What do you need to be able to play ROMs on a DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Tokyo Jihen, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Tokyo Jihen
    OP

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have both a DS and DSLite and I want to start putting ROMs on it as opposed to carrying my entire game library with me everywhere. I know that you need a flash cart (I think I will get an Acekard2i) and an sd card, but is there anything else that you need? I just want to play DS games and maybe put a GBA or SNES emulator on there. Do I need a passcard? Thanks for clearing it up.

2. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Once upon a time, before the advent of slot-1 flashcarts ( such as the excellent AK2i that you mentioned and I would dearly recommend to you ) , there was a need of a pass me device in order to boot nds software from the slot-2.
    Nowadays , you just get your flashcart of choice, update to the latest firmware, transfer your software on the SD card and you are good to go ! No pass me of flash me required anymore.
    Enjoy.

3. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    However, please note that you cannot have a GBA emulator on a slot-1 flashcard unless said card is a Supercard DSTWO or another one (which I forget its name). However, the Acekard 2i is a great choice, and if you install AKAIO on it (an alternative operating system) you will have unprecedented ROM compatibility. Enjoy.

4. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    Skyline,the other card(that supports NDS roms too) is EX4DS.However,the DSTWO is beating it(right now).

5. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    You need a flashcart(Recommended are AK2i, SCDS2), a MicroSD/HC and the firmwares of the cart.
    If you got an AK2i, you can always check on tksaturn's guides. They're stickied in the AK forum of gbatemp.

If you get a DS2, there are also guides for them

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    To clarify, an Acekard 2i cannot play GBA games. You cannot play GBA games from a Slot-1 (the DS slot) flash cart unless it's emulating it, and the only cards that can emulate a GBA properly are the Supercard DSTwo and the EX4i, both of which are a chunk more expensive than the 2i, but well worth it from what people say.

7. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    It's pretty straight forward, if you want to play ROMs on a DS, all you need is a Slot-1 flashcart, a microSD card, and a microSD adapter of some sort..

If you're interested in GBA and SNES games on your DS, I think you should wait a few days first.
    See, the Supercard DStwo, is supposed to have a SNES emulator be released in just a few days, it could be really good. There was already a SNES emulator called SNEmulDS for flashcarts, that unfortunately wasn't very good.

If it turns out the SNES emulator is great, I'd say buy the acekard! If it turns out the SNES emulator is not worth it, I'd say buy the Acekard 2i, and an EZ Flash 3in1, for your GBA games instead.

8. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    iplayer plays gba too

9. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Not that there's any reason to buy one, its GBA emulator is out-dated and out-classed now, and the iPlayer only supports homebrew, no ROMs.

10. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Most of it is all straight-forward.
    You need a flashcart,
    you need a slot-2 (Ez Flash 3in1 usually) unless you get a Supercard DSTWO, iPlayer, or EX4DS...
    you need brains.
    If you have all three, then you are all set.

11. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    if im right the IPlayer was made by the supercard team, correct?
    THAT Means
    THEY REALLY DON'T SUPPORT THEIR PRODUCTS, any more\

first time i knew that...

12. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    iPlayer is not for playing roms. It's a movie player, mp3 player, and other media stuff.
    Yea it can play gba games and was made by SC team but they have a more important product to manage_the DS two.
    So if the new flashcart can play GBA games, why would they focus more in the iPlayer?

13. Tokyo Jihen
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I will just stick to SNES and DS emulators and ROMs. Since the Acekard 2.1 is slightly cheaper and I don't even have a DSi, I will probably get the 2.1. [​IMG]

14. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If you are looking at the Acekard 2.1 and are looking for it to cheap, you can get the 1:1 R4 and it will do the same stuff with the exception that it only works with MicroSD cards upto 2GB. The interface is even the same.

They are as cheap as chips, ShopTemp do them for $6 and are fine as your first cart. You can always see how you get along with it and get a DSTWO later once all the SNES emulators etc have been sorted out if you decide you like it. As you also have 2 consoles, even if you later buy a DSTWO it could still come in handy as a spare.

Otherwise I would get the Acekard 2i over the Acekard 2.1. The reason being that with the 3DS coming early next year, there will be massive sales on the DSi XL and it will be a good time to pick one up.

15. Tokyo Jihen
    OP

United States
    Ahh, I'll probably get the Acekard2i then. Seems there's a lot more features compared to the R4(which I may want to take advantage of later on). Thanks again.