Question What can you do with a banned Nintendo Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by juccatan, Oct 16, 2018.

1. juccatan
    OP

juccatan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2018
    United States
    Well, Nintendo finally decided to square up and lay the ban hammer on me, (Error 2181-4008) for using CFW only to backup my game saves, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm considering returning my switch and getting a new one as I still have my warranty and most of my games are physically bought.

But as of now what are some things I can do with a banned Nintendo Switch? I know there's backup loading and whatnot, but that's really the extent of my knowledge when it comes to being able to do things with no internet access.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Last edited by juccatan, Oct 16, 2018
  2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
  3. juccatan
    OP

juccatan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2018
    United States
    Thanks man, best regards.

4. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Wait does that mean you can still buy games?

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Typically Nintendo Accounts are rarely, if ever, banned. But since the console cannot communicate with Nintendo's server, it won't be able to download any games the associated account purchases. I think there was a "trick" that involved downloading games from Nintendo's website then using the "Update Download Progress" feature from the console to download the game, but I think all game downloads are behind the dauth server which normal/soft bans block.

psbernitz likes this.
  6. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Pirate the living shit out of it.

Dopam1ne and nmkd like this.
  7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Keeping in mind that we aren't getting a Virtual Console exactly, Retroarch and Final Burn Alpha are pretty sweet now, and cover most of the 8/16 bit era systems including arcades, and progress is being made on 32 bit stuff even. The switch's screen is just about the perfect size for all those 240p retro games, and you can even play sideways for tate arcades. Just find some d-pad replacement and you're good to go.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Oct 17, 2018
    Ryhpurrior likes this.
  8. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    United States
    I buy it for 75$ :)

Nial likes this.
  9. cantrollmyrs

cantrollmyrs Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    United States
    Weird they would take it back. Warranties cover situations like this when a user is banned?

You are bound to get banned again if you do anything so really no point: Besides at this point you have to get ahold of a pre July console to run homebrew.

Kind

10. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Yep that worked way back before Nintendo escalated the bans. Since then everything has become CDN ban. And then there also is dauth. Which means no access if the cert is banned basically. Then you are forced to a manual proces for updating your games. (Downloading NSP etc)

However I did some tests a short while back with local game sharing. And suprisingly that works between superbanned and a non-hacked (and even ipatched)Switch.
    BUT KEEP IN MIND: This will update your fw to the latest version in the process (which you normally could not do either because of the system update being behind the dauth / cdn.

11. Leozairus

Leozairus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Brazil
    Play ~all~ games (sometimes even before release), Emulators, use mods, load from USB, change themes, use hacks, use cheats, free 'lan-online' play, almost nothing...

12. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hit a Nazi in the face with it.

chema131 likes this.