ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
So I finally begin writing a novel I have been working on for the past 3 years. Two things I want to focus on is plot twist and character development as I believe those are some of the most important aspects of any story. Plot twist keep readers into the story without it every feeling too boring and character development is always fun as you can see characters grow without them becoming to static.

The thing I want to know is, what do you guys like out of a good story? Whatever comes to mind...

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No sparkling vampires, for one...

No, seriously though... IMHO, a good book shows you that there is more to the setting than what the characters are on about. I mean, most stories go 'if you defeat [insert big baddie's name] everything is good in the world' or 'if [main character] ends up with [romantic interest] they ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after'.

I mean, have some scope, right?

Good luck on writing!

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer a book with good description, no overkill. Nice remember able characters, going for a goal. Fighting is always good, and a touch of mystery.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to cover the main bases, I always look for interesting characters, themes, etc. I think most people would agree with me there.

Also, I think a good novel should be more than just a book; it should be an experience. The reader should feel like they just underwent a journey into the world of the novel and the inner lives of its protagonists. That feeling makes reading the story so rewarding and worthwhile.

Reactions: 2 people

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pictures... I like pictures :P

I prefer a lot of depth into the characters you may have in the book and it needs to show throughout the whole story (bit by bit and some reflection from what's happening which will show growth in that character) to show the complexity of that character. Plus if it can intertwine all together to make complete sense in the end but not like some novels I've read where it rushes everything at the end and its just what...?

I just hope you won't do those novels and it ends with "and he/she/they wake and realise it was a dream". haha Or start the story with "he/she/they died". Hate those with a passion.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awsum grafix dood!
And must be entirely original without a single idea taken from elsewhere or else I'll type in CAPITAL LETTERS and boycott the publisher!

Seriously though, I'll read just about anything. Though there are certainly authors whose work I follow more than others; Bret Easton Ellis, Walter Mosley, Alan Moore, Frank Herbert (I've read the first four Dune books multiple times)...

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
generally, there must be something interesting in it to keep me reading.
by that i mean that there must be almost always something to look forward to after each sentence, paragraph or chapter.

i love twists as long as it stays in line with the story.

i don't mind if it doesn't have pictures but stuff must be described properly. but not too much.

plus gahar's post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality