Hardware What do you still use Nintendo 3DS for now that the Switch exists?

signer-ink-beast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the only console I could turn on and touch when I was addressing trauma-related stuff that made all the general leisure tasks way more difficult thanks to its design (and with a N3DS having its power button outside the clamshell instead of inside, the only barrier besides dissociation was just opening it, which was challenging for a while). That was the period of time where I couldn't even turn on a TV, forget about any set-top consoles. No videos, no music, no podcasts, no reading for pleasure. Just get flashbacks when I used to try any of that.

It's not like that for me now. I can play set tops and do most things without a big struggle. It's mainly just tough in flashbacks and some time after the initial grounding process. I mainly struggle with watching proper shows or movies by myself vs stuff on YouTube and the like. I do still do better with company.

These days my 3DS has gotten less usage since I have been wanting to emulate some games on a larger screen, and embraced my laptop complete with a modern controller for PC games and use with emulators. Deep-diving into older pinball games got me using the emulators a lot lately, especially the Crush Pinball series. Got to try RetroArch on the PC along with some other consoles I have that can run it besides my 3DS, which I was already well acquainted with, but it still gets its use when I don't want to use the computer or a set-top console for games.

The library is pretty humongous counting the DS and 3DS libraries alone. All handheld games can be played on it except for PSP and Vita. Emulation is surprisingly good on the N3DS. PS1 is better than I ever thought it would be on it. Plus lots of point and clicks, homebrew games (DS and 3DS). Good stuff.

I don't have a Switch due to lack of interest in consoles at this point. I use my computer now for the newer stuff when I am up to it.

• Sad
Reactions: Takokeshi and 3bbb7

leventsur

Trophies
XP
Country
Gabon
Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games purchased through Nintendo eShop do not carry over to Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch is an all-new way to play, and does not include backwards compatibility with digital or physical games designed for other systems.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games purchased through Nintendo eShop do not carry over to Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch is an all-new way to play, and does not include backwards compatibility with digital or physical games designed for other systems.
(3)DS games period don't translate well to other systems, so I've been using my 3DS to catch up on that library. I've been capable of emulating but I prefer gaming in bed. I guess it's possible with streaming to my switch but the switch has a much bigger form factor.

I use mine recently to play through the Kirby and Metroid series, along with whatever exclusives I remember.

Reactions: Takokeshi

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a 3DS... I mean I love the Switch, but the 3DS is one of those systems that can not easily be fully recreated and appreciated on another system. 2 Screens being a major barrier here, and glasses-free stereoscopic 3D being a big feature you'll be hard-pressed to find elsewhere; you might be able to experience one or even both of these with the right kind of PC set-up (do they make glasses-free 3D monitors?), but the Switch isn't going to be able to scratch a true 3DS itch, likewise for a good Wii U itch.

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Digital Camera and Emulation Platform. Having both RetroArch and the VC engines to add retro games to it makes it perfect. As for being a digital camera, it's not the greatest, but I love that it can reproduce the depth of photos and it feels like that makes it perfect for reproducing memories. I know the screen is pretty small and renders the pictures "decently", but haven't tried loading those MPOs up in my Quest yet to see if they still look alright in 3D on something bigger.

Reactions: Tsukiru

Chupi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is nice and all, but it doesn't fit in my pocket and needs a protective case to travel with it. The 3DS doesn't have sticks protruding, closes to protect its screens, and fits easily in a pocket.

Reactions: Takokeshi

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
We have good games and homebrew and the switch does not. At least we dont have a bunch of little kids running around on their 3ds lites or an epik pro gamer playing the 3ds oled/pro. The 3ds's simplicity is what I think makes it good and Chad compared to the switch. Also we can play ds games, which makes the library even bigger, it isn't just a bunch of Wii u ports, and we don't have to pay to play online or anything.

actualkoifish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still playing 3DS because I still have 3DS games that I want to play. I still haven't beaten even all of the games that I currently have, and there are more that I want to play that I don't even own yet. I do not have to move on from unfinished business just because of new shiny plastic.

I will also say that I my feelings on the switch are apathetic, but that's not because I think it is a bad platform. It is simply because my priorities have changed in life, and I don't care as much about following new hardware and about playing new games as I used to. As I also already have more games than I will ever actually finish, there is no reason for me to go out and also buy every new hardware and exacerbate the situation.

What's more, I have little reason to buy new hardware because I am rarely impressed by the games anymore. I started on 8-bit machines, and lived through the 2D to 3D transition, then the HD transition, and am now seeing games run in real time that look disturbingly accurate to real life. The visual jumps have been incredible to see, but I find it has dragged along with it a dull and uninspired gameplay experience. Gone are the feelings of uniqueness; If anything, many games feel like they could be clones of each other. The only place left that modern achievements can enthrall me is in VR; My experiences with oculus rift, then quest, and most recently PSVR, have brought me incredible joy, and games as complex as Pavlov or as simple as Gorilla Tag do more to amuse me than a thousand high-budget cinematic tragedies or open world trash hunts.

Of course, you would then say "but many interesting small games are on switch", and you would be right. However, they are also on PC, and likely a dozen other systems. As a result, I tend to just play them there, especially true for PC, as it is the only platform left with the common sense to not charge players for an online fee.

To that end, 3DS is one of the few modern platforms where you will find offbeat or unusual games. As such, I find little reason to go away from it, and rather would like to continue playing it for a long time. I am grateful that it has many games that I can enjoy as well, so as to keep me coming back to the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-