What do you think is a good tablet pc?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sop, Mar 11, 2011.

Mar 11, 2011
  1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I was going to get a tablet pc for going away. I've already googled it and the three I like are: Motorola XOOM, Blackberry Playbook and ASUS EEE Pad, Feel free to suggest something.
    I like android.. don't really like iOS it has good support for developers but crappy OS and crappy company IMO
    ASUS EEE pad is just like a netbook IMO.
    And for the Blacckberry.. we'll see.

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Meh.

The iPad 2, in all seriousness, is going to be the better tablet, when compared to its only real competitor, the Xoom.

From what I've seen of the Xoom, it's a nice device. I don't have the specs on hand (if they've even been released), but the UI is very nice.

That said, the iPad already has a pletheora of apps available at launch, most of which being better than their android counterparts (assuming we're not talking about ports, here). The Xoom, despite having several "launch" apps that have been improved or the device, has a few not working, as of the latest "hands on" that I've seen, due to the honeycomb split.

For at least a while longer, iOS will have much stronger support on the developer's side of things, and that will lead me to name the iPad 2 the victor here.

Also: don't get a tablet. It's completely novelty value. It's too large to work as a useful pmp, most of the games are available on different (and cheaper) devices, and without a manual keyboard (which, IIRC are being made by some third party company, but still) can't be reasonably used for work.

It's like...3:40 am and I can't think of anything else to say.

3. Sop
    OP

Australia
    Well I was thinking of a mid range laptop then.. But I want something small and with 3G so maybe a MacBook Air or ASUS EEE

4. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I personally like a tablet with a full blown OS(Windows 7) I'm actually getting one as soon as my money goes through. Since there aren't many I've been looking at Chinese made tablets.

5. monkat

United States
    Take this from a guy with a laptop.

You won't use it.

Save your money, man! No point in throwing it out the window when you already have a perfectly working computer!

I mean, how often are you out of the house, in an area with wifi, and just so happen to be carrying an expensive peice of technology with you? Unless you spend your life at Starbucks, there's really no point.

As opposed to the ones without operating systems?

IIRC, Windows tablets run a version of Windows Mobile OS (similarly named Windows 7 for marketing purposes) lolno.

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Having owned several Windows-based tablets, I can say with all certainty that its a waste of time to get a tablet built on a platform not designed for tablets.

7. Sop
    OP

Australia
    We don't even have starbucks here [​IMG]

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Uh, no?

Tablets running desktop Windows have been commonplace for at least the last decade.

9. monkat

United States
    Alright, my mistake then. Hence why I prefaced it with IIRC.

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    That's what cellular laptop modems are for.

11. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Yeah I see those people at starbucks all the time. sometimes I'm on the road and want to watch a video or something. some of the tablets ive seen have a 320gb Hard drive. And I don't want a device that has to be dependent on another computer to access my content. if I can get something with that much advantage over the iPad 2 for about the same price, then it's right up my alley.

One of the major disadvantages of running win7 on a tablet is the touch screen isn't as responsive as it is on Android and iOS. I hear it's being optimized to work better with tablets though.

12. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    To some degree, they are. Ultimately, all they're really doing is getting Windows 7 and layering it with more software to become more touch friendly. The foundation of the OS is more or less still based on a desktop design. I guess there's a small market for it, but the large majority are going to want to go for a tablet with a mobile OS. Personally, I've found iOS to become stale as of late, but I've got nothing against iPads.

13. Sop
    OP

Australia
    So what's you guy's final opinion?

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    iPad 2.