• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What do the Left and Right agree on?

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated title: What do the Left, Center, Right agree on?
Nowadays things are getting more and more separated with politics but I can assure you there are more peace loving people than we see. I want to make light of the issue and ask, What do we agree on?
Please don't harass people with opposite views. I want to discuss not fight. For myself, I want to say we agree on ALCOHOL! 21 should stay as the age to buy/consume! :grog: Lord knows what would happen without it.:toot: <3

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey,

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get rid of politics section on GBAtemp. This should be a gaming centric site.
<Guilty

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most of the world does just fine with a drinking age of 18 or 19, but ok
When I was 18 I was so into wanting to dirnk but I couldn't. In my opinion I felt it was unfair to smoke tobacco and not be able to drink at 18 even though I was able to have a driver's license and enlist in the military and have granted guns. To be honest I would entertain the idea of a 18+ drinking age but I wouldn't be sure just based on my own opinion.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
This post right here.
Heck i’ll have mods take down all my polital threads.

I think the only reason Costello made a politics section was because too many people kept making political topics. It was by force to separate it out from gaming sections.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are actually quite a few things the majority of both parties agree on. Two examples would be marijuana legalization and environmental protection. It's just that Republican constituents never hold their leaders accountable when they take a stance against widely popular issues like those.

Heck i’ll have mods take down all my polital threads.

I think the only reason Costello made a politics section was because too many people kept making political topics. It was by force to separate it out from gaming sections.
It's still effective for that. Take away this section and people would just move political discussions back into gaming sections or blogs. Or even worse, try to sneak it into user submitted news (one glaring recent example of that). There's no good reason to remove this subforum, it's not like it's become the most active part of the site.

Last edited by Xzi,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There are actually quite a few things the majority of both parties agree on. Two examples would be marijuana legalization and environmental protection. It's just that Republican constituents never hold their leaders accountable when they take a stance against widely popular issues like those.

It's still effective for that. Take away this section and people would just move political discussions back into gaming sections or blogs. Or even worse, try to sneak it into user submitted news (one glaring recent example of that). There's no good reason to remove this subforum, it's not like it's become the most active part of the site.
I’m already tired of politics so i’m gunna stay away from it for a while. I’ll try to keep this site game centric. Except for the EOF stuff where it’s free for all.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I’m already tired of politics so i’m gunna stay away from it for a while. I’ll try to keep this site game centric. Except for the EOF stuff where it’s free for all.
> Insert 'okay then, that was always allowed*' scene from Rick and Morty. :D

Last edited by Xzi,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My only real issue with this section is that some issues get overrun by a particular group of people who end up completely controlling the conversation. It's made a lot of threads into echo-chambers.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
> Insert 'okay then, that was always allowed*' scene from Rick and Morty. :D
At least try to be game centric with my posts. With a little dash of other threads like what books you read, blah blah.

Heck I’ll make a game centric thread right nowzeez.

My only real issue with this section is that some issues get overrun by a particular group of people who end up completely controlling the conversation. It's made a lot of threads into echo-chambers.
I’ve never really seen echo chambers at least here. There was always opposing views.

If someone had the better argument then those people wouldn’t have been able to dominate the debate.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At least try to be game centric with my posts. With a little dash of other threads like what books you read, blah blah.

Heck I’ll make a game centric thread right nowzeez.

I’ve never really seen echo chambers at least here. There was always opposing views.

If someone had the better argument then those people wouldn’t have been able to dominate the debate.
It's some topics, not all of them. I digress though, maybe it's just me looking for a problem and finding one.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There’s that stubborn person here and there. But it is what it is.

If you look for problems you’ll always find one guaranteed.
That's a huge reason why I tend to avoid this section. I know I can fall for confirmation bias and see the worst in people by doing so

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was 18 I was so into wanting to dirnk but I couldn't.

When I turned 18, the drinking age had been 18 until only a few years before. They changed it in my state to 19 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor, but they included a grandfather clause for people who were already legal. Then a few months before I turned 19, they changed it again, to 21 for everything. And this time, no grandfather clause. The new law became effective July 1, and my birthday's in the first week of June. So I was legally able to buy beer for just over 3 weeks (and I did), then I had to wait another two years to be legal again. I don't care which party the politicians behind that prick move belonged (probably both). They suck.

Reactions: Glyptofane

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That's a huge reason why I tend to avoid this section. I know I can fall for confirmation bias and see the worst in people by doing so
You won’t fall for confirmation bias if you actively look for both sides.

Look at opinions on this site then look for different opinions on another place.

That’s how a scientists does research. You should always look for things that try to disprove your own theories. Because if your theory is solid then it should hold up no matter what you throw at it. If you don’t do this then what you’re doing is bad science.

For some people is scary to hold a long belief and it be crushed one day. It hits you hard. And sometimes you need a breather. You’re taken back as you process and re-think everything.

People sometimes don’t want to accept this so they block off lots of things and opinions in favor for a more comforting feeling. People don’t like their beliefs crushed.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You won’t fall for confirmation bias if you actively look for both sides.

Look at opinions on this site then look for different opinions on another place.

That’s how a scientists does research. You should always look for things that try to disprove your own theories. Because if your theory is solid then it should hold up no matter what you throw at it. If you don’t do this then what you’re doing is bad science.

For some people is scary to hold a long belief and it be crushed one day. It hits you hard. And sometimes you need a breather. You’re taken back as you process and re-think everything.

People sometimes don’t want to accept this so they block off lots of things and opinions in favor for a more comforting feeling. People don’t like their beliefs crushed.
I am not disagreeing, but there are some topics where the other side isn't worth looking at. I am trying to keep this vague for various reasons, mostly not to derail the conversation. If you want, I can go into more detail via a PM.

Reactions: Nightwish

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are some topics where the other side isn't worth looking at.

That's an awfully obstinate position. If you don't think the other side is even worth looking at because you just JUST KNOW you're right about it and they're wrong, then you probably aren't looking too hard at your own side of it, either.

(sending illustrative example by pm)

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over