What Do I Need To Play My Old Game Consoles On A Computer Monitor?

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really toyed around with this kind of technical stuff, so I need to know (Mostly for curiosity), if I wanted to play an old game console (A PS2 for example), on a computer monitor (through VGA input), what cords, etc. do I need to do this? If you could give me links to "said cords" through Amazon, that would be awesome.

I ask this because I've looked at reviews for cords that convert RCA to VGA, TV-Video to VGA, etc. and every review mentions something about the cord not being the right one, or it has a bad quality, or you need some kind of TV converter box, yadda, yadda...

I'd appreciate the help!

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I was trying to get my Wii onto my monitor, most converters I found had some sort of review mentioning color issues, lines on the screen, etc. I eventually broke down and bought a relatively cheap monitor that had input for RCA and composite cables (a TV-monitor of sorts). This was a while ago though. After a quick search, I can't find any of the boxes I had been looking at.

I don't have any experience with the following items, but here's one that catches the eye. It takes RCA / Composite video, S-Video, and VGA as inputs, and outputs as VGA. There is also an item under "Customers who bought this item also bought" for audio if necessary. Both of these converters would, ideally, set you and your PS2 up perfectly.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wouldn't it be easier to just emulate these consoles?

Remember that a console also needs a way to emit audio. And your average PC monitor cannot do that.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
+ 1 to emulation.
Whatever your box of choice will be, you are bound to be disappointed by the image quality.
Heck, even my Dreamcast with an official VGA box doesn't look that good anymore on modern monitors.
Emulators however ( even with the occasional glitch ) do have the ability to upscale and render at higher definition, thus, making the image much better.

Or could you do like I din: Shop around for a cheap ( and I mean dirty cheap by today's standard ) old fashioned CRT TV ( possibly one that does 50/60Hz ) with component inputs, and use it as your dedicated vintage games monitor.
Some Sony Trinitron for example do a great job and can be picked up at around 40EUR.

Then you'll get the best of both words: nothing beats the original hardware, and you'll get a picture that is just as goo as it can be and true to the original way the game was intended to be displayed.

Go for a cheap CRT TV I say !!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
+2 to emulation, IF you have the hardware to pull it off.
You should have a minimum of dual-core CPU both running at 2.0GHz at least, to emulate PS2.
The PS2 emulator works very very very well, needs a bit of finetuning by the end-user sometimes (you), but with the help of their forums that shouldn't be too hard. I recommend a 360 controller too, esp for gaming where you really need to use the analog stick a lot (God of War).

PCSX2.net

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You should have a minimum of dual-core CPU both running at 2.0GHz at least, to emulate PS2.
The PS2 emulator works very very very well, needs a bit of finetuning by the end-user sometimes (you), but with the help of their forums that shouldn't be too hard. I recommend a 360 controller too, esp for gaming where you really need to use the analog stick a lot (God of War).

PCSX2.net

Quick question ( I'm too lazy to search the forums ) , does PCSX2 support PSX games, and if yes, how is it compared to a dedicated PSX emulator ( like ePSX) ?
Do PSX games run better on it ( I remember PSX games were slightly upscaled and looking marginally better on the PS2 ), or with all the graphical improvement in PSX emulators is still the same ?
Cheers

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Quick question ( I'm too lazy to search the forums ) , does PCSX2 support PSX games, and if yes, how is it compared to a dedicated PSX emulator ( like ePSX) ?
Do PSX games run better on it ( I remember PSX games were slightly upscaled and looking marginally better on the PS2 ), or with all the graphical improvement in PSX emulators is still the same ?
Cheers
Do ps1 games work with this emulator?

No, this emulator only works with Playstation 2 games. In order to play Ps1 games, you will need a ps1 emulator.

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PCSX2.net

Ahaha, trust me on this. NONE of the computers in my house can run and emulate above N64/PS1 Emulators. I have tried, and they really don't work that great on my computers....

