What did you think of the mass chaos today?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, this site had took a long downfall today with thousands of people browsing the GTA: Chinatown Wars release thread begging for the ROM and asking how to get it to work. Man, this site needs to enforce stricter rules. Think about when Pokemon Platinum is going to be released, the same thing will happen again! We need to act fast.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking back at it, it was kind of a fun experience to have gone through. Knowing that hundreds of other tempers were going through the same thing I was. Frantically trying to find a way to get the game to work. I literally was checking the computer every 15 minutes the entire day. I couldn't help it. The CycloDS forums also went down. Lets just say this day was intense but I'm glad everybody calmed down now that everything seems to work.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The moment I read GTA:CTW had been dumped, but was only working on a few carts, I knew it was gonna hit the fan.
I totally expected R* to make life difficult for the flashcart crowd - they always go that little bit further to protect their IP, after all.

So I was quite prepared to wait until at least the 17th for a firmware update for one of my flashcarts, and will probably end up buying the game anyway. Basically, I wasn't too bothered by the delay.

So I just brewed up some coffee, made a big ol' pile of popcorn and settled in for the ride. And sure enough, it didn't disappoint.

I totally expected the Cyclo forum to implode sooner or later and yep, sure enough, it did. Even if they had managed to release a firmware update, there was no way anyone would've been able to download it.

Speaking of implosions, I really don't know why the release thread wasn't just locked sometime around page 10. It was obvious things weren't gonna get any better in there.
QUOTE('thousands of newbs') said:
I CNAT READ BIG RED TEXT! HOW WORK ON R4?
rofl2.gif

Anyways, here we are a day later, and there's fixes and patches and codes out the whazoo. Now the forum's almost dead because the kiddies got what they wanted, so they've all buggered off to run over pedestrians, etc.
rolleyes.gif

Feel sorry for the staff though - that shitstorm must've really sucked hard.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It was inevitable really once it was confirmed that gta:ctw had copy prevention.

as for a solution, other than moving to a host that can handle massive peaks in server load, the is nothing that can be done. I have read some interesting things on mesh hosting, but to be honest I think the servers stood up quite well considering.

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy mother of christ! This whole chaos caused elixirdream to leave and he wont provide new cheat codes for us! WHAT HAVE WE DONE!

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The GTA:CW shitstorm was incredible. I swear there was hundreds of new users asking for roms or a fix for x flashcart and so on. And the amount of GTA:CW threads today. Jeez.

The servers did do pretty good though, although I was like wtf when it asked me to login to view gbatemp

Oh and about elixirdream, I heard he was just stopping 'making codes for ungrateful brats'. So not leaving, just not making more cheats.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a way to combat this? I understand we were all "noobs" at one point, but there's gotta be a better way than a flood of (mostly) new people spamming the boards when a game of this magnitude comes out. Especially if it causes well established members like elixerdream to throw his hands up in disgust over the sheer amount of ungratefulness and stupidity that goes on when a bump in the road happens that keep people from playing a game for free.....god forbid this ADHD society who "wants their shit quick" takes a fuckin chill pill and, oh I don't know, WAITS for a fix to come along....
unsure.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Despite this being quite an impressive experience, nothing beats Brawl, Diamond and Pearl and Galaxy. Those were horrible days. Also, read the Chrono Trigger topic. Longer than the GTA thread with twice as much flaming.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the rom before it was announced here, im shocked that the tempers didnt have the same thing. WE need an option to kill all dupe accounts but 1 account per IP addy as well as have once a month that people can actually join as well as account invites. If they can do that we will be doing pretty damn well.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
TTDSman18 said:
I got the rom before it was announced here, im shocked that the tempers didnt have the same thing. WE need an option to kill all dupe accounts but 1 account per IP addy as well as have once a month that people can actually join as well as account invites. If they can do that we will be doing pretty damn well.

Good idea. Plus people who get banned can't make an account immediately.

But this week's chaos is pretty much normal, everyone thinks GTA was going to be great. For Pokemon Platinum..... people already played d/p so they may be less hyped.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x.domination said:
TTDSman18 said:

Good idea. Plus people who get banned can't make an account immediately.

But this week's chaos is pretty much normal, everyone thinks GTA was going to be great. For Pokemon Platinum..... people already played d/p so they may be less hyped.
D/P from what I hear is a game alone, shouldnt be much similar but its still a big title.

Its all tiny Monkey Ts fault.

I was thinking of a way so they wouldnt have to ban people rather than ban a lot.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah your right, we got rid of most of those threads like "How do i Fix meh R4", no its "How do i play GTA:CW", plus i remember there was a alot of bickering in the Chrono Trigger thread, and when Mario and Luigi 3 comes out & Poke. Plat. its gonna be absolutely chaotic :S :S

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)