1. koohiiwonomimasu69

OP koohiiwonomimasu69 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I've been playing Collection of Mana lately and think it's overpriced for what you get.

The game contains the first three games in the Mana series: Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana. It supports savestates and has a sound test feature. The games have a nice looking border and Final Fantasy Adventure has a few nice filters. They have a very rudimentary manual. But that's where it stops. For $60 AUD* you're not getting very much in return*.

The package is very bare-bones and has no love in it. It's 356MB so there was a lot space left in what I assume is a 4GB cartridge. Scans of the games' original box arts and manuals and concept artwork would have costed very little development time but they're absent. Some filters for the SNES games would have been nice. A fast-forward feature would have reduced the tedium in Trials of Mana because your party slows down whenever enemies are around. Including Sword of Mana, Legend of Mana or both could have made the compilation measurably better value for money but these would have raised development costs to produce a GBA and PS1 emulator (assuming the one included with the Final Fantasy re-releases couldn't be repurposed).

Square Enix decided to charge a lot for a half-complete product because they know idiots (like me) will buy it anyway.

* Full-price games will sell for $80 AUD.

64bitmodels likes this.
  2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    not worth it better to get the remake of som on ps or pc and also trials of mana not the original. the original is garbage! As for Final Fantasy Adventure that's also shit. not even close to worth $80 :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 27, 2020
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Absolutely overpriced for 20+ year old games. I’d have liked to see SNES style boxes with nice artwork plus a manual with at least a few screenshots, but obviously that’s asking too much these days. SNES ports are basically free money, fans will buy regardless and Nintendo knows it.

4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Square released this collection and Nintendo are the ones giving away their roms for practically free. Not that they mind sucking up the licensing fees from Square.

5. CactusMan

CactusMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    I don´t know, main selling point was the translation of Trails of Mana. I realy enjoyed playing being hyped for the remake. But I gues it´s a bit overprised. You could also buy the MegaDrive/Genesis colection made by Sega.
    If Nintendo made a overprised Collection of Mother I gues I would buy thet too.

6. caldeio

caldeio Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I grew up playing the fan translation, it was one of my favorite games!

7. koohiiwonomimasu69

Newcomer

Australia
    I think the original Trials of Mana is better than the remake. The remake is fun to play but a cheap remake of a great game. The other two games in the collection aren't worth playing.

caldeio likes this.
  8. mrgone

mrgone old man

Germany
    ppl buy it for the nostalgia and because trials of mana got translated

MonMonz and caldeio like this.
  9. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Target... Illumiati... All conected...

United States
    I think it's worth the money, though I think they should have included Sword of Mana... I understand why they didn't (outside dev studio probably holds some rights to it still), but Final Fantasy Adventure feels really incomplete compared to Sword of Mana.

10. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    overpriced rom collection with nothing to offer other than an official trials of mana translation. only buy if you want mana on your switch for some weird reason
    get the trials of mana remake instead (not the secret of mana one though, that is complete and utter trash)

11. SusumuNoDS

SusumuNoDS Member
    Newcomer

France
    [​IMG]
    That's remake

PiracyForTheMasses likes this.
  12. FamicomHeero

FamicomHeero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't have it but I've heard mixed at best. I loved the old games though. I wish SE would put more effort into their re-releases.

13. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Game does not look like that on my tv. That's the advantages of using a crt. You dont see that pixelization. Game looks smooth for me. Smoothness is why i game on a crt.

If they upped the resolution then the game would be really small. They would have to redo then entire game. and then it would be a remake

14. koohiiwonomimasu69

Newcomer

Australia
    I thought the main advantage of CRTs is they don't have input lag or fixed pixels so resolution drops don't make games look blurry. The right filter should make retro games look better on a 1080p screen.

15. Captain_N

United States
    Yep the no input lag is unmatched. imagine loading a snes with no extra boxes on an 8k screen lol. Its go to look like a zoomed in bitmap at that point.

As for the price i got mine for $32 physical copy. I wonder if yours is higher because of currency exchange and/or taxes in imports. The physical versions are usually $10 because the companies are passing the cart cost onto the customers. Im one of those that will pay extra for a physical copy, but not that much more Or ill wait till its on sale/used. I'm currently playing Trials of mana remake on switch. I really like it. It still has the secret of mana feel.

16. koohiiwonomimasu69

Newcomer

Australia
    That's still way better than the 50hz composite shit we got in the day. Digital video was a boon for PAL gamers. 50hz became history and in Australia RGB compatible screens were rare as rocking horse shit. Nowdays the best easy option is an emulator and screen with very low input lag and a good CRT filter.
    The physical copy is currently on sale for $30 AUD. I should have waited.

Last edited by koohiiwonomimasu69, Jun 7, 2020
  17. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    is it bad that i actually like that the game looks like that? maybe its because ive never seen it displayed on a crt in my life but it looks normal to me, at least by snes standards

18. Captain_N

United States
    Not at all. If you like it thats cool. I was just merely explain why it looks as it does. I remember playing ms dos games also in the 1990s when i was a kid and i was like why do the pc cames look pixulated and the snes /nes games dont. Now of course i understand. the crt pc monitors were higher pixel count the a standard crt. Once emulation started with nes and super nes in 1995 i was able to see what nes and snes games looked like on a pc monitor. and they also was pixelated.

64bitmodels likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Collection,