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've never gotten n64 or ps2 emulation to be smooth for me, ever... and I'm on an i7 computer :P I just can't be bothered to play around with the settings and all.

noob killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
N64 emulation should work just fine, I was doing it on an Athlon 64...
QFT, N64 doesn't need any configuring I think, just works.
PCSX2 does however, it's all a matter of reading and following guides, in 1 hour you can get it up and running very easily, I enjoy it so much, to see how far I can push my hardware.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I know it *should* work, but every game I've tried always crash, or look like shit. Maybe I've just been unlucky picking roms that have known issues, maybe using the wrong emulator... and maybe I am too lazy to get all the settings and plugins right :P (most likely the latter).

Edit:

Oh? Hmm, maybe I've just been unlucky then.

and when it comes to ps2 emulation, I know it's just to follow some guides... My trouble is finding said guides, or finding guides that everyone praises which points to settings and plugins that doesn't exist (for me)... :/

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What computer models?

My Laptop, Dell Studio 1555
Specs:
RAM: 6GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Yes, I know it's awful.)
My laptop is probably the strongest one. I know it has a chance at emulating a PS2 and what not, but I can never figure out how to configure it correctly. Also, this laptop is probably the best out of the rest I'm about to tell you.

Younger Bro's Desktop, Dell Dimension C521
Specs:
Don't really know. I only know that it has an integrated nVidia Graphics Card, and a Single Core Processor... Yet, he finds joy in playing games like Left 4 Dead...

Older Bro's Laptop, Dell Studio 1555
Specs:
Exactly like my laptop, but because of the horrendous amount of shit that is left on there that my older brother can't seem to get rid of 'cause he's lazy, it runs very slow...

My Parent's Desktop, Don't know what model it was... (Aside from it being another Dell...)
Specs:
Once again, I really don't know the exact specs, but let's just say it took about 30 seconds to load a web page in Internet Explorer...

Also, I found this Converter Box, but I'm a little skeptical at getting it because of what the reviews for it say. But, I thought I should at least point it out...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you're using the latest version of PCSX2, and here's the official config guide showing which settings affect performance and how.
http://pcsx2.net/config-guide/

Here's a recent, shorter version from their forums.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Quick-Start-PCSX2-Configuration-Guide-v1-0-0

And as for N64, people should just be able to install PJ64 and it's update.
http://www.jabosoft.com/articles/114
(1.6, and the 1.6.1 update Jabo released when PJ64 1.7 died.)

And most N64 games should work without any config needed.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Make sure you're using the latest version of PCSX2, and here's the official config guide showing which settings affect performance and how.
http://pcsx2.net/config-guide/

Here's a recent, shorter version from their forums.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Quick-Start-PCSX2-Configuration-Guide-v1-0-0

And as for N64, people should just be able to install PJ64 and it's update.
http://www.jabosoft.com/articles/114
(1.6, and the 1.6.1 update Jabo released when PJ64 1.7 died.)

And most N64 games should work without any config needed.

Hi, I've been out of the N64 loop for quite some time, but I remember I did donate and downloaded PJ64 1.7.
I was aware that the project was kind of abandoned for quite some time, but now that you mention version 1.6.1 you got me curious again.
Do you know as of now, if I'm better off reinstalling PJ64 1.7 ( I should have my old license somewhere on my external HDD ) or this updated 1.6.1 has any kind of advantage over 1.7 ?
Cheers

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've been out of the N64 loop for quite some time, but I remember I did donate and downloaded PJ64 1.7.
I was aware that the project was kind of abandoned for quite some time, but now that you mention version 1.6.1 you got me curious again.
Do you know as of now, if I'm better off reinstalling PJ64 1.7 ( I should have my old license somewhere on my external HDD ) or this updated 1.6.1 has any kind of advantage over 1.7 ?
Cheers
I don't have 1.7 so I don't know, but the 1.6.1 release is by Jabo and does give a lot of the 1.7 game fixes to the more stable 1.6 base. A lot of people seemed to jump on the chance so I'm assuming it's the better version.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Simplest non emulator solution would be to get a capture card with low latency. Easycap and honestech are good USB solutions for this. Blackmagic Intensity and Avtertv dvr are good choices for pci. All you do is plug in plug in your AV cables and view the image/sound on the software it comes with

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2: