Homebrew [?] What do I lose when updating to 10.3? (from 10.1)

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I know, I know. Overused, dumb, newb question; but I've been wondering for a while now. I'm kinda considering updating for Miiverse access (within games and the app itself), eShop access, the Badge Arcade, online gaming on some games (like Smash), etc.
I already have Ironhax installed and it works on 10.3 thanks to the new payloads (I also have Themehax; but it's broken on 10.3); so I don't know if I have got something to lose.
Is there something that I should know that says I should wait, or is it OK to update?

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's highly unlikely you'll be missing anything between 10.1 and 10.3, but a lot of people seem to think there is a reason to stay there. Rumors don't appear out of nowhere usually, but in this case it's probably OK to update. Either way though it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it to have a fully functioning system now rather than possibly have access to a kernel exploit down the road.

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After looking around, I guess I can wait for now. Knowing that I have finals and stuff like that, it's not like I'm urging to update.
Just one more thing, is this "mint" workaround (if it comes) possible in games and apps other than the eShop? I can't access online on some games (like Smash), and I believe that the update did something to that. Also, I can't use Miiverse (in-game nor the app), so I hope that workaround (again, if it comes) gets through that as well...I like drawing on it quite a bit. :P

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well if you update you would regret in the future you´re warned its better stay on 10.1 because you can use everything other than eshop for now

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I know, I know. Overused, dumb, newb question; but I've been wondering for a while now. I'm kinda considering updating for Miiverse access (within games and the app itself), eShop access, the Badge Arcade, online gaming on some games (like Smash), etc.
I already have Ironhax installed and it works on 10.3 thanks to the new payloads (I also have Themehax; but it's broken on 10.3); so I don't know if I have got something to lose.
Is there something that I should know that says I should wait, or is it OK to update?
Menuhax... Aaand that's about it.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say hold off. In the worst case scenario, smealum will have no clue how to fix it and we'll have to update (for those who want eShop access), but chances are most of his exploits will still work on later firmwares provided smelaum updates the payload (which is pretty high since he released the payload for 10.3 rather quickly).

Plus, the lower your firmware, the most potential exploits you have. As Bubsy pointed out, you do lose Menuhax, but that's become insanely convenient thanks to new options allowing you to boot directly into the Homebrew Launcher, custom theme support (both with masher's Homebrew Grid Layout and with the original Home Menu), and works as a nice replacement as the original Home Menu. I seriously wouldn't update knowing I'd lose that at this point!

There's also always the incredibly tiny but hopeful chance that a kernel exploit will pop up for lower firmwares and might get us through this issue....Hey, a man can dream! Don't squish the flame!

(I seriously wouldn't expect kernel exploits on 9.3 to 10.2 anytime soon, but eh who knows. What I wrote above is really just wishful thinking.)

I'd seriously love one though just so we'd have an easier way of bypassing the current situation we're in and for other pretty good reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi