What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by elister, Jul 15, 2010.

Jul 15, 2010

What did I do wrong? by elister at 5:01 AM (1,327 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States
    Bought a Wii 2 years ago, just now attempting to mod it using a WiiKey Fusion, which the dip switch #1 is set prior to wiring it up.
    Wii itself is running 4.0U.

On day 3 now, feel that I may have installed it wrong. With WBFS Manager 3, I was able to get some games to work (MarioParty8,
    MarioGalaxy2 failed) via a 16GB SD card but found the SD card to be an extreme hassle as I plan to send this to my nephew
    overseas and while DVDs should be fine (it does have a DC2 drive) I really would like to fit it with a USB Drive for ease of use.

Got Homebrew channel installed using the Bannerbomb hack & HackMii on a 1GB SD. Had some problems getting cIOS249 installed
    as I apparently downloaded and installed something called "cIOSXrev19-Installer", and it didnt have an option for 249, went from 60
    to 254. All of which failed to install until I found "cIOS249_rev19_Installer" and that appeared to work. Using USB Loader, which has
    a nasty GUI and many games dont work, they crash. Found USB Loader GX, which I understand is beta, loaded it up, default GUI
    is much nicer, so is navigation, doesnt load any games, they all crash. Loading up other apps, all crash upon loading. Everything
    works fine, all my current retail bought Wii or GC games. But the list of ISO DVD-Rs (verbatim brand) that do not play grows.

All crashes involved having to cycle power, ie removing the plug.

What apps should I be using to load DVD games in homebrew?

Should I install this trucha thing?

Should I be burning games at 4x?

Was spending 60$ on a mod chip dumb?

2. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    i had trouble too with usb loader gx , i recommend configurable usb loader

3. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah, if you are going to use a usb drive and loader, the modchip is a waste of money. been there, done that.

Configurable usb loader and Wiiflow are the best in my opinion.

burning speed depends on how good your computer is.
    example: I have a dual core 3.1, 4 gigs 800 mhz ram, highend burner. It will burn at full speed of disc 16X just fine with multiple things running. Another computer I have is only a 2.4 single core with 1 gig ram and cheap sony drive. 4x at most with it and still fails 1 out of every 20 or so. good rule of thumb is half the disc speed should be a good starting place to start.

Should I install this trucha thing?......this tells me you should read some more on what you are doing before you brick it. If you dont know why you are doing something then look it up, it will make your life easier if you have to fix it OR change something later. the guides on here will explain just about everything, but you have to follow the directions, no skipping steps............................................... plus its not that difficult. good luck

4. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States
    Tried that, it basically locks up now every time. Downloaded something called 'Cfg_USB_Loader_56' , copied everything in the 'inSDRoot' into the SD card, there is nothing else on the SD card. Should I need other files on the SD card?

5. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States

Well I read on this site,

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/about/need-trucha

That cIOS Installers either rely or benefit using it, yes/no?

I'll stop using google now and use this site as things appear to be up to date.

6. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States
    Ok, I am making some progress.

I have re-established an internet connection, so it shouldn't crash the instant I load an app in HBC.

I have both 249 install, as well as 222 hermes cIOS versions installed. WiiFlow is nice, appears to only work with the Hermes 222 version. However none of the games will play. Naturally I have a WBFS formatted ext usb drive. Tried both ports on the back of the Wii.

All games seem to take a while to load. Then report the same error.

An error has occurred.

Press the Eject Button, remove the
    Game Disc and turn the power OFF.
    Please read the Wii Operations Manual
    for more information.

Does my external usb hard drive need to be formatted in FAT32 to work via hermes / cIOS222?

7. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States
    Nevermind! Solved the problem.

Turns out the Wiikey Fusion mod chip I have, is really only designed to handle ISO loading from either DVD-R or SDHC. It does not support USB loading at all. With a 16 GB SDHC chip (which was prepped with WBFS Manager3) inserted into the external SD Card Reader, I could load up the built in configuration menu and flat out disable the mod chip (turn it off).

Once the mod chip was turned off or disabled, Wiiflow immediately started loading games. All games work now, including newer games (Super Mario Galaxy2) that didn't work via SDHC loading.

Thanks for the trouble shooting. And to those in #wiiflow IRC.

8. DunkrWunkah

Member DunkrWunkah GBAtemp's Official Dunkr

United States
    Usb loader gx is all looks and no brains if you know what im trying to say.

9. elister
    OP

Newcomer elister Newbie

United States
    Ok, several days now and everything is looking pretty sweet with Wiiflow. The mod chip was at fault the entire time. This is going to make a most excellent christmas gift for my nephew.

10. Black_Knight_666

Member Black_Knight_666 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    note to self : dont get A modchip lol

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    or get someone who actually knows how to install one install it.