What do I need to avoid?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nirst, May 14, 2008.

May 14, 2008

What do I need to avoid? by nirst at 4:13 PM (1,377 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. nirst
    OP

Newcomer nirst Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, apologies if this is a little bit of a paranoid noob topic but I've spent a while reading this forum and can't say I'm certain what I should and shouldn't do to keep my Wii from running.

I've basically installed some WADs using the Twilight Hack - some VC and some WiiWare (originally non PAL on a PAL Wii) and want to know a few things:

Can I go into the Shop Channel now? Will this cause me problems?
    If I can go into the Shop Channel, is there anything I should avoid doing in there?
    Can I look at the 'online' WiiWare operations guides?
    I've installed Pop - should I prevent it connecting to download scoreboards?
    FFCC-MLAAK has downloadable content - Can I connect to this?

If anybody can give guidance on these that would be great - The missus would kill me if I bricked out Wii and she couldn't play Wii Fit anymore!

2. EpicUnderpants

Newcomer EpicUnderpants Newbie

United States
    Well, you could just delete all internet connections on your wii, preventing it from updating and going online at all. That's something you can do to be safe.

3. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    only thing you need to prevent bricking your wii is your brain [​IMG]

4. nirst
    OP

Newcomer nirst Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your "help" guys - but I'm not a paranoid freak looking for over the top precautions to stop the big N discovering my deeds.
    I just get the feeling that there is experience and knowledge out there somewhere on this forum and I was hoping somebody who knows exactly what bricks or semi bricks a Wii might pass on some advice to me.

5. porchemasi

Canada
    1. if you dont know what you are doing, STOP
    2. if there is a risk of bricking, assess what you know what degree of confidence you have in performing this
    3. let others test b4 you
    4. ASK FOR HELP when needed dont attempt stuff when there is a *risk*

6. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The answer is... no one knows yet in regards to installing VC games. This is still relatively new.

Good news - no ones reported yet getting bricked/blocked/nicked by Nintendo.

Bad news - "yet"... who knows what Nintendo will do in 6 months?

No one knows for sure but most likely Nintendo would not brick a Wii they suspect having VC content. Maybe someday they will block you from any online features or erase 'unauthortized content' on the Wii.

As EpicUnderpants suggested - disco the internet then you'll be worry free.

7. porchemasi

Canada
    You can semi-brick/brick your Wii by ...

1. installing a PAL update on your NTSC wii
    2. install too many VC games than your system can hold (keep asking to delete/free up memory, but when u delete save data/vc games it still does not give blocks back, and since u cant access a dvd/ to boot up tp hack to remove the vc games us crewed!) must do a full format [​IMG]

8. nirst
    OP

Newcomer nirst Member

United Kingdom
    So maybe I'm confused, but from reading around it seems some people have managed to brick or semi-brick their Wiis - how have they done that?

9. nirst
    OP

Newcomer nirst Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry porchemasi - you posted while I was posting.

That's handy info - so the only risk is an unknown one that Ninty will at some point in the future do something to stop all these shenanigans? I'm OK with that risk. [​IMG]

10. dweirdo

Member dweirdo GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    what %?#&#?% if i uninstall vc games with wad un installer it wont free up the blocks?%# nonsense!