what console do you play all your old school games on

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii. I've found that the emulators seem to run BETTER than they do on the PS3, in spite of the huge difference in power. We can thank the PS3's hypervisor tech for that.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
PS3? Has that been homebrew hacked?

I play all my old games on my Wii using emulators. It's awesome.
And I'm thinking about buying a Pandora for portable old school fun.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii for SNES, Genesis, Neogeo, NES, SMS, GG, GB, TG16, and SCUMM. I have a modded XBOX but prefer playing these on my Wii for some reason. Patiently waiting for the eventual release of Wii64 that works well. I love the Wii alright!

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC - look at gameex
If your gonna do it do it right
I mean PC's are cheap, right? Dont limit yourself to a console acting like a PC acting like an arcade - do it and do it right

saulin

Trophies
XP
Country
Commadore64 said:
PC - look at gameex
If your gonna do it do it right
I mean PC's are cheap, right? Dont limit yourself to a console acting like a PC acting like an arcade - do it and do it right

You got the right idea. Besides a PC, when it comes to emulators for consoles there hasn't been anything better than the Original Xbox. Of course it really is limited to CPU and memory. Some big games can run sweet using virtual RAM though. many Mame games run like crap because of the CPU. But is perect for SNES, Genesis, Nintendo, Turbo DUO, TG-16, Neo Geo and I believe GBA emualtion runs full speed on it as well. many of the emulators for teh Xbox have awesome features as well.

I used to play all my old school games on the original Xbox but since it's limited by the CPU and memory. What I did is simple. I bought a powered DVI Splitter and a DVI to HDMI cable. What can I do with this? I can use my TV through the HDMI port as another monitor. Well basically the PC sees your TV as a second monitor and depending how you connect it it will use the resolutions and refresh rate of the TV and not the ones from the monitor that is sharing the port on the video card with.

If your Video card is high end and has HDMI out you can simply hook up your TV straight to the TV as a second monitor with a HDMI Cable. I have a rather fast PC so I can play just about any emulator full speed and teh picture looks awesom through HDMI. Nice and crispy and since it's a HD TV it upports high resolutions.

This is what I recommend for emulation. Your PC but use your Plasma or LCD TV, emulators look better on the TV.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Eclipse01 @ Jun 19 2009, 10:56 PM) PS3 for me

Interesting you can basically run the same Linux on the PS3 that you run on the PC or is it a modified version? Also the PS3 should have good emulation power and there are gerat emulators written for Linux. How does the PS3 handle mame games that riquiere a bit of power like Tekken 3 or Mk4?

How much RAM does the PS3 have. I'm sure this could be a limit in emulation as well.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consoles that they released on..

But if there's a rare instance that I want to play an old game I don't have, the Wii.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a collection of most of the old consoles/computers that I use for playing the games on. Although I need to get a new CRT TV, they don't look half as good on a LCD monitor. For the consoles I don't own I'll use emulation on the PC to try them out but I never play games properly on any emulator except Mame.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.