What do you think is a good tablet pc?

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I was going to get a tablet pc for going away. I've already googled it and the three I like are: Motorola XOOM, Blackberry Playbook and ASUS EEE Pad, Feel free to suggest something.
I like android.. don't really like iOS it has good support for developers but crappy OS and crappy company IMO
ASUS EEE pad is just like a netbook IMO.
And for the Blacckberry.. we'll see.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Meh.

The iPad 2, in all seriousness, is going to be the better tablet, when compared to its only real competitor, the Xoom.

From what I've seen of the Xoom, it's a nice device. I don't have the specs on hand (if they've even been released), but the UI is very nice.

That said, the iPad already has a pletheora of apps available at launch, most of which being better than their android counterparts (assuming we're not talking about ports, here). The Xoom, despite having several "launch" apps that have been improved or the device, has a few not working, as of the latest "hands on" that I've seen, due to the honeycomb split.

For at least a while longer, iOS will have much stronger support on the developer's side of things, and that will lead me to name the iPad 2 the victor here.

Also: don't get a tablet. It's completely novelty value. It's too large to work as a useful pmp, most of the games are available on different (and cheaper) devices, and without a manual keyboard (which, IIRC are being made by some third party company, but still) can't be reasonably used for work.

It's like...3:40 am and I can't think of anything else to say.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
Meh.

The iPad 2, in all seriousness, is going to be the better tablet, when compared to its only real competitor, the Xoom.

From what I've seen of the Xoom, it's a nice device. I don't have the specs on hand (if they've even been released), but the UI is very nice.

That said, the iPad already has a pletheora of apps available at launch, most of which being better than their android counterparts (assuming we're not talking about ports, here). The Xoom, despite having several "launch" apps that have been improved or the device, has a few not working, as of the latest "hands on" that I've seen, due to the honeycomb split.

For at least a while longer, iOS will have much stronger support on the developer's side of things, and that will lead me to name the iPad 2 the victor here.

Also: don't get a tablet. It's completely novelty value. It's too large to work as a useful pmp, most of the games are available on different (and cheaper) devices, and without a manual keyboard (which, IIRC are being made by some third party company, but still) can't be reasonably used for work.

It's like...3:40 am and I can't think of anything else to say.
Well I was thinking of a mid range laptop then.. But I want something small and with 3G so maybe a MacBook Air or ASUS EEE

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like a tablet with a full blown OS(Windows 7) I'm actually getting one as soon as my money goes through. Since there aren't many I've been looking at Chinese made tablets.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Take this from a guy with a laptop.

You won't use it.

Save your money, man! No point in throwing it out the window when you already have a perfectly working computer!

I mean, how often are you out of the house, in an area with wifi, and just so happen to be carrying an expensive peice of technology with you? Unless you spend your life at Starbucks, there's really no point.

TheDarkSeed said:
I personally like a tablet with a full blown OS(Windows 7) I'm actually getting one as soon as my money goes through. Since there aren't many I've been looking at Chinese made tablets.

As opposed to the ones without operating systems?

IIRC, Windows tablets run a version of Windows Mobile OS (similarly named Windows 7 for marketing purposes) lolno.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
Having owned several Windows-based tablets, I can say with all certainty that its a waste of time to get a tablet built on a platform not designed for tablets.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
Take this from a guy with a laptop.

You won't use it.

Save your money, man! No point in throwing it out the window when you already have a perfectly working computer!

I mean, how often are you out of the house, in an area with wifi, and just so happen to be carrying an expensive peice of technology with you? Unless you spend your life at Starbucks, there's really no point.
We don't even have starbucks here
angry.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
That's what cellular data is for, which all these tablets support.

QUOTEIIRC, Windows tablets run a version of Windows Mobile OS (similarly named Windows 7 for marketing purposes)
Uh, no?

Tablets running desktop Windows have been commonplace for at least the last decade.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
monkat said:

Yep!

But at that point in the thread, he was looking at a laptop as well, which probably will not.

Urza said:
IIRC, Windows tablets run a version of Windows Mobile OS (similarly named Windows 7 for marketing purposes)
Uh, no?

Tablets running desktop Windows have been commonplace for at least the last decade.

Alright, my mistake then. Hence why I prefaced it with IIRC.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Urza said:
monkat said:
Yep!

But at that point in the thread, he was looking at a laptop as well, which probably will not.
That's what cellular laptop modems are for.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I see those people at starbucks all the time. sometimes I'm on the road and want to watch a video or something. some of the tablets ive seen have a 320gb Hard drive. And I don't want a device that has to be dependent on another computer to access my content. if I can get something with that much advantage over the iPad 2 for about the same price, then it's right up my alley.

Urza said:
TheDarkSeed said:
Having owned several Windows-based tablets, I can say with all certainty that its a waste of time to get a tablet built on a platform not designed for tablets.
One of the major disadvantages of running win7 on a tablet is the touch screen isn't as responsive as it is on Android and iOS. I hear it's being optimized to work better with tablets though.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TheDarkSeed said:
Yeah I see those people at starbucks all the time. sometimes I'm on the road and want to watch a video or something. some of the tablets ive seen have a 320gb Hard drive. And I don't want a device that has to be dependent on another computer to access my content. if I can get something with that much advantage over the iPad 2 for about the same price, then it's right up my alley.

Urza said:
TheDarkSeed said:
One of the major disadvantages of running win7 on a tablet is the touch screen isn't as responsive as it is on Android and iOS. I hear it's being optimized to work better with tablets though.
To some degree, they are. Ultimately, all they're really doing is getting Windows 7 and layering it with more software to become more touch friendly. The foundation of the OS is more or less still based on a desktop design. I guess there's a small market for it, but the large majority are going to want to go for a tablet with a mobile OS. Personally, I've found iOS to become stale as of late, but I've got nothing against iPads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies