What do you think about Manhunt players?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by test84, Nov 10, 2007.

?

What do you think about Manhunt players?

1. They are masochist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They want to do violence but since they cant do in real life, they ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They are normal players with interest in violence.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They are normal at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 10, 2007
  1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    what do u think.

2. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    They're just normal people. I think that's what option 4 is?

3. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

4. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Good question. I think it's a mix. However, I think likely that a person with a sense of powerlessness concerning their real life would naturally be drawn to a game or other diversion (book, movie) that would virtually give them power. The type of power may not even be consequential. I used to love watching certain anime because it gave me a feeling like I could go up to a building, touch it lightly, and it would split apart and crumble to the ground as I walked carelessly through the rubble. I didn't want to actually tear buildings apart, though I'd make a mint in the construction business if I had that particular power, I just wanted to make tangible the feeling of power that I knew I had in me, but couldn't express.

I think I made the coffee a little too strong this morning.

5. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    I like the game because I like stealth games. Like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid. The gore factor adds to it quenching that Mortal Kombat "Fatality" thirst for fans of the horror genre as well.

Don't think you have to be a type of person to like something. It's like saying "if you like fried chicken you're from the south."

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
  7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Depends on the person who is playing the Manhunt game.

8. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Linkiboy is right. I can't say I'd play the game personally, but it's unfair to label all Manhunt players as masochists. Does that mean that all FPS gamers are likely to shoot someone in reality? Does playing a racing game make you a professional driver? If I play a fighting game should I enter a martial arts tournament? The answer to all these rhetorical questions is no, of course. Playing a game like Manhunt doesn't make you a sociopath. I'd even argue that for some people with anger issues it could be therapeutic.

9. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Manhunt players are people who like to play fun games.

10. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    But manhunt 2 isn't fun [​IMG]

11. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    First one was

12. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I play Manhunt...but on no means am I psychotic or murderous.

Just a way to have fun.
    You can kill folks, without really killing someone.

I guess you can say that sometimes it releases anger, by playing these types of games?

13. two40

Newcomer two40 Member

Australia
    just another game. no need to look in to it on a psychological level. we have all played one game or another that has killed something or someone whether it be ww2 games or the sims.

fancy that, in the sims you can lock a person in a room and watch them wallow in their own faecies without food and water and no one cares because graphically it's not as bad. do you really need graphics to make something bad? isn't the act of locking up a person and watching them suffer bad enough? just the notion of doing it rather than the representation. meh, they're just games in the end.

14. test84
    OP

Iran
    i think its different form other games, since most countries are afraid of it and got rid of it, its not its gore, its deeper.

i have a friend, and really makes me sad to hear his impatiently wait to play manhunt 2, you have to hear for urself how he talks about ways of killing.

he is a good guy, one of my best friends, but i see that this game awakens some inner beast or something within him, and feeds it a little.

why would u want to go and put a glass shard into someone's head? (as i recall from first game, havent seen second one), its far different from FPS or RPG or racing game, dont be an idiot.

most gruesome FPS games are not even near manhunt, whats most gruesome FPS? they dont even compare.

do u guys really put Manhunt and Burnout on same equation as games? no.
    thats wrong.

need for speed (pun here!) and need for gore are two seperate matters.
    they dont take you to shrink for need for speed, but they do for seeking joy of tearing someone apart, the most gruesome way.

i'm sad to see this game.
    and more sad to see what most of your reactions are, see the poll's results for urself, you decided that they are normal players, normal at all.

its sad.

15. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    ... its just a video game

/end thread

16. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    So true.. So true..

~Nero

17. test84
    OP

Iran
    yes? and why its banned all over the world?
    if they are same as other games, why they dont ban NFS:Pro street?
    that is a video game too.

18. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    It's banned in a lot of places because there are a bunch of people who think that a game can affect a person to the point of them doing what they do in the game in real life.

It's not like pressing a bunch of buttons to stab someone in the head with a glass shard is the same as actually doing the action in real life.

Besides, for the most part, I think games like this (although Manhunt is a bit more extreme than most) are good releases for pent up anger or stress.
    I'd much rather some guy load up a game and smash up a bunch of virtual characters than have them snap in real life and do something they can't undo.

19. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    My little 6 year old cousin plays San Andreas.

Pfft, he's fine.

~Nero

20. two40

Newcomer two40 Member

Australia
    which countries have actually banned this game? from memory its only england and ireland and the brit ban goes back to some bs political thing regarding the first game. everywhere else the game has received an adults only or equiavalent rating which pretty much means it will not be accepted by the console manufacturers because they themselves consider they are 'family' home entertainment systems. give me a #$%#ing break. i'm an adult and i can decide what to PLAY.

in about an hour im off to watch Saw 4. now there's a messed up movie series if i ever saw one and a kid can go watch it at the movies. what's the difference? just because games are interactive does that make them so much more worse than watching the same level of violence?