Hacking What do people prefer: custom firmwares or flashcarts?

Do you prefer custom firmware or flashcarts?

• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh is it possible to get faster transfer speeds on a SD than a flashcart?

I do not think in this case it really matters -- games are designed and built to run from the internal SD card and from what we have seen the code difference between cart games and downloadable games are minimal. Back on the DS they might have required faster (the main example would probably be Castlevania portrait of ruin and seemed more to be latency, though that first Tony Hawk game would probably be worth looking at) and back on the GBA they definitely did.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Even in presence of CFW, I still like the option of flash cartridges. The third party device allows for an additional slot for storage. For devices that lack internal storage (NDS/DSLite), it's obligatory. While you could do without for the 3DS given the internal SD, you can cut costs of SD storage by buying two smaller capacity cards rather than one large capacity at a potentially better price.

Furthermore, you increase the overall ceiling FOR capacity. if 128 GB is truly the limit, a flash cart and internal storage in this limit can be up to as high as 256GB

And to respect to flash carts vs CFW. Both use bypasses and manipulation, but it seems nicer to be able to use psuedo hardware to get something done rather than use software to emulate pseudo hardware to get something done. Less roundabout.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
CFW. If the 'physical media receiver' of your device fails, at least you can still game on with CFW.

Forgot about this. Though truth be told, I've never had a Nintendo device have it's optical/cartridge reader ever die out on me. Though my Sony PSP had a pretty awful UMD drive. The drive itself is physically gone yet the CFW has given it a second life.

Reactions: Phantom_User

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh is it possible to get faster transfer speeds on a SD than a flashcart?
I seem to remember someone testing the 3DS cartridges vs SDHC cards. If I remember correctly, the difference between higher end SD cards and 3DS cartridges were negligible. At that point, I think the bottleneck was the 3DS hardware itself for reading the cards and carts.
Forgot about this. Though truth be told, I've never had a Nintendo device have it's optical/cartridge reader ever die out on me. Though my Sony PSP had a pretty awful UMD drive. The drive itself is physically gone yet the CFW has given it a second life.
The early Wiis had a lot of problems with their optical drives and I've seen my fair share of DS Phats coming in with broken joint and other various problems. Other than that, though, Nintendo has a long legacy of superb build quality.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever gets the job done. CFW gets points for being free, flashcarts get points for (usually) not risking bricking your system if it goes wrong (someone can commence bitching about gateway here, I'm sure)

I've seen my fair share of DS Phats coming in with broken joint and other various problems. Other than that, though, Nintendo has a long legacy of superb build quality.

I thought it was DS lites that had the hinge issues. My 10 year old original DS has perfect hinges, anyway.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Depends on options. CFW, if done right is infinitely better. It unlocked your system. So, you can do region free on retail carts without spending money for it. Plus they get updates almost regularly.. As do flashcards. It depends on the developer. Dark Alex was the best PSP dev.

Reactions: Margen67

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was DS lites that had the hinge issues. My 10 year old original DS has perfect hinges, anyway.
I've seen some DS Lites come in, which they were all for hinges (or the ribbons in the hinges), but I've seen a lot more Phats come in and not just for hinges, hence the various issues.

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Haha my PSP is still running on whatever CFW my Pandora battery gave me. I don't even know if people still use those things. I like the CFW on my PSP but having experienced the service of CycloDS on my old DS I really do like flashcarts.

I still use the pandora battery
So reliable (unless u a 3000/4000)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What if succubus were real? :ninja: