What do you think will Nintendo's next generation handheld's 'Special Feature'?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good graphics and resolution are subjective.

Are we really calling that a leap? I am not inclined to start a "but ? was first" thing but any number of wider handhelds with many buttons happened before then, I am coming up a bit short on shoulder buttons mind you.
Not really a leap, but still a noticeable change from the Color, besides that and the form factor, I
guess the GBA doesn't really have that "special feature".

My ultimate dream would be for them to release a Netflix style subscription for their games where you play X amount monthly and you get access to ALL the VC games and play as much as you want on it. .

As for the device itself, I think the 3DS will probably be the last time we'll see the clamshell design and they'll go for a one giant screen with buttons on the side.

None of this is going to happen.

And a long lasting battery life.
Which most modern portable devices don't really have, but that said, I do hope the battery and the handheld is bigger from the get go.

I was thinking Augmented Reality glasses, but thought that was a bit much. Not saying it's out of the realm of Nintendo. They would have to design it to go over eyeglasses. Not to even mention VR.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The processor, graphics hardware, sound.

Basically, the GBC was a NES, and the GBA was a SNES.. in relative terms.
So a once good but now/then ageing processor popular in embedded systems, all wrapped around a fairly modest amount of memory and graphics hardware, stuff that has seen technically superior competition during its day, gave way to... a once good but now/then ageing processor popular in embedded systems, all wrapped around a fairly modest amount of memory and graphics hardware, stuff that has seen technically superior competition during its day*.

*for some this might also have signified the rise of the mobile phone. The amount of times I was linked up the various emulators that were made for various java and phones and asked why no GBA, only to have to point out it was a more advanced ARM running at several hundred MHz with substantially more memory (probably even more than the DS would later have).

So going by that logic, the NDS was a N64 and the 3DS is a GCN ?
The terms little NES, little SNES and broad comparisons, types of ports and the like mean that line of logic is far from unheard of.

Shoulder buttons.
I did actually have a look earlier to see if I could find earlier portables with shoulder buttons and came up short, I am content enough with it not exactly being a new concept in game controllers though.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should replace cartridges with mini blu-ray disc and put fans where the speakers are to cool me while I play outside and for a neat 4D effect. Add a refillable water tank, scent air, and rumble while they are at it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We've had the Gameboy, Color , Advance, DS , DSi & the 3DS
Each of the above handheld has had a major development over the previous.
I think the 3DS has everything current technology has to offer(Almost?). What do you tempers think will Nintendo's next handheld offer?(Say- 4-5 years from now?)
The 3DS is a major development over the DSi? In what regard? I could understand the DS-to-DSi since the DSi introduced DSiWare, embedded cameras and whatnot, but the 3DS's only "achievement" is the glasses-less 3D screen that people use for 15 minutes and then forget about. Other than the specs (which are a good couple of years behind the times), there isn't any jump to speak of unless you want to count the top screen aspect ratio.
What was the GBA's major development over the GBC?
Landscape screen, shoulder buttons, better form factor? :yay:

Good graphics and resolution are subjective.
They're objective if you have means of comparison to other devices from the same time frame.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was the GBA's major development over the GBC?

It was the first Nintendo handheld that could really interact with a Nintendo console, wasn't it? I know there was some pokeymans adapter for the N64, and of course Super Gameboy, but those connected the carts, not the system. With GBA you connected it directly and could interact with the Gamecube as a 2nd screen and stuff. Not used a lot, but probably a better notion for a "leap" than shoulder buttons.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That seems more like an innovation done with the GBA rather than an innovation of the GBA.

Landscape screen, shoulder buttons, better form factor? :yay:

I already took shoulder buttons, similarly you and I share similar opinions on the pointlessness of "what was first" debates but I will have to *points at gamegear*.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: