What do the Left and Right agree on?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by JiveTheTurkey, Oct 21, 2018.

1. JiveTheTurkey
    OP

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    Updated title: What do the Left, Center, Right agree on?
    Nowadays things are getting more and more separated with politics but I can assure you there are more peace loving people than we see. I want to make light of the issue and ask, What do we agree on?
    Please don't harass people with opposite views. I want to discuss not fight. For myself, I want to say we agree on ALCOHOL! 21 should stay as the age to buy/consume! :grog: Lord knows what would happen without it.:toot: <3

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey, Oct 25, 2018
  2. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    Get rid of politics section on GBAtemp. This should be a gaming centric site.

3. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 As Seen On GBATempTV

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    TyBlood13 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Most of the world does just fine with a drinking age of 18 or 19, but ok

4. JiveTheTurkey
    OP

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    <Guilty

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When I was 18 I was so into wanting to dirnk but I couldn't. In my opinion I felt it was unfair to smoke tobacco and not be able to drink at 18 even though I was able to have a driver's license and enlist in the military and have granted guns. To be honest I would entertain the idea of a 18+ drinking age but I wouldn't be sure just based on my own opinion.

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    This post right here.

sup3rgh0st, DarthDub, Briyoda and 4 others like this.
  6. Seliph

Seliph Professional Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Here's my list:
    • Killing people is bad
    • Don't pee in pools
    • Shrek the Third was a bad movie
    • Mayonaisse is the worst condiment
    • Chicken lay eggs
    • etc...

Last edited by Seliph, Oct 21, 2018
    Briyoda, CallmeBerto and CuriousTommy like this.
  7. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    Heck i’ll have mods take down all my polital threads.

I think the only reason Costello made a politics section was because too many people kept making political topics. It was by force to separate it out from gaming sections.

Last edited by SG854, Oct 21, 2018
    CallmeBerto and JiveTheTurkey like this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    There are actually quite a few things the majority of both parties agree on. Two examples would be marijuana legalization and environmental protection. It's just that Republican constituents never hold their leaders accountable when they take a stance against widely popular issues like those.

It's still effective for that. Take away this section and people would just move political discussions back into gaming sections or blogs. Or even worse, try to sneak it into user submitted news (one glaring recent example of that). There's no good reason to remove this subforum, it's not like it's become the most active part of the site.

Last edited by Xzi, Oct 21, 2018
  9. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    I’m already tired of politics so i’m gunna stay away from it for a while. I’ll try to keep this site game centric. Except for the EOF stuff where it’s free for all.

Last edited by SG854, Oct 21, 2018
    Xzi likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    > Insert 'okay then, that was always allowed*' scene from Rick and Morty. :D

Last edited by Xzi, Oct 21, 2018
    Hanafuda and JiveTheTurkey like this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    My only real issue with this section is that some issues get overrun by a particular group of people who end up completely controlling the conversation. It's made a lot of threads into echo-chambers.

12. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    At least try to be game centric with my posts. With a little dash of other threads like what books you read, blah blah.

Heck I’ll make a game centric thread right nowzeez.

I’ve never really seen echo chambers at least here. There was always opposing views.

If someone had the better argument then those people wouldn’t have been able to dominate the debate.

13. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    It's some topics, not all of them. I digress though, maybe it's just me looking for a problem and finding one.

14. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    There’s that stubborn person here and there. But it is what it is.

If you look for problems you’ll always find one guaranteed.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    That's a huge reason why I tend to avoid this section. I know I can fall for confirmation bias and see the worst in people by doing so

16. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    When I turned 18, the drinking age had been 18 until only a few years before. They changed it in my state to 19 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor, but they included a grandfather clause for people who were already legal. Then a few months before I turned 19, they changed it again, to 21 for everything. And this time, no grandfather clause. The new law became effective July 1, and my birthday's in the first week of June. So I was legally able to buy beer for just over 3 weeks (and I did), then I had to wait another two years to be legal again. I don't care which party the politicians behind that prick move belonged (probably both). They suck.

Glyptofane likes this.
  17. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    You won’t fall for confirmation bias if you actively look for both sides.

Look at opinions on this site then look for different opinions on another place.

That’s how a scientists does research. You should always look for things that try to disprove your own theories. Because if your theory is solid then it should hold up no matter what you throw at it. If you don’t do this then what you’re doing is bad science.

For some people is scary to hold a long belief and it be crushed one day. It hits you hard. And sometimes you need a breather. You’re taken back as you process and re-think everything.

People sometimes don’t want to accept this so they block off lots of things and opinions in favor for a more comforting feeling. People don’t like their beliefs crushed.

18. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I am not disagreeing, but there are some topics where the other side isn't worth looking at. I am trying to keep this vague for various reasons, mostly not to derail the conversation. If you want, I can go into more detail via a PM.

Nightwish likes this.
  19. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    their paycheck

Costello and CaptainSodaPop like this.
  20. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

That's an awfully obstinate position. If you don't think the other side is even worth looking at because you just JUST KNOW you're right about it and they're wrong, then you probably aren't looking too hard at your own side of it, either.

(sending illustrative example by pm)

Last edited by Hanafuda, Oct 21, 2018
    TerribleTy27 likes this.