Hacking What can I do with a DS Lite? (n00b facing withdrawal)

elevenism

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, my mistake. I guess it's up to the seller if they want to use Paypal. I have never had any trouble with Aliexpress, but I believe that's completely up to the individual sellers. Honestly, while the R4i Gold 3DS+ is a great cart, R4i gold 3ds RTS is the same cart without NTRboot.

plus1.png

nds-card: [email protected]
"Some people have complained about us, our site is blocked by godaddy, we are trying to fix it.
it should work tomorrow
Thank you very much for your trust and support."

Ah, killer. Thx for the info: i was wondering about that (the RTS carts.)

My line of thinking was, you know, i just got into portable gaming for the first time since the 90's and one of you cats recommended a card to me, and since THAT card and seller worked, i figured i'd go the same route.
But yeah, since i don't NEED NTRboot at this juncture, perhaps i could save a few dollars.

Man thank you SO much for your help.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But yeah, since i don't NEED NTRboot at this juncture, perhaps i could save a few dollars.
Many of the cheaper cards don't use Wood R4 (a nice menu for the cart) and have timebombs (can't play the cart after a certain date without setting your system clock back or using YSMenu), as well as compatibility that isn't quite perfect. I recommended that cart because it's worked perfectly with every game I've tried (all clean, straight-from-my-carts dumps (other than the rom hacks), no AP patches).

Reactions: elevenism

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can get an R4 clone quite cheap but check TTMenu compatibility list on RetroGameFan Updates/Releases. (Just search on this same forum) before you buy,

Wood R4 only works on an original R4 card and in some others.

If you want something new the R4i Gold 3DS Plus has no time bomb and works with the latest 2DS/3DS firmware so that's a plus, Yes, there are ways to remove time bombs but they are complicated.

The best emulator you can run on a DS is the gameboy one, lameboy.nds . It works even on the crappiest DS flashcarts ever (the worst that happened to me was being unable to save on one). Last version is Lameboy DS 0.12. for the Nes you have nesds1.3a. Running Snes and Genesis stuff does strain the DS hardware. so go for the DS ports roms instead.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: elevenism

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
However if you get a GBA flashcart you can use the GBA slot ability to run GBA games, but just running a GBA emulator on your PC is way cheaper,

Now if you get a GBA or GBA SP a GBA flashcart lets you run every gameboy/gameboy color/GBA game ever on it. Be aware however that not only you need a GBA or GBA SP but Gameboy flaskcarts are more expensive that DS ones.
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, a GBA flashcart has exactly the same functionality on a DS Lite as it does on a GBA or GBA SP: you can only run GB and GBC games with the Goomba emulator. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

GB and GBC carts run at a completely different voltage than GBA carts; you'd need something like the EverDrive GB or the USB 64m to run GB and GBC games natively.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, a GBA flashcart has exactly the same functionality on a DS Lite as it does on a GBA or GBA SP: you can only run GB and GBC games with the Goomba emulator. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

GB and GBC carts run at a completely different voltage than GBA carts; you'd need something like the EverDrive GB or the USB 64m to run GB and GBC games natively.

The GBA can play Nes games (I think you have to port the roms first?) and can run Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, Thats why I mentioned getting a GBA or GBA SP. the DS GBA slot only runs GBA games, (But I was wrong, stupid voltage issues)

Last edited by raxadian,

elevenism

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys helped me SO much before, and, I wonder if anyone will see this thread bump, or, if I should start a new thread.

I'm disabled (was ultimately diagnosed with RA, the autoimmune disease,) and my DS lite with R4 has brought me SO much joy. All of my family's money is going to insurance and treatments and such.

But now, I would LOVE to play 3DS games, and, of course, I can't afford them. I look at the hacking guides, and, am utterly overwhelmed.

What I would like to do, most of all, is play downloaded 3DS games, and, would also like snes emulation. I know this question might split the community, as, 3DS games are still for sale.

But, if anyone would care to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess you can't just load 3DS games to an R4. What would I need to do? I've got my eye on a refurbished 2ds from Nintendo, selling for $49, that I could get as an early Christmas present. Should I go for that, or, look for an older, cheap used 3DS? I've considered selling some things, and, getting a pre -modded 2 or 3ds, but, they're expensive. Awhile back, people were doing mail in service: does anyone know of a trusted mail in service?

Oh, and, one more thing: I don't care about online play. I mean, it would be fun, but, I'm also willing to never connect the 3/2ds to the internet, to