what destroyed hip hop?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Its like one day I woke up seven years ago... And the thing was dead. All the music was uninspired all the same trash.

Some people like to compare hip hop to pokemon, in that the 1st and 2nd gen was the best... And everything else was wack. But pokemon has used almost the same formula for 20 years or so.. But hip hop generally is not good anymore expect one song( schoolboy q - collard greens)...

For me the thing that killed hip hop was all the "beef", people didn't focus on making good music but who they can beef with.
The beats wasn't any good any more and everything had that goddamn auto tune crap.

Did I grow up and the downgrading of people and hip hop culture just become too much for a full grown adult?

What happened to hip hop in your opinion?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think of Pokemon as a comparison, because at least the changes they brought in their main games were necessary and nice. Easier breeding and such, things to appease a wide audience of kids (cute pokemon designs like Dedenne) and teens/adults (Garchomp). Hip Hop more or less sold out and put style over substance. I was listening to rap for a few years until 2007. I was introduced to metal music and dropped rap like a bad habit. At that point, there was nothing interesting about hip hop. Years later, my little sister would make me listen to songs she liked, some being hip hop, and it sounded awful. Worse than I last heard. Then while I walk the dog, I'd hear cars and houses blasting their rap music to obscenely loud volumes. It was terrible, it sounded the same too. I can't describe the beat and vocal style exactly, the best way would be "stop/start" rapping with a slow pace beat. The sampling game got worse, the old guard was fading away, some stayed and just became the opposite of what they were, ahem, Snoop Dogg. I used to like Kanye West for example, his music was unique, powerful, it was rap with a contemporary message. But then his music sounded tired, and his persona is fucking loathsome. That's another thing, celebrity and personality, "style" over substance, it's hard to listen to someone when they're douchebags. Even trying to listen to their songs, they sound like douchebags. Newer artists like Drake, I don't get why he's popular, his music sounds horrible. Lil Wayne always was annoying, but got more irritating. Nicki Minaj killed hip hop and the women's role in it, being the head of a new generation of sexploitative music. All of a sudden I hear this word called "twerk," and just shake my head.

Not all hip hop today is bad, in fact I find it interesting that the ones I can listen to now, are from white people. Macklemore, Eminem, and there's always the underground scene. Still, I'm sticking to metal, that's more pure, and easy to sift through when something bad comes on, either from an established band (Metallica) or someone trying to pop up or commercialize their sound. Rap felt like a genre of hits, I never listened to a full rap album for instance. Meanwhile metal's a genre of albums, that just so happen to have hits and signature songs.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I don't think of Pokemon as a comparison, because at least the changes they brought in their main games were necessary and nice. Easier breeding and such, things to appease a wide audience of kids (cute pokemon designs like Dedenne) and teens/adults (Garchomp). Hip Hop more or less sold out and put style over substance. I was listening to rap for a few years until 2007. I was introduced to metal music and dropped rap like a bad habit. At that point, there was nothing interesting about hip hop. Years later, my little sister would make me listen to songs she liked, some being hip hop, and it sounded awful. Worse than I last heard. Then while I walk the dog, I'd hear cars and houses blasting their rap music to obscenely loud volumes. It was terrible, it sounded the same too. I can't describe the beat and vocal style exactly, the best way would be "stop/start" rapping with a slow pace beat. The sampling game got worse, the old guard was fading away, some stayed and just became the opposite of what they were, ahem, Snoop Dogg. I used to like Kanye West for example, his music was unique, powerful, it was rap with a contemporary message. But then his music sounded tired, and his persona is fucking loathsome. That's another thing, celebrity and personality, "style" over substance, it's hard to listen to someone when they're douchebags. Even trying to listen to their songs, they sound like douchebags. Newer artists like Drake, I don't get why he's popular, his music sounds horrible. Lil Wayne always was annoying, but got more irritating. Nicki Minaj killed hip hop and the women's role in it, being the head of a new generation of sexploitative music. All of a sudden I hear this word called "twerk," and just shake my head.

Not all hip hop today is bad, in fact I find it interesting that the ones I can listen to now, are from white people. Macklemore, Eminem, and there's always the underground scene. Still, I'm sticking to metal, that's more pure, and easy to sift through when something bad comes on, either from an established band (Metallica) or someone trying to pop up or commercialize their sound. Rap felt like a genre of hits, I never listened to a full rap album for instance. Meanwhile metal's a genre of albums, that just so happen to have hits and signature songs.

Best. Post. Ever.

Expect liking metal.

Reactions: RustInPeace

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hip hop is dead due to the fact it has become over commercial-ized much .
Just like rock

At least we have decent rap like killer mike,Kendrick Lamar,rob sonic, el p, Aesop rock, RTJ, fashawn, bishop Nehru and others are all great current rappers who are making good music

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I never liked Hiphop, it was shit and always has been shit same goes for Rap!!! DnB is the way to go and always has been, way better! Its massive in the states now, just a shame the states are a little to late getting into it but nevermind you can never be too late and also some of the events they hold over there are massive!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1