what do you mean by download play?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by gatorade, Apr 1, 2007.

Apr 1, 2007
  1. gatorade
    OP

Member gatorade GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard download play mentioned a couple times in this site and that some flashcarts don't do so well with it. What exactly is download play? Just download w/e and it works fine?

2. rice151

Member rice151 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well there is two kinds of download play but in regards to the site, it specifically means Single Card Download Play.

Basically, some games can be played wirelessly with other DS's even if the other person doesn't have the exact same game. Flashcarts usually "patch" a rom so it can be read on the flashcart (I think [​IMG] ) So when you patch it, it screws up some wireless encryption (NSA?) so it fails to load on other ppl's DSs

3. gatorade
    OP

United States
    whats the other one?

are both the g6 and the m3 lite the same in download play?

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    There is only one kind of download play. It refers to having one or more players join a multiplayer game by going into the DS menu and clicking the 'DS Download Play' option.

As far as I can tell, the G6 has no download play capability. With the M3 Simply, I've successfully hosted download play for several games. Not a single one of those games would work for download play when running from the G6 lite. I don't know if the M3 lite is any different from the G6 in this respect.

5. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    download play works on most slot 1 flash carts, with a slot 2 flash cart you will need to flash the receiving ds, there are a few exceptions to this, on game that dont have a data check such as custom robo, bomberman land touch, download play is you sending a mini game to someone who does not have the game, im surprised you are asking such a simple question, when you turn on your ds, the download play button is in between the Start GBA and start ds game slots in the middle of your screen, next to pictochat.

6. gatorade
    OP

United States
    i don't have a ds lol

i'm just trying to figure out if the cart i'm purchasing for my gba will be any good on the nds (in terms of nds functionality)

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Most GBA cards have excellent DS compatibility; it's easier to get DS compatibility than GBA compatibility. Don't worry about the DS now; get a good GBA card (M3, G6, EZF4), and you'll have good DS functionality as well, once you get yor DS (and a Passcard [​IMG] ).

My advice is to get an M3 or G6 for now, and later on get an R4 with your DS. That way you get the best overall compatibility (homebrew, Opera browser, download play, GBA, DS).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gatorade
    OP

United States
    thanks for the advice

9. rice151

Member rice151 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    By two types, I mean Single Card Download Play and Multicard Download Play.

10. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Please explain what you mean by 'Multicard Download Play'.

11. gatorade
    OP

United States
    please do, as I'm curious also

12. Godot0102

Newcomer Godot0102 Advanced Member

United States
    I got pokemon trozei to work with download play, i use a slot-1+slot-2 supercard lite combination, other than that i havnt got any of the other games to work.

13. Lurick

Newcomer Lurick Advanced Member

United States
    I think you're confusing "download play" in general with all games that have a WiFi multiplayer option. Yes, there are many games like this, some with aspects that allow you to play with other people ... a few of these require both players to have the game, others make use of Download Play to "lend" that part of the game to another, cardless DS. It's important to note, here, that there's no such thing as "multicard download play." At the very least, I've never heard of it, and by the looks of things, nor has anybody else that's posted here.

If there are two DS's with the same game, there's nothing to download, so using multiplayer features would not utilize actual "Download" Play.

Indeed, all Download Play is "single card," because it basically entails someone with the game uploading a portion of it to someone without it.