What countries can you safely run a piracy-based company in?

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taiwan
------------

Team Xecuter member Yuanning Chen supervised the production of Switch mods made from high quality components from a PCB manufacturer in Taiwan named Sperry Corporation:

Going back even further, in the 1980s the Front Fareast Industrial Corporation sold devices that allowed "back ups" of SNES / Mega Drive games to be copied to floppy disk:

Reactions: bonkmaykr

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Technically any country that doesn't have laws about piracy or copyrights. My best bet are SEA countries (Taiwan being a prime example), some South American ones and some African ones.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically any country that doesn't have laws about piracy or copyrights. My best bet are SEA countries (Taiwan being a prime example), some South American ones and some African ones.

Taiwan does have copyright laws but the local police have very little interest investigating breaches. Its up to the foregin copyright holder to instigate enforcement proceedings & that will most probably be an expensive waste of their time ....

"In Taiwan before a criminal piracy suit will even be brought, the copyright holder must file the civil complaint. There are 3 problems with this system: First, the copyright holder must be aware of an infringing activity, which is difficult because piracy is not a public crime. Second, copyright holders may not be able to recover because pirates seldom have deep pockets. Third, prosecutors will use their discretion and often not bring the criminal suit. By removing the potential risk of jail time, prosecutors are removing a huge detriment to pirates." [http://mchenry-law.com/comparative-analysis-copyright-evolution-enforcement-taiwan-united-states/]

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I think you're fine in USA, the authorities here don't really give a shit about piracy as long as you aren't singlehandedly distributing massive tons of illegal material all at once. They like to go after the big distributors and just starve the rest that way. Even then, usually it requires some sort of action from the copyright holder before authorities try to do anything to you, and they often prefer to simply take the content down where possible rather than seek punishment. This is from my personal experience, and it is not legal advice. Take this with a grain of salt.

If you're still not comfortable then you could try using TOR but that will slow your connection to a snail's pace. It's completely up to you how you will approach it.

At the end of the day, I would advise you avoid pirating anything unless necessary (game preservation, try-before-you-buy, that sort of thing). Pirating for the sake of not paying for something, that you can afford and is worth the cost, is just selfish.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't account for a piracy company, I was mostly talking about individuals. Considering what I've said above, the USA is not a safe place to run a warez distributor. Since you're literally promoting the illegal distribution of digital content, the Safe Harbor provision won't protect you.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool