What can you do for a bad cough/bunged up nose?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by The Teej, Sep 19, 2006.

Sep 19, 2006
  1. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Ok, I'm feeling seriously ill right now (got a throat infection), and I've got a bad cough and bunged up nose to boot, are there any remedies to get rid of these 2? Any help would be appreciated!!

-- Teej

2. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    If I have a bad cold/cough and a umm "bunged up" nose... I get a bottle of gin and swig it down... mmm

3. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Or if you're unable to do that....get someone else to get you the gin [​IMG]

No really, heres a couple things I use when I get that (happens to me alot...)

1. Alkaseltzer Cold Plus Sinus. Regular stuff doest work nearly as well as this stuff. They took it off the shelves for a while I believe, and now its back. Maybe in your area, donno...

2. Gargle warm salt water. May take a couple of days, but what do you expect, a freakin miracle?

3. Eat lots of salty chips and really really spicy salsa...the salt for your throat, and the salsa for your nose...not IN your nose....

One thing is for sure though, dont strain your voice and dont eat lots of sugar.

Dr Khris out [​IMG]

4. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Orc -- I would, but I'm on medication, I'll kill myself if I do [​IMG]

Shinji -- Thanks for the alka-seltzers tip! [​IMG] I'll ask my mum to see if she can pick any up on her way home [​IMG] I definitely won't be straining my voice, there's no one around here to talk to! Lol. And the only sugary thing I have is in my Tea [​IMG]

5. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    I always sniff some vicks. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I second the tip for eating spicy food! Works better than anything IMO!

Have a good curry with lots of peppers and what not, korma, sweet and sour etc... [​IMG]

7. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    The best thing you can do is spend all day in bed, with a hot blanket, sweting and drinking water. I mean THE WHOLE DAY IN BED. In the end of the night, you get up, take a shower and go sleep. You will feel a lot better in the next morning. And I mean almost cured.;-)

8. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    The alkaseltzer is great, and I swear by my vicks.
    At night to help out the vicks take a very hot shower just before bed, then rub a bunch of it on your chest near your neck.
    Absorbine Jr. horse liniment on you shoulders can punch it up a notch, but just a dab'll do ya on THAT stuff.

If you go the spicy food route, a little milk helps to neutralize all the acid that's gonna be collecting along with all the drainage down in your stomach (eww.) I've heard wasabi is good, but I don't have the nuts for that, so never tried it.

vicks vicks vicks!

9. mthrnite

United States
    One more thing. Saline nasal spray. Don't get regular nasal spray, that stuff is evil/addictive. The saline (salt water) thins out the snot (eww again) and since it drains down your throat, the salt helps there too. Don't forget the saltwater gargle Shinji mentioned.
    That's all I can think of...
    Get well soon! [​IMG]

10. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    honey honey.. and som more honey.. works great and tastes good [​IMG]

11. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    sour drinks can get relieve you from your sore throat pains for a while anyway,
    my mum used to make me a great drink (I think it's lemon, ginger and honey all boiled in water) so try that out [​IMG].

12. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yay, thanks guys! [​IMG]

The Sore throat and bunged up nose is effectively gone, but because of the throat infection that was causing the sore throat, I now have a bad cough and sore joints in my right hand T__T (I have gout believe it or not; the infection attacks the joints which leaves it open for an attack of gout, yay :/)

But thanks guys for the tips and best wishes! [​IMG]

13. mthrnite

United States
    Glad you're feeling better, but sorry to hear about the gout (my aunt gets it sometimes and OUCH!)
    I'm sure you know this already, but I'm feeling a bit fatherly this morning so..
    Ibuprofen (not aspirin) and lots and lots and lots and more lots of water (flush that system!)

Hang in there!

14. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    very true! also, and I'm serious about this, smoke some sticky icky and exhale the smoke out your nose. i can't explain it, but the smoke clears out your nose quick, and keeps it clear for an hour or so.