Hacking What can you do with *just* bannerbomb?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a friend and their girlfriend has a Wii she doesn't want moddified in any way so I suggested he could use bannerbomb to just run any homebrew (renamed to boot.dol or .elf and placed in the root of the SD).

Guessing anything that doesn't need cIOS or truncha bug should be okay, would emulators run through that method? anything else of interest?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it depends on what firmware is installed. apps that rely on things that are not presend in current IOS will now function properly. these are the "utility" homebrew programs. the "game" homebrew should be fine. FTPii runs fine from bannerbomb. but on newer system menu versions, it cannot access all the filesystem. no acess for USB2.0 for any apps without a cIOS. emulators should be fine on any firmware. pussieloader works with just bannerbomb

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
To save you from renaming the boot.dol every time you want to run another homebrew, you can instead bannerbomb into [MMM], see my sig below for download link.

Its got a APP Manager that will let you easily launch any homebrew in your SD card Apps folder.

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
If launching homebrew without a working controller is good for you then fine
rolleyes.gif

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mousex said:
Just because you want to promote your own duct taped tool collection you don't have to spread lies about the over tools. loadmii works fine without controller issues. Who cares for updated for a working tool? You only update your tool every two days because of a shitload of bugs (although I never used it
tongue.gif
).
The OP could also try extracting the .app from HBC rename it to boot.dol and launch it, I bet it won't work or only upsidedown but who knows, I never tried.

speaking of which, where's the source for MMM? since you used lots of GPL apps for their source we need to see yours. I just downloaded from your link and it's just compiled binary.

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
mousex said:
Just because you want to promote your own duct taped tool collection you don't have to spread lies about the over tools. loadmii works fine without controller issues. Who cares for updated for a working tool? You only update your tool every two days because of a shitload of bugs (although I never used it
tongue.gif
).
The OP could also try extracting the .app from HBC rename it to boot.dol and launch it, I bet it won't work or only upsidedown but who knows, I never tried.

I am just speaking from what I personally tested, no lies there. You on the other hand having admitted to never using my app have sprouted nonsense about it. Fyi, the last release was in Mar.

Megazig, its precisely because of people like you, acting like gpl police that I did a rewrite for 13.1 so that I'm free to decide on what I want to do with it now.

My apologies to the OP for these off-topic disturbance.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if I reverse engineer your code I won't find other people's code in there at all?

I just like to see what code I run on my wii first. that's why I asked for source.

EDIT: looks like it's IDA time

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, I don't know how to PM here. I have however started looking at your code in IDA. before finding other peoples' code I already found a very big bug. this function will crash the wii guaranteed. you will be jumping to a section of memory that won't contain code. since you don't give out source people can't help you fix issues like this. again, even if you rewrite code but keep some code taken from other programs you must give source.

but, more than that, I like seeing source for things that will permanently affect the wii like this app does.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
On topic, Riivolution is an app that can be run through bannerbomb. It requires 4.2, but will update a single IOS from the Nintendo server if you don’t have it so it’s safe on other firmwares. Riivolution allows region-free loading of retail discs, file replacement from SD with retails discs, and Ocarina codes (with a little bit of finnangling).

http://rvlution.net/riiv

Games which have files which can currently be replaced by Riivolution are Smash Bros Brawl, NSMBW, Mario Kart Wii, TnC, Fatal Frame 4, and maybe some rhythm games (Rockband?). Other games can also be replaced, but there are no readily available packs or files for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: