Pfizer dose so I'm guessing I will be on the milder end of the spectrum when I get it.

pwjpssdfvqyuhweuxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I didn't catch it (atleast I believe so) but two of my co-workers had it, one didn't have any symptoms at all (68 years old) and the other only knew he had covid after he did a anti-body test 3 months ago.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Like jinglepuff berries on a wednesday.

The problem is just all those pansy nurses, that burn out working in the emergency covid ward, seeing all those patients - die... But normally they die from suffocation - which is a pleasent death, comparatively...
https://tidsskriftet.no/en/2020/05/debatt/relieving-sensation-suffocation-patients-dying-covid-19

Also, there are no stupid questions, I'm convinced.

And on a less sarcastic note - it really depends, to some people its not more than a flue, some dont show any symptoms hardly at all, some collapse, some are most worried about the loss of taste and smell, that might be permanent, and some die.

Also age, or preexisting conditions are a factor. And yes, if you are vaccinated you have overwhelming chances, to only experience a non severe ("gentle") progression.

Last edited by notimp,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I had some moderate flu symptoms for five days, and for about three of them it also felt like my lung capacity was at 60-70% of normal. Basically I couldn't take deep breaths, so that was a bit scary, but never quite "I gotta go to the hospital NOW" level of scary. This was early December of last year, and for reference I'm in my mid-30s, in decent shape.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had it for about two weeks with symptoms starting on Christmas day last year. Ranging from the typical lost taste/smell to having a fever lasting for about 5-7 days straight with no break. Some days were so bad I had to cool myself down in a tub of cold water to hopefully level myself out but this was always temporary and caused some internal heat issues during the fever period. Had issues using my full lung capacity as well, which made it feel like something was cutting off a portion of my lungs making it harder to breathe naturally. Made tasks like walking more difficult in the long run.

I was able to make a full recovery in about 10-12 days, some things took longer than others to get over. My fiancee however unfortunately got stuck with the long haul symptom and still has issues tasting/smelling properly to this day.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, it varies greatly from person to person. There is no blanket statement of "this is what Covid will be like for you," could be no worse than the flu, could leave you in a hospital on a respirator, could kill you, or you could feel nothing different.

Of course that's just what we know now, I do worry that this disease may have unforeseen long term effects that we wont recognize for years at this point.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My case was pretty standard. Had the flu-like symptoms for about 3 days, followed by loss of taste/smell the following week that lasted for nearly a month. I also had intense brain fog - it felt like I was woke up in the middle of the night, dazed, but all day long. It gradually went away after about a month or so.

And my breathing was impacted. I'm a pretty athletic dude, 30 years old, and going up the stairs nearly had me winded. Workouts were pretty tough when I went back to the gym a month later, but it got better.

I'd say my breathing is still about 90% of what it was pre-covid. I'm glad I decided to get into decent shape a few years back. I can only wonder how much worse it could have been.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1