What damage can a trojan horse NSP do?

Deleted member 572485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
To my understanding CFW atmosphere protects against e-fuses getting blown and the cartridge slot getting updated past the firmware level on the actual NAND. Does it protect against overvolting components on the motherboard? I know there were Pokemon Let's Go games containing malware which overwrote the NAND. Does using emuNAND and backing up your SD card before running a new game protect against this? What is the worst that can happen? Is it worth the risk?

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Trojan horse can rewrite your Hekate ini to run new payload and cause crash or restart to force it to load. And that payload can do almost everything.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my understanding CFW atmosphere protects against e-fuses getting blown and the cartridge slot getting updated past the firmware level on the actual NAND. Does it protect against overvolting components on the motherboard? I know there were Pokemon Let's Go games containing malware which overwrote the NAND. Does using emuNAND and backing up your SD card before running a new game protect against this? What is the worst that can happen? Is it worth the risk?
There is no such thing as a "trojan horse" .NSP file. The only malicious .NSP file to ever be released was one that erases your PRODINO which can easily be recovered with an eMMC backup. What most people don't realize is that is was just a modification of AutoRCM which most brick code usually is; brickers don't have the intelligence to make their own brick code and just modify existing code.

Reactions: bazamuffin

faithvoid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
virtual.dimensionless.space
XP
Country
Canada
Theoretically, if someone wanted to do some damage, a trojan NSP/NRO could do a lot of things. Delete files off of your SD card, wipe your emuNAND, potentially boot into another payload that could damage your sysNAND, etc. Wouldn't necessarily be the most difficult thing to program or inject into romFS. To my knowledge there was only ever the Pokemon NSP bricker, which as Draxzelex mentioned just wipes your PRODINFO, but if someone was determined to, they could do a fair amount of damage to someone's Switch.

Verify all of your backups against a known working copy's MD5 hash whenever possible and you should be fine, just use common sense and don't install shady unverified things out in the wild.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night