Hacking What do people prefer: custom firmwares or flashcarts?

Do you prefer custom firmware or flashcarts?

• Total voters

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I prefer a flash cart. I like the convenience of playing all of my games from one cartridge, instead of lugging around all the different cartridges like a tool.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Flashcarts for me, here are the main reasons :

-First, I'm a noob, and it's easy to brick your console with a custom firmware.

-Second, when you buy a flashcart, you still have a support service.

-Third, when people pay for a service, the work you pay for is most of time well done. I mean nowadays nothing is really free.

-Fourth, a custom firmware needs more time to be developed and released, so it could take several months or even several years. The people, who usually work in the underground and do this as a hobby, have a work or maybe are students so they don't have as much time as hackers, flashcarts developers or manufacturers who do that for passion and money. A flashcart makes the hack easier and quicker.

:)

1. The later custom firmwares of the PSP were much easier and more straightforward to install than what you have to do for Gateway. And you only had to do it once.
2. A custom firmware can be uninstallable.
3. You're probably not familiar with the name Dark_AleX :bow:
4. Read number 3.

I prefer a flash cart. I like the convenience of playing all of my games from one cartridge, instead of lugging around all the different cartridges like a tool.
You do realize that with custom firmware you could possibly run ROMs from your SD card, right?
I mean the one that goes on the left side of the 3DS (right side on the XL), not a microSD.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
1. The later custom firmwares of the PSP were much easier and more straightforward to install than what you have to do for Gateway. And you only had to do it once.
2. A custom firmware can be uninstallable.
3. You're probably not familiar with the name Dark_AleX :bow:
4. Read number 3.

You do realize that with custom firmware you could possibly run ROMs from your SD card, right?
I mean the one that goes on the left side of the 3DS (right side on the XL), not a microSD.

Yeah, but I really don't care either way. I guess I'm just used to flash carts. I'm no stranger to the PSP scene, I've done my fair share of ISO ripping, mounting, extraction, compression, PSX to PBP, etc.... And while CFW is nice, I don't think we'll ever see rolling releases on the 3DS like the PSP had.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think it's good for now that a flash cart is needed for now, or any game for that matter. Once PSP was hacked it was super easy to pirate anything, and an exploit like that would ruin the 3DS. For now Gateway still remains an investment which needs to be made, and an investment which very few (relatively speaking here) are willing to make. Not that Gateway is justified in forcing users to have their flash cartridge, because IMO they really aren't unless their card brings something new to the table like at-runtime cheats or something, but for now I feel it's better this way.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been flashing ROMs on my android phones for years, coming from the early days when it took an hour of ADB and terminal commands, so I am a CFW guy all the way.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's due to the UMD and its difficulty to make a flashcart with.

IIRC there were still modchips, at least there were for the Wii, almost instantly after the Wii's release too since the disk drive was so similar to the Gamecube. Gateway by itself is basically the equivalent of a WODE for the Wii, although since carts can be blocked easily they had to step up their game to retain sales. Which isn't a bad thing, because Gateway has definitely contributed to the scene as a result (indirectly in some cases, but most likely definitely directly with the 9.2 and below kernel exploit which they have).

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha my PSP is still running on whatever CFW my Pandora battery gave me. I don't even know if people still use those things. I like the CFW on my PSP but having experienced the service of CycloDS on my old DS I really do like flashcarts.

Reactions: Kippykip

ewin00

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
because im a cheap person so i will choose CFW. so yeah 3ds flashcart seems so expensive these day so yeah if CFW never come so i will wait until flashcart getting cheap like ds flashcart now (i have R4i 3ds and the cart is not supported anymore because of the cart revision and you know i dont like that)

Reactions: Margen67

Haterbait

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
haterbait.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as the cfw is associated with some sort of branding that I can stand behind and also occasionally releases updates, which are useful, then I prefer the one that me and the rest of the majority prefers. FTW, btw.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who wouldn't prefer a proper custom firmware? But it's not always possible.
The PSP homebrew community thrived because of custom firmwares. I'm always hoping something like that will happen again for some portable that has a lot of horsepower.
I was hoping that the PSP's homebrew tradition would carry on to the Vita. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. The Vita is some really wasted potential for homebrew, with its power, its incredible OLED screen, its dual analog sticks, we could have had some of the best portable emulators on there. Who knows. Maybe someday when Sony has totally abandoned the Vita (which is pretty abandoned already), a kernel exploit might be found.
Unfortunately, with the advent of smartphones and other open and more powerful devices becoming more accessible, a lot coders from the PSP scene (that didn't mysteriously disappear like DAX and AhMan) moved onto the aforementioned devices. There's still plenty of people interested in homebrew on 3DS and PS Vita, but it just seems like they just want it for running backups, so a lot of them are happy with flashcarts. There are still great coders chipping away at the 3DS, but I don't think it will blow up like the PSP did.

That said, I'm sure the 3DS will become a lot more interesting for homebrew towards the end of its commercial lifespan.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am with the whatever works best crowd.

However full hardware mods are how I would roll -- dual nand in hardware, persistence, rapid fire (though this may actually be a software option for the 3ds), overclocking, better debug options, video/picture capture...

Of course the 3ds would first actually get a library worth mentioning (4 years in and it is a joke compared to what came before), equally its homebrew potential is not much if I consider the portable computing device world at large.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason 66% of ppl prefer CFW is because all gateway does is make you wait

CFW would probably make you wait as well. There's still people working on it, and stuff takes time. Gateway at least has a slight justification in that they have to make a CFW to keep their cart working, although it's locked so that you need a Gateway. The good thing though is that Gateway is extremely good at future proofing their device as seen with the emuNAND that they brought in along with their multi rom menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?