What do we take granted in gaming or tech that we did never before?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So my cousins came to my house recently, and she brought her two sons. the older one who is like 8 years old. loves games as any kids these days.

he knows i have bit of a gaming collection so he loves coming to my house, so the family was down stairs and so he was bit scared to stay up stairs.

so i told him to get one of the handheld and come down stairs with us. so he picked up one of my PSP, i thought this kid has a bright future ahead of him.

i saw him play some games for a while, until he came to the menu, which i noticed. him keep touching the screen. runs to me, and says "dude i did not brake the screen of this"

can you imagine a handheld without touch screen, the switches touch screen is not talked about alot, but can you imagine if Nintendo didn't put a touch screen on the switch?

heads would have rolled.

So what do we take granted in gaming or tech that we did never before?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Auto-save and the cloud.

Could yes.

but auto-save is bit tricky. I'm mean its great, but if Pokemon Switch has that feature and cant be turned off people will lose they shit.

you want to shiny hunt.... lol

Also games which dont have multiple saves which is a bitch.... I'm looking at you Pokemon.

Last edited by Flame,

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
We take for granted the fact that it's a luxury, yet some treat it like necessity.

before Spotify and Google Music and the like people had to pay something like £9.99 per album. now we have access to almost every song available for £9.99 per month.

how did people meet before smart phones, now its like "omg where is he?, let me phone him"

that's life really.

we take alot of things for granted.

Last edited by Flame,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
before Spotify and Google Music and the like people had to pay something like £9.99 per album. now we have access to almost every song available for £9.99 per month.

how did people meet before smart phones, now its like "omg where is he?, let me phone him"

that's life really.

we take alot of things for granted.

If it wasn't for Temp, we would've never secretly married each other ;-;

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Multiple saves and autosaves were taken care of by emulators in the 90s.

Sitting here now I am not sure.

The forgettable shiny shiny is shiner than ever but still forgettable.

A few people have done very well for making balanced and properly designed games but it is so very far from the norm that such a thing happens. Even percentage wise it is not that great.

Co-op is basically a thing of the past, local multiplayer not far behind.

Some bastards gate off what was once cheats and standard options as DLC/microtransactions (which would have been the same in the arcades so there is that) but just as many games would not have such things so as far as "taking for granted".

The ubiquity of the internet has meant I have sources more reliable than the playground should I get stuck. It also means playground rumours are far more limited and only things like GTA and Castlevania that go out of their way to do things get them.

"but can you imagine if Nintendo didn't put a touch screen on the switch?"
Some would consider it a curious choice, I would as well as it is not an expensive addition and they have plenty of things I would have sacrificed before then, but other than missing it for menus, maps and inventory (all wonderful things I wish to see from now until I can control things with my mind) I am not sure it would be so bad. In some ways I might miss the games that such things make easier but they are hardly as indispensable as dual analogue inputs and don't quite make it up to mouse level controls.

Dual analogues it is then, or the rough equivalent of mouse and keyboard. The lack of them hurt the DS, PSP and 3ds, all ostensibly 3d focused systems, quite badly in terms of the games they could have got and later systems would get, and also caused untold numbers of oddities for the Wii.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Having the game the very second that comes out.

I don't know about you guys, but my city never had a midnight release for any game ever. When I was waiting for a very hyped game to come out, I had to wait until Gamestop opened at 9AM. Now, thanks to fast internet, you can start downloading the game the very second it's made available in the online store. Or even better, you can preload the game to play it as soon as it's available.

I used to go often to Gamestop for this reason alone. I don't think I have entered one in 2017.

Another thing that we take granted now is saving on anything BUT a tiny, yet expensive memory card. Do you remember the shortage of the PS2 ones? How could you even sell a console without having a memory card?

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing that we take granted now is saving on anything BUT a tiny, yet expensive memory card. Do you remember the shortage of the PS2 ones? How could you even sell a console without having a memory card?

Ugh, first ps2 game I bought was Final Fantasy X but I could not find a memory card. Got to the Seymour fight on Mt Gagazet, the one right before Zanarkand. I'd been so careful and methodical the entire playthrough and then Seymour used his ultimate attack. Game Over. Right back to the title screen, no save.

I've lost saves bigger than that, of course, but never on a first run of a game. So yeah, I stand by saying auto save is something people are very used to as a norm and in 5 years I fully expect gamers to have an almost child like mentality to manually saving being a foreign concept.

Reactions: Deleted User

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
physical release. to be honest, there is almost zero reason for the publishers to release their games physically because they can get much profit from digital releases.

video game controller itself is something we take for granted, have you checked the design of video game controllers before NES was released? I couldn't imagine myself playing with non-standard controller.

the abundance of console games on PC. remember the days when PC games were niche and most of the consoles' games could only be played through emulators (the ones that were released on their time anyway) but now, goodbye console exclusives.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shortage, not so much. I do remember the magazine that gave one away as a cover bonus. As I sit here now it was a minor blip between the cartridge/floppy days ending and the xbox arriving. I do however remember calling my friend up to get him to bring a PS1 memory card to my dad's so I could save my progress on Ronin Blade and on another occasion replaying Crash Bandicoot a few times from the start, or leaving it on during dinner a la my C64.

"the very second it comes out"
Given I was mostly still birthdays, Christmas, trading and second hand that was less a concern, doubly so as I was in Europe.
Equally despite mostly being in a smaller town it pretty much played out. Midnight launches were never really a thing here either though so 9am was the launch day and applying today's logic to back then seems wrong. Not to mention rental shops (thank you PS1 era CD burner) managed day 1 releases and catalogues shipping things a few days in advance.

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shortage, not so much. I do remember the magazine that gave one away as a cover bonus. As I sit here now it was a minor blip between the cartridge/floppy days ending and the xbox arriving. I do however remember calling my friend up to get him to bring a PS1 memory card to my dad's so I could save my progress on Ronin Blade and on another occasion replaying Crash Bandicoot a few times from the start, or leaving it on during dinner a la my C64.

In the US, at least, there was absolutely a shortage. There were like 5 consoles to each single memory card. I checked over 50 stores the day I got my ps2 and every other day for 2 months before I found a single card... at a pawn shop... marked up to $85. I knew about 10 people that had a ps2 and only 1 had a card, and he had 2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A lot. Let's see...

-game availability. Consoles and peripherals can still be a bit harder to come by, but it used to be that game stores had to have certain games in actual stock in order to buy em (on other words: online availability)
-game discounts. It used to be normal that games-even PC ones- retained their value for years. The second hand market used to be something done in shady papers
-xbox360-like controls on pc games
-of you go back further: games requiring you to buy a new pc to run it at something other than slideshow speed
-EA being a terrible company. Believe it or not, but before they became an all absorbing dev devouring blob that sucked out creativity, they made some actual good games

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internal storage and I'm looking at the first few months of X360. 64MB memory card. People laughed at Wii U having 32GB, but forgot didn't want to applaud the decision of using a (non-proprietary) HDD for extra storage.

Demos on a demo disc. From a magazine (usually) or included in another game (Phantasy Star Online with Sonic Adventure 2).

Link cables.

Multi-taps to play 4-player games.

Ridiculous loading times.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Sometimes people goes to my MacBook Pro and starts touching the screen, and then gets mad that nothing is happening.
If i spend like the amount of a macbook pro cost i would be angry too, in fact for that amount i would be angry that it doesn't do my ironing, my washing of clothes and cooking too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If i spend like the amount of a macbook pro cost i would be angry too, in fact for that amount i would be angry that it doesn't do my ironing, my washing of clothes and cooking too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
:rofl2: Ya they are ridiculously expensive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
" -xbox360-like controls on pc games"
Actually yeah I do remember the wasteland after the technical death of the gameport and before the rise of the 360, I know I had playstation and original xbox adapters to play with (and this was when joy2key had not gone adware nonsense)... dark times for simpler games.

Multi-taps to play 4-player games.

Do you know somewhere I can still get good 4 player local games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol