What do you like from a good book

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by JinTrigger, Jun 27, 2012.

Jun 27, 2012
  1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    So I finally begin writing a novel I have been working on for the past 3 years. Two things I want to focus on is plot twist and character development as I believe those are some of the most important aspects of any story. Plot twist keep readers into the story without it every feeling too boring and character development is always fun as you can see characters grow without them becoming to static.

The thing I want to know is, what do you guys like out of a good story? Whatever comes to mind...

2. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    No sparkling vampires, for one...

No, seriously though... IMHO, a good book shows you that there is more to the setting than what the characters are on about. I mean, most stories go 'if you defeat [insert big baddie's name] everything is good in the world' or 'if [main character] ends up with [romantic interest] they ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after'.

I mean, have some scope, right?

Good luck on writing!

3. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

what I like from a good book?
    its movie adaptation

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    I prefer a book with good description, no overkill. Nice remember able characters, going for a goal. Fighting is always good, and a touch of mystery.

5. chains_of_androm

Member chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol everyone has different tastes...plus many great books do not have any plot twists.

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Just to cover the main bases, I always look for interesting characters, themes, etc. I think most people would agree with me there.

Also, I think a good novel should be more than just a book; it should be an experience. The reader should feel like they just underwent a journey into the world of the novel and the inner lives of its protagonists. That feeling makes reading the story so rewarding and worthwhile.

2 people like this.
  7. Icealote

Member Icealote My Winter...

Australia
    Pictures... I like pictures :P

I prefer a lot of depth into the characters you may have in the book and it needs to show throughout the whole story (bit by bit and some reflection from what's happening which will show growth in that character) to show the complexity of that character. Plus if it can intertwine all together to make complete sense in the end but not like some novels I've read where it rushes everything at the end and its just what...?

I just hope you won't do those novels and it ends with "and he/she/they wake and realise it was a dream". haha Or start the story with "he/she/they died". Hate those with a passion.

8. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    awsum grafix dood!
    And must be entirely original without a single idea taken from elsewhere or else I'll type in CAPITAL LETTERS and boycott the publisher!

Seriously though, I'll read just about anything. Though there are certainly authors whose work I follow more than others; Bret Easton Ellis, Walter Mosley, Alan Moore, Frank Herbert (I've read the first four Dune books multiple times)...

9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    generally, there must be something interesting in it to keep me reading.
    by that i mean that there must be almost always something to look forward to after each sentence, paragraph or chapter.

i love twists as long as it stays in line with the story.

i don't mind if it doesn't have pictures but stuff must be described properly. but not too much.

plus gahar's post.