Hacking What do you think of your R4DS?

What do you think of your R4DS?

• Its great and im keeping it because it plays all my games just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It has a few minor problems but I can live with it

• I ant to upgrade to something better but dont have money

• I HATE THE PIECE OF SHIT AND WANT TO WALK ON IT AND BURN IT INFRONT OF THE MAKERS!

• Don't have one

• Total voters

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
In it's day it was a good card, i still have 2 of them in my desk drawer, but ever since they started to bring in the anti-piracy, and me couldn't be arsed with patching or using YSmenu, i knew it was time to purchase a different card.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one....a real one, not a clone, but I bought a new flashcart (CycloDS) as soon as the R4 team dropped all support for R4.

So while I still technically have the R4, I don't use it for anything.....not even sure where it is at the moment.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I'm in need of an upgrade, but for as long as I've had it, it's worked fine. With YSMenu and the original firmware, compatibility is pretty good. For being the "cheap" flashcart back in the day, it's not bad. People just bash it because they're being flashcart snobs.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did my research before getting my first flashcart so I never bought an R4. Instead I got a Scds1 which 'til this date still receives updates (if I could find where the hell my Scds1 is hiding that is).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Never had one, so can't really tell
closedeyes.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I loved it. I was just going to buy an Passcard + M3 SD, when this baby dropped
wub.gif

Still can remember the feeling I got when I ran my first rom on it (AW DS). I was thinking ' Wow this really works! Amazing, those people at that temp site didn't rip me off! '

Kept it for a year or so, then sold it to a friend for 60 euros (!).
Then I bought an M3Real, then a SuperCard DS One and finally a CycloDS.
Still got the last one, all the rest is gone.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Meh, I'm in need of an upgrade, but for as long as I've had it, it's worked fine. With YSMenu and the original firmware, compatibility is pretty good. For being the "cheap" flashcart back in the day, it's not bad. People just bash it because they're being flashcart snobs.
I agree, with YSMenu it plays all my ROM needs and RTS and RTG aren't that good although I love Real-Time Cheat. I just have active flashcarts which I use a lot more.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would have loved to have seen this thread posted anywhere but in the R4 Section. That would have been fun to read
rofl.gif

For all of its misgivings (and there's enough now to never recommend any flashcart with R4 in its title), I personally think its great to use for what people spend 99% of their time using the DS for....DS games. Its simple, but effective interface, plethora of themes available, simple cheat selection on loading game.

Here I go - Cons for original R4, not clone shite *Disclaimer - Because of the quantity, I may miss some*:
max 2GB msd / max 12 themes to select from / cheat.dat needs trimming to enable proper use / DSi enabled games do not work / a lot of games over past 12mths require Arm7 patching to run, or better method - install YSMenu / firmware not updated anymore (unless using YSMenu - and that could end anytime soon) / can never have RTS, RTC, etc etc...there must be more!

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I like my crappy, old as hell, now unused R4 over my M3i Zero. Seriously.
Maybe I should throw money at a AK2i.

tuddy666

Trophies
XP
Country
YSMenu with the latest unofficial DSTT kernel works just fine, so I'm fine with my original R4. Maybe I'll replace it with an Acekard in the near future, but only if the unofficial DSTT kernel suddenly stops getting updated.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I have the R4 SDHC and so far it's been extremely reliable (I've been using it for a year and a half now), although I'm mostly using it for non problematic games. What I like about it is that it's sturdy and fits almost too well into the slot, so I never get contact issues like on the Acekard 2i. It has even gotten some support lately, although I still don't think more popular copy-protected games work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Worst MS OS in history. Period.