What did I just find? (FW 10.1)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by LogicBrain, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LogicBrain
    OP

LogicBrain Banned

Banned
    Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    Recently, as most of you know, smea released hax version 2.5. With this comes the opportunity to load software with homebrew running in the background. Because system settings is launchable via HANS, and has an in-software way of exiting to the home menu, I was wondering what would happen if I clicked the close button while running it in homebrew. Now, here comes the interesting part.
    After doing what I just said, my 3ds went black screen (possible exploit #1) and my theory is that this happened because homebrew was running the system settings, not the home menu. I waited the usual amount of time the 3ds black screens before loading the home menu, but it didn't load. Then, discouraged I pressed L/R/DOWN/B. It started the homebrew loading process with all of the code and such, but froze with the bottom screen purple and the top screen black. After a couple of seconds, it launched into what seemed the system home menu and displayed the common error message like you would see with failed browserhax or the injection process (possible exploit #2). If I decided to turn off my sytsem, the common sleep mode info would not show and the system would wait a couple of seconds to turn off with the home menu music still playing. My theory is that homebrew was still running in the background. If I didn't turn off my system, and loaded one of the little applets at the top of the bottom screen (I only checked the internet browser) and went back to the home menu, it would black screen like I was exiting the system settings (possible exploit #3), and load back into the regular system home menu where everything was normal. If instead of an applet I ran a game or an actual app, it would display the 3ds screen at the top,

This image

and then it would go black screen and play the sound and music like I just had pressed the home button while in a game or app (possible exploit #4). Unless (like shown in the video), you run some apps, like Super Smash Brothers, where it will actually load. (So maybe possibly like running homebrew and installing unsigned cia? Which is untested.)
    You don't have to believe my words, but you kinda have to believe a video

This was on an old 3ds with firmware 10.1.

WARNING: VIDEO IS LOW QUALITY AND 10:00 MINUTES

I don't know if anything can be done with this. But the one thing I do know is if there is a will, there is a way. We can't just rely on smea, yellows8 and other very famous homebrew developers. I am not technical in any way, shape, or form. But if my theory is correct, and homebrew is emulating the home menu, we are talking about a gateway to endless possibilities. We have hope for a new exploit. It is time to start working!

2. Mrrraou

Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    Nothing can be done with this. These are just bugs.

3. Xenon Hacks
    This message by Xenon Hacks has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Oct 29, 2015, Reason: Epic may-may, bro!.
    Oct 29, 2015
  4. Kingofknights

Kingofknights GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2014
    Great fanfic. Thumb up

5. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    You asked

What did I just find

Answer

Absolutely fuck all

Tigroid likes this.
  6. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Minox, Oct 29, 2015, Reason: EoF-material.
    Oct 29, 2015
  7. Marko76
    This message by Marko76 has been removed from public view by Minox, Oct 29, 2015, Reason: Backseat-moderating/incredibly rude.
    Oct 29, 2015
  8. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Minox, Oct 29, 2015, Reason: Response to deleted post.
    Oct 29, 2015
  9. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    :sad:idea is idea, man...

Tigroid likes this.
  10. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I also love how all these people act like asshats because someone shares something, working or not.

11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
  12. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Its that crash = exploit idea again. Why the fuck do people think a crash means there's an exploit?

ComeTurismO, Tigroid, Marko76 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    We don't have to mock him, right?:shy:
    I mean, the thing is stupid, but should we just be a little nicer to him...

14. 101239

101239 GBATemp Irregular

Banned
    Oct 25, 2015
    United States
    Maybe Somewhere near you? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I played pokemon oras and turned on 3d and it lagged (exploit 1).

I used the internet browser on o3ds and tried to watch youtube. it didnt let me (exploit 2)

i loaded smash4 on hans. it corrupted my save. (exploit 3)

Tigroid likes this.
  15. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    You may not be able to see it now, but that post was done already.

ComeTurismO and Tigroid like this.
  16. 101239

101239 GBATemp Irregular

Banned
    Oct 25, 2015
    United States
    Maybe Somewhere near you? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    ik

Tigroid likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah, i guess, but it is a bit like.....really, when will people get that random bugs/crashes aren't just some skeleton key to a system....making a console crash doesn't mean its an exploit, never mind a kernel exploit, the truth is anyone capable of finding such exploits will be doing real work towards that goal and all these threads usually do is either A) get trashed, or B) get a bunch of people hopes up who don't understand that its almost certainly a big fat nothing, then those people end up being much more disrespectful / offensive that anyone has been here so far after having their hopes dashed for a rom loader

Tigroid, Ericjwg and Mrrraou like this.
  18. TLOZmaster

TLOZmaster GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hyrule
    This is a pretty neat find, but I am not sure if it will lead up to anything.

Tigroid likes this.
  19. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    What you encountered was most likely just one or several bugs caused by the exploits used. The likelihood of any of them leading to any kind of additional exploiting is almost non-existing.

With that I'll close this thread as some people here apparently don't know how to act nicely towards others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.