What do people prefer: custom firmwares or flashcarts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pluupy, Dec 31, 2014.

?
  1. Custom Firmware

70.9%
  2. Flashcarts

26.1%
  3. Other

3.0%
  1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I prefer a flash cart. I like the convenience of playing all of my games from one cartridge, instead of lugging around all the different cartridges like a tool.

2. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    1. The later custom firmwares of the PSP were much easier and more straightforward to install than what you have to do for Gateway. And you only had to do it once.
    2. A custom firmware can be uninstallable.
    3. You're probably not familiar with the name Dark_AleX :bow:
    4. Read number 3.

You do realize that with custom firmware you could possibly run ROMs from your SD card, right?
    I mean the one that goes on the left side of the 3DS (right side on the XL), not a microSD.

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, but I really don't care either way. I guess I'm just used to flash carts. I'm no stranger to the PSP scene, I've done my fair share of ISO ripping, mounting, extraction, compression, PSX to PBP, etc.... And while CFW is nice, I don't think we'll ever see rolling releases on the 3DS like the PSP had.

4. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Honestly, I think it's good for now that a flash cart is needed for now, or any game for that matter. Once PSP was hacked it was super easy to pirate anything, and an exploit like that would ruin the 3DS. For now Gateway still remains an investment which needs to be made, and an investment which very few (relatively speaking here) are willing to make. Not that Gateway is justified in forcing users to have their flash cartridge, because IMO they really aren't unless their card brings something new to the table like at-runtime cheats or something, but for now I feel it's better this way.

RenegadeKid and thorasgar like this.
  5. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    I would like a free, open-source CFW but i know it will only come later in 3ds's lifetime.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Kippykip

Kippykip j e f f

Mar 30, 2013
    Australia
    I think CFW is a lot better than flashcarts
    However the only system I know of which has CFW is the PSP
    Correct me if i'm wrong

7. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012

PS3 has cfw too. Also wii, ps2 and xbox have modified system files via soft-mods which can also be considered as cfw.

Margen67 and Kippykip like this.
  8. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    I've been flashing ROMs on my android phones for years, coming from the early days when it took an hour of ADB and terminal commands, so I am a CFW guy all the way.

9. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    I guess it's due to the UMD and its difficulty to make a flashcart with.

Kippykip likes this.
  10. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    IIRC there were still modchips, at least there were for the Wii, almost instantly after the Wii's release too since the disk drive was so similar to the Gamecube. Gateway by itself is basically the equivalent of a WODE for the Wii, although since carts can be blocked easily they had to step up their game to retain sales. Which isn't a bad thing, because Gateway has definitely contributed to the scene as a result (indirectly in some cases, but most likely definitely directly with the 9.2 and below kernel exploit which they have).

11. Pluupy
    OP

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Haha my PSP is still running on whatever CFW my Pandora battery gave me. I don't even know if people still use those things. I like the CFW on my PSP but having experienced the service of CycloDS on my old DS I really do like flashcarts.

Kippykip likes this.
  12. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    CFW only if open sourced, otherwise flash cart.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. flarn2006

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    CFW, because it's free, but unfortunately sometimes it's not available.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. ewin00

ewin00 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    Indonesia
    because im a cheap person so i will choose CFW. so yeah 3ds flashcart seems so expensive these day so yeah if CFW never come so i will wait until flashcart getting cheap like ds flashcart now (i have R4i 3ds and the cart is not supported anymore because of the cart revision and you know i dont like that)

Margen67 likes this.
  15. Haterbait

Haterbait Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2009
    United States
    As long as the cfw is associated with some sort of branding that I can stand behind and also occasionally releases updates, which are useful, then I prefer the one that me and the rest of the majority prefers. FTW, btw.

Margen67 likes this.
  16. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Unfortunately, with the advent of smartphones and other open and more powerful devices becoming more accessible, a lot coders from the PSP scene (that didn't mysteriously disappear like DAX and AhMan) moved onto the aforementioned devices. There's still plenty of people interested in homebrew on 3DS and PS Vita, but it just seems like they just want it for running backups, so a lot of them are happy with flashcarts. There are still great coders chipping away at the 3DS, but I don't think it will blow up like the PSP did.

That said, I'm sure the 3DS will become a lot more interesting for homebrew towards the end of its commercial lifespan.

Margen67 likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am with the whatever works best crowd.

However full hardware mods are how I would roll -- dual nand in hardware, persistence, rapid fire (though this may actually be a software option for the 3ds), overclocking, better debug options, video/picture capture...

Of course the 3ds would first actually get a library worth mentioning (4 years in and it is a joke compared to what came before), equally its homebrew potential is not much if I consider the portable computing device world at large.

18. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    the reason 66% of ppl prefer CFW is because all gateway does is make you wait

19. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    wondering what exactly the people wanting cfw are doing right now :tpi:

20. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    CFW would probably make you wait as well. There's still people working on it, and stuff takes time. Gateway at least has a slight justification in that they have to make a CFW to keep their cart working, although it's locked so that you need a Gateway. The good thing though is that Gateway is extremely good at future proofing their device as seen with the emuNAND that they brought in along with their multi rom menu.

Margen67 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted