What channels survive system updates?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by PaulusG, Mar 14, 2011.

Mar 14, 2011
  1. PaulusG
    OP

Newcomer PaulusG Newbie

United States
    Hi all,

I wasn't able to find any good answers through search, so hopefully someone can help me out...

So, if I softmod a Wii, install some emu forwarding channels and maybe some official channels through WadManager, what will survive if that Wii gets updated via Nintendo in the future?

I ask because I'd like to mod a Wii for a relative, but it would be nice if they didn't have to worry about updates and such. For example, I'd like to install some emu forwarders and other channels through WadManager and then not worry if they update or whatnot. I know the HBC usually gets wiped, along with some custom ISOs, but not sure what else would happen that might ruin the emu forwarding.

It's been a while since I've messed around with this kind of stuff, so any help/advice would be appreciated [​IMG]

-Paul

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It's hard to say. It's likely that the updates will not target many emu forwarding channels. However, I recommend you just install Priiloader with hacks in order to block updates on your relative's Wii.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I think all channels survive the system update but for the older versions of the HBC (you might want to check this source...and keep in mind that firmwares add up, so if you're on 4.1, you'll have to look through both the changes for 4.2 and 4.3).

Also keep in mind which emulators you install. The more recent run on IOS58 (which actually comes with 4.3), but there are some who relied on cIOS'es, so the emulator channel will still be there, but the program won't be able to run.

All in all, I second the "install priiloader" option. It's the only way to be future-proof (God knows what a 4.4 update would do).
    Way too much users found out the hard way that they really didn't want to update their wii. And I don't mean to scare you, but "friends and relatives" are the group that most often brick their wii's.