What do you think are the best fourth wall breaks in gaming?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just finished Bravely Second (The Bravely games are excellent by the way), and without spoiling anything, I'll say that it does fourth wall breaking the right way. It happens in a way that immerses the player rather than break that immersion. What are some other games with really good fourth wall breaks? More specifically, what games break the fourth wall to enhance the story? Undertale comes to mind but frankly, I'm afraid to mention that game.

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just finished Bravely Second (The Bravely games are excellent by the way), and without spoiling anything, I'll say that it does fourth wall breaking the right way. It happens in a way that immerses the player rather than break that immersion. What are some other games with really good fourth wall breaks? Undertale comes to mind but frankly, I'm afraid to mention that game.

Danganronpa V3 ending is probably the most fourth wall break in gaming.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My favorite is also probably the first one i encountered. It's in the secret of monkey island. At one point you (Guybrush Threepwood) is talking to Stan, who... Probably would still win the prize for best video game sales guy (the optimism! The arm waving :D).
So at this point in the game you want to buy a boat, and he wants to sell you one. And his sales speech goes pretty wild. So one of the reply options you get is asking him who he's talking to. Chosing that option makes him say "to the audience, of course".
At this point, you (Guybrush) stare into the camera for a second, then goes 'oh...right', and then the conversation continues as if nothing happened.

... But for modern games, i agree that the Stanley parable will be pretty hard to match. Being a pawn in someone's game is actually what the game is about. The narrator replies to pretty much anything you do in n awesome way.

Drake1427

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The "Disgaea" series is one big 4th wall break after another, especially the first game. "Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman" another Nippon Ichi game has some of them too.

Last edited by Drake1427,

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Metal Gear Solid

Meryl's codec frequency... I think I tried checking the MO disk i had in my inventory 10 times before I checked the back of the CD case. GOOD job sir!
Psycho Mantis too, it was clever and very cool.

the remake had some more 4rth wall breaking "gag" but they were more obvious and less clever though when you are in the Darpa Chief's cell and the camera shifts you expect snake to be there but he isn't and he is up there in the corner like a Jackie Chan Spider. That was cool.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should have been more clear in the OP. I *meant* fourth wall breaks that enhance the story or cause a psychological effect on the player. Don't get me wrong, fourth wall jokes and gags are great (maybe a couple people in this thread would disagree), but I was looking for those games that use it as a plot device.

D

Deleted User

I should have been more clear in the OP. I *meant* fourth wall breaks that enhance the story or cause a psychological effect on the player. Don't get me wrong, fourth wall jokes and gags are great (maybe a couple people in this thread would disagree), but I was looking for those games that use it as a plot device.

The Stanley Parable fits that description.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse