Gaming What do you do when you find a series of games?

TeddyPain

OP
Trophies
Waving to black people in the hood in my car.
XP
Country
United States
It's sorta hard to explain, but I'll keep it brief. Like, perhaps I'm new to final fantasy games and I've heard that that the 4th one is the best on out of all of them. I wouldn't want to play it right away, and start at 1 so I can enjoy the storyline better. Which one do you do? Do you like to scramble your games up? Or do you have to play the 1st one and so on. Sorta hard to explain, but I hope you got the jist of it.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FF games aren't related to each other. Each game has its own separate story. The only exceptions are FF X and FF 13 which have sequels. Also don't bother with the original FF, the game mechanics have aged horribly.

Reactions: 1 person

Singularity_UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't even bother with I, II and III; they're okay RPGs but you won't see why the series is so praised until you play IV; it's amazing. Get it, now.

Since discovering Final Fantasy with XIII April 2010, I've gone back and finished:

IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, and a bunch of spin-offs too.

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If it has the plot that runs through the series, I start with first game. If not, I usually go for the one with best reviews.

edit. FFIII on DS is not so bad. It's just simple.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I usually play which one I can get my hands on first. Whether that's the fifth game in the series or the first, I don't mind. I simply try to bridge the gap with my own storylines until I can play the other games to understand.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the series I follow typically have non-linear sequels. Thus, no need to start at the first unless I want to. Typically, I start wherever is most convenient; if I can get the game with the best reviews, fine. If not, I start with the game that is most accessible. It usually requires some research.

If you're not just using the Final Fantasy games as an example, and are actually considering playing the games for the first time, start wherever you want. As long as you avoid the clearly-marked linear sequels (such as Final Fantasy X-2, FF7 sequels prequels Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, FF4: the After Years, or the upcoming FFXIII-2), there's no overarching plot connecting the other games in the series. If you want my recommendation for which game to start with, I'd suggest 6, at least if you want to start with the best in the series. I also like the job systems in Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A-2, 3, and 5, so those are also good places to start.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I have played every final fantasy except 11 and 14 because they are mmo. I played them in order and I liked it that way. I am a huge rpg fan and final fantasy and dragon quest are the best series that have 9+ games in the series. Sure none are related, but its fun to play them in order to see how they change. I would suggest playing in order and playing them all. You get the full experience that way. Thats just my opinion though.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Honestly, if you're looking for opinions on what Final Fantasy game to start on, don't bother asking anywhere
You will not get a straight answer, search Wiki and/or look for gameplay videos, just don't ask on forums, you are free to start off on whatever Final Fantasy game you choose and form your own opinion on the games.
I also like the job systems in Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A-2, 3, and 5, so those are also good places to start.
Played FFXII IZJS? Do it if you haven't

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends how I found out about it; if a particular game had caught my interest I'd play that one first. If I'd just heard of the series in general I'd go for the earliest one on a current-gen console I owned. I think older games tend to show their age a bit so I wouldn't go digging around retro consoles for every title ever made. Plus if you spend time playing them all you'd never catch up to the current releases.

TeddyPain

OP
Trophies
Waving to black people in the hood in my car.
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if you're looking for opinions on what Final Fantasy game to start on, don't bother asking anywhere
You will not get a straight answer, search Wiki and/or look for gameplay videos, just don't ask on forums, you are free to start off on whatever Final Fantasy game you choose and form your own opinion on the games.
I also like the job systems in Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A-2, 3, and 5, so those are also good places to start.
Played FFXII IZJS? Do it if you haven't
I was merely using it as an example, I have no intention to play FF anytime soon. Perhaps I should state that more clearly. Anyways I didn't know FF stories weren't related because I haven't played any, so sorry for that.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
FF games aren't related to each other. Each game has its own separate story. The only exceptions are FF X and FF 13 which have sequels. Also don't bother with the original FF, the game mechanics have aged horribly.
he's right. they're all good rpgs, but FF I is 24year olds (same as me xD) that's ancient for a game! i like FF 4/5/6 a lot. 7/8/9 i love to bits. and FF 10 (or X) is great, X-2 is bleh, but still okay, 11 is a mmorpg, and 12 is great too, (though a lot of people didnt like that one, i love it loads though) and 13 i havent played cause i dont have a ps3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.