FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The actually more relevant version of "what you do you want to be when you grow up" today.

What did you try to do for a job or career field did you pursue to some significant degree only to pack it up? This can be whether never to look at it again, do it part time to help a friend, change it to (or back to) a hobby or ultimately just realise it was not worth the aggravation necessary for the results.
Did the skills from it ever pay off in something else?
If it was a hobby then did it damage said hobby for you? Music is presumably a popular one here but there are others.
Was there any financial fallout from this effort?

I can start I suppose.
Engineering.
In short. Did the usual school, sixth form, university, bit of postgrad route. My intention was to get a nobody job in an engineering firm and more or less cruise through life (I don't need a big house, I don't want kids, flashy cars just mean more time and money fixing them, and on fixing things I can fix most things so life is pretty cheap). Don't much care about salary, don't much care about hours, something interesting would be nice but I am flexible there. 2007-2008 by the time I was out in the world for that one but I am not sure that (for those just joining the world there was a tiny little financial crash, though probably will end up being smaller than the one we appear to be heading towards) really made all that much difference.
Nobody cared.
Tapped friends in industry, had CV reviewed, did some extras to pad it out, tried to show interest in other ways... I don't know how many applications, every one of them customised to highlight things that might be suited to the role in question.
3 interviews I think is all that amounted to, one being a pity one it seems. Generally speaking if I walk into a job agency and say engineering I would get a warmer reception should I have trod in dog crap and wiped my feet clean on the carpet before using their kitchen sink to finish the job.

Throughout all that I was doing things (and computers) for people so I then went in for engineering for normal people and non obvious customers -- turns out normal people still exist in a world governed by physics and thus might need things made or fixed that might have not happened otherwise. Got some tooling, got some contacts for things I can't make myself, got some computery stuff set up for that side of things and usually find myself learning something new to do more in it (I generally like to be able to eat every trade's lunch -- I will do my fancy bits and you can keep yours but your bread and butter is something I reckon I can do myself). It is not exactly lucrative (not that baseline engineering is either) but it is varied and interesting. Also means I have technically never been employed by anybody other than myself, never had a boss and so forth despite being closer to retirement than not (not that I have any plans, nor likely ability, to retire).

Reactions: TheCasualties

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've never pursued anything to any significant degree in my life. My hobby is coding, and I'd say I'm decent at it, but there still are a lot of things I have no idea how to do and I don't bother trying to learn them, I just get bored and lose motivation when I try something too complex.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Marine chemisty/biology. 3rd year calculus @ 6:30am was absolute hell. I swear my teacher was using stimulants. He talked SO fast!

I just couldn't keep up. About 1/2 the class ended up dropping out.

I found philosophy and glass art the same year, switched to that. I've finally payed off student debt a few years ago and have found money with slinging glass art. Philosophy obviously didn't get me a job but helped me come to terms with how reality works.

Edit: still want to get a decent sailboat and travel around the Caribbean Islands at some point in my life. Follow the cruise ship crowd and sell glass marine life figurines to those rich folk. One day... :blush:

Last edited by TheCasualties,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What did you try to do for a job or career field did you pursue to some significant degree only to pack it up? This can be whether never to look at it again
One year of computer engineering - I knew the first year would be maths (which I was cronically bad at in high school) more than anything specific to the subject, I knew there would be someone who used to be a friend and love interest and we grew up in our teens together but changed dramatically and became a completely different beast in one summer; so I tried but ultimately didn't make it. Walked out with comprehensive knowledge of C (the programming language) and of the streets of Bologna though :)

I'm now in a "completely different" degree to become a licensed radiographer (is it? still looks like an applied science to me), I am late on some exams due to stress and/or just being hard for me but still close to the end, and my dream job would be a tech support position at one of the equipment manufacturers (though I don't see me holding any single position for more than a few years at best, any job probably becomes dull after enough)

That's doesn't seem much different from why I stopped caring about new computers (hardware and software) - not only the new disposable crap is inferior
I bought a Thinkpad X201 two years ago for a fairly high 180 € which is infinitely more comfortable, better serviceable, and with better parts than probably literally anything at a comparable price, meanwhile new designs only add gimmicks, oversimplification, and Apple ripoffness...
but I don't feel like I have the age anymore to try another OS twice a week just for fun and education...!

If it was a hobby then did it damage said hobby for you?
Can't think of any where I permanently burned out, but that's why I am a strong opposer of turning hobbies into money makers!

Reactions: VinsCool

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
PC Repair. I much more enjoy helping people freelance on the side for side cash, rather than working under somebody in a shop. Plus, I make a decent PC repair USB stick and share it with the world, so I guess I'm winning in that regard. :unsure:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Automation.

5 year master's degree that I managed to stretch to 15 years somehow, and by the time I was done I was 10 years behind everyone else on work experience (also, the marked had shifted in the meantime). I couldn't find a job in my field, so I moved to IT.

I still kick myself over it but what can you do.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I tied to be a freelance translator after graduating. Bad move, and instead of it, I now work in IT support. Last year I started studying again, this time in Computer Engineering.

I wasted too much time already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: