Hacking What does everyone use to play DS games on their 3DS?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Twilight Menu+, and, while it does work fine, sometimes saved progress is lost when I turn off the console, and it takes time to get back to the game. I heard cartridges are a better alternative than Twilight Menu; however, are any of them more affordable than 150 dollars? That seems like a high price to pay.
You don't need that, there are cheap flashcarts that play DS games just fine, if you choose to do that, but that one you linked plays both DS & 3DS.. TwilightMenu++ should save your game progress, post on the TWLMenu release thread and specify your problem there.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you mention some of them?
Uh, there's those R4SDHC that do have the timebomb in them, the ones whith a year inscribed on the label, like 2020/21,those are really cheap and available, you can use an alternate kernal YSMenu to bypass the timebomb thing. There are also ones without the timebomb, they're expensive than the ones i mentioned above, ask in the flashcart thread for more info on both.
Also again, you don't need either, TwilightMenu++ works fine with the majority of games, saving shouldn't be an issue just describe your problem on the TwilightMenu++ thread for others to help.
Also, do you have TwilightMenu++ installed on the 3DS sd card or a flashcart? And does it fail to save for all games or only one?

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree. if you have some sort of issue, mention it in the twilight menu++ thread so that the dev @Robz8 can see it. I've never encountered the problem you mentioned with save files, but I also don't really play my 3ds at all. all saves I've tried have worked on both the 3ds and the ds (also using twilight menu++ with a supercard dstwo), just haven't actually played a game and saved except a few times (no issues to report).

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Uh, there's those R4SDHC that do have the timebomb in them, the ones whith a year inscribed on the label, like 2020/21,those are really cheap and available, you can use an alternate kernal YSMenu to bypass the timebomb thing. There are also ones without the timebomb, they're expensive than the ones i mentioned above, ask in the flashcart thread for more info on both.
Also again, you don't need either, TwilightMenu++ works fine with the majority of games, saving shouldn't be an issue just describe your problem on the TwilightMenu++ thread for others to help.
Also, do you have TwilightMenu++ installed on the 3DS sd card or a flashcart? And does it fail to save for all games or only one?

What does the "time bomb" refer to? I found an affordable flashcard seller here - http://www.elespiel.com/nintendo-3ds/91-r4i-gold-3ds-flashcard.html . It mentions "3DSXL/3DS V11.6.0-39E/2DS/DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL V1.4.5E!" in the description. Does it mean I wouldn't be able to use it on my 10.5.0 cfw system?

It's not like TM+ has a constant saving failure. I played two rounds of Mario Party DS, and when I went into TM+ again to play another round, I saw that my points from the first two rounds were gone. I think it's saved nicely since then, but I haven't played that much - wouldn't want to risk losing data before I (possibly) move to a flashcard.

I do not have a flashcard; TW+ is installed on my SD Card.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got an Acekard 2i, haven't used it a lot but never had problems with it. I don't know the standard prices or any common issues with it, since I got it at a used games store.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does the "time bomb" refer to? I found an affordable flashcard seller here - http://www.elespiel.com/nintendo-3ds/91-r4i-gold-3ds-flashcard.html . It mentions "3DSXL/3DS V11.6.0-39E/2DS/DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL V1.4.5E!" in the description. Does it mean I wouldn't be able to use it on my 10.5.0 cfw system?

It's not like TM+ has a constant saving failure. I played two rounds of Mario Party DS, and when I went into TM+ again to play another round, I saw that my points from the first two rounds were gone. I think it's saved nicely since then, but I haven't played that much - wouldn't want to risk losing data before I (possibly) move to a flashcard.

I do not have a flashcard; TW+ is installed on my SD Card.
I couldn't tell you if that one you linked has a timebomb or not, since there are many clones out there, though it looks like it doesn't have a date imprinted on it... The timebomb basically locks the flashcart from being recognized by the DS, when you exceed the date that is written on the card, until you change the clock of your system below the said date,or with using an alternative kernel as i've said above.
The V1.4.5E is the DS firmware not the 3DS's,it should be recognized/work fine, even if it doesn't there's a homebrew software for the 3DS that can launch patched DS flashcarts.

Manuelasparkles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys and Coolme, I remember playing my Nintendogs on my 3DS. Because my 3DS can play any classic ds games. Speaking of that, my brother used to play Bowser’s inside story on his ds. But he doesn’t know about the remake of the classic ds game on the 3DS.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys and Coolme, I remember playing my Nintendogs on my 3DS. Because my 3DS can play any classic ds games. Speaking of that, my brother used to play Bowser’s inside story on his ds. But he doesn’t know about the remake of the classic ds game on the 3DS.
Hey!.. Bowser's inside Story on the DS didn't need a remake at all. It doesn't add anything significant either visual or content-wise, apart from that mini-game which stinks IMO.

Last edited by CoolMe,

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still using a Supercard DSTwo from back in the day. Great cart, real time saves (only slightly dodgy) and I even used it for a couple of games last year.. (none since).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands