What do you think of long introductions in videogames?

Demifiend

The bored one
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes, when i play a game (Like Golden Sun Dark Dawn) from the beginning, i have to watch the entire introduction, which is pretty long, or the P4 introduction, which is even longer, for me, that kinda ruins the immersion of a game, but it doesn't make it bad sometimes, i'm more of a player that i press start, and i'm going with the game right away.

If i want more details about the story, i check the manual, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less, as simple as that, maybe i'm a little old school though when it comes to that, but as for all of you, what do you think about games that start with 10 minutes or even longer of exposition until you can finally use your character?.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I often play games for the story, so it doesn't bother me unless it's a game that doesn't have any real story. Like how pokemon has long obnoxious sequences of events to follow even though 95% of players you could just throw into the world and they'd know exactly what to do.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends. If the introduction involves gameplay, like Mega Man X's introduction level, I'm all for it. If it's just a long boring cutscene, chances are I won't pick up the game in the first place.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people raved over MGS5's prologue mission. I thought it was terrible. The first mission was fantastic though, and that was kind of like a gameplay intro.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am always a fan of skip buttons being an option.

Anyway good is the better thing, long does not stop things from being good but it does make it a lot harder/provide more opportunities to screw up.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I prefer simpler introductions or at least interactive ones if the story is convoluted enough to need a long one.

Persona and Golden Sun introductions are relentless(except Golden Sun The Lost Age which is short and precise) but at least are playable, not just a wall of text(hello Super Metroid).

The intro that never fails to tire me is Ocarina of Time, long, boring and uuuhhggggg. they just wanted to show off the capabilities of the N64. they did better with Majora's Mask, is shorter and isn't boring.

Want to see an example or two of good introduction?? watch Castlevania Rondo of Blood(extra points for being kickass) or Castlevania Symphony of the Night intro.
another prime example of good intro is Ghosts and Goblins, you are with your bride enjoying a picnic when the big bad comes, kidnap her and you put your armor to rescue her, short and simple.

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, it really all depends on what the purpose of the introduction is. It could be something to bridge the time gap from a previous game or give a new back story into a new series. BUT a skip button is a must if it is something really long. I absolutely hate how games rely on cut scenes to build on the game instead of actual game play. In recent memory, I think Final Fantasy is one of the worst offenders for using video to progress the story. I can't say about any of the Metal Gear stuff since I haven't touched one since the original game on the NES (though for what it did for a introduction was great. "Hey, you are dropped off in enemy territory. Find your contact. Get your mission. Oh and by the way, you might want to get some paper to remember all the call numbers."). The one for Golden Sun is annoying though. I feel like that game moves at a snails pace. The original was super cool because we really had not seen a game of that scale on a handheld before, but I think it lost touch with it's roots by the 3rd one.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all about context and quality of execution, but I don't mind long intros in games that rely heavily on story.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer long intros because they really set the scene for the game. Zelda 1 was very unclear... I remember my first time playing it when I was 3, and didn't no exactly what to do. On the othet hand, Wind Waker has a longish intro and really lets you know whats going on. Back to zelda 1 - I didn't know I was rescuing a princess until the very last dungeon... I knew all along what my mission was in WW.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hated it when TLoZ Wind Waker had its long introduction for its beginning. It's SO fucking annoying!
Maybe your 3rd or 4th time playing it, but it helped 1st and maybe 2nd.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just dislike it if the game puts me in the backseat as a gamer while it is doing the introduction thing.

At its core, the introduction should be about letting you know both who you are, what your goal is, how the world looks like and what the mechanics of the game are. Basically all that's important (and nothing else). If it's done right, they can take all the time they want to introduce the games.

Portal is an interesting one. I've heard (and have to agree) that easily half the game is introduction. It doesn't feel that way because you're busy doing stuff, but it gradually shows you who you are, what the world is and what the mechanics are. And if you break down the first level Super Mario Bros on the NES, you'll see that it introduces players into the game so gradually that they've got all the time to learn how to play.

Final Fantasy 8's beginning was, in retrospect, just bad. Yes, it had an awesome setup and introduction...and then you start playing a game that is pretty much none of that (wielding a gunblade isn't exactly like the intro, and I don't even have a clue how many hours in that "I'll be waiting for you" starts to make sense).

999 (and probably other text adventure games) is an interesting one. There's a HUGE introduction sequence, but because the game focusses on the mystery, the setting and the other characters, it's not a letter too long. In fact, it's even interesting that it spends only the most basic time explaining who you (Jumpei) are in this thing.

D

Deleted User

Long intros are fine as long as they are not boring and drawn out but it should have a skip button anyway for when you've seen it way too many times that it has become boring and drawn out.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the game. A number of games have long intros that don't bother me at all because the story is good and the intros actually introduce you well. Other games take forever and have incredibly boring intros. Its not so much the matter of having a long intro as whether its executed well or not imo.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
The only thing i think about during long games introductions is how many times i can spam every button on the controller/keyboard/console before i can start playing. My poor A button cops it the most but.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't stand long ass tutorial sections but well done long intros that can be skipped as others have stated are 100% cool with me. Just don't treat me like a dumbass who doesn't know how to play games. MGS3 has a LONG intro but you can skip all off it if you want so it doesn't bother me. Same goes for the vast majority of the game's cutscenes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho