1. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Smart devices in general. I don't find them useful at all. I would rather just have a normal bluetooth speaker than one where I never know if I'm connected or not. Google Home is always active, but I have to be in the room (what determines whether I'm in the room or not? Google doesn't know how big it is). In general I find them more confusing than helpful, not because of a lack of understanding, but just the way they are designed.

2. Little_Anonymous_Hacker

Newcomer

United States
    Who isn't?

3. Leverlock

Leverlock Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    I don't understand the obsession to place yet another microphone in your home. Especially by companies like Google and Amazon. The fact you get those devices practically for free is telling. I might consider a product like Homey.

DarkFlare69 likes this.
  4. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    I always wanted to buy ereaders to use ink screen or whatever they called ..... but I never bought one.

I would love to try ar devices like hololens but they are expensive.

I want to try folding phones but they are expensive and not very stable.

I would love to try and buy 4k tv or 4k oled but I feel ps5, xbox series x and Pc will run better on full hd.

5. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I think it's generally more complicated than that.

Your desire to embrace technology is down to what you want out of it. If you wanted to maintain visual contact during lockdown then you probably figured out how to use zoom. Prior to that you probably had enough contact with people not to bother going through the learning curve.

Some people find using technology easier than others, it often is down to how interested you are in technology. The access to technology was more limited in the past, now you may end up using technology due to peer pressure.

I don't think you can list a "first" technology you will let pass by, because you probably have let so much technology pass you by that you weren't aware of.

Last edited by smf, Jul 12, 2020
  6. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    BlueRay, despite having a beautiful limited edition Blade Runner Voigt-Kampf BlueRay set.
    I intended to get a drive once, but them house moving and streaming starting to be commonplace, I never felt the need.

If only the computers started to have one of those...

alexander1970 likes this.
  7. smileyhead

smileyhead I like cute stuff.

Hungary
    All of those technologies will eventually get cheaper in the coming years/decades, so you needn't worry about them.
    As for 4K, honestly I don't see the point unless you're using a PC and you need the additional space and resolution for work, like photo and video editing, or drawing.

8. Crazynoob458

Crazynoob458 GBAtemp's friendly wii hacker

Australia
    smart home though i have google he and nests

9. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    I feel 4k is too much for gaming. I have 2080 ti and I only use 1080p

Last edited by Mohammed2935, Jul 12, 2020
    smileyhead likes this.
  10. smileyhead

smileyhead I like cute stuff.

Hungary
    Definitely. I've been using a 768p monitor for as long as I've lived and I'm mostly content with it. I'd only like to upgrade to a 1080p one sometime in the future so more stuff can fit on my screen.
    You won't see or even pay attention to your resolution while gaming. Especially on consoles. I feel like it's utterly useless for PlayStation and Xbox to support 4K if you can't even see the difference when sitting 2m away from your TV.

11. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    next gen graphics can be in any resolution hehe even 240p ..... I dont know they market it as one.

12. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah, exactly. I got a free Google Nest Mini. I used it for around a week, and now I don't even keep it plugged in anymore since it doesn't provide anything extra. My phone can do everything it can. And if I want to play music from a better speaker without getting up, I can use Spotify Connect to connect to my PC speakers and play it in higher quality than Google Nest could anyway. so yeah no real advantages for me.

13. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    On 4K in games.
    For long range shooting games (think Operation Flashpoint and its various sequels and descendants) it helps, for RTS it helps though that also wanders into cheat or not territory (if you have more information on the screen then you can react quicker or not have to do a perimeter scan quite as much).
    For most other things yeah you are pushing 4 times as many pixels in what is most likely empty space.
    On the other hand if the gaming types want to bring down the prices of a monitor for me to have nice presentations, video editing, detail diagrams, CAD and spreadsheets on then I am OK with that.

smileyhead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - technology, first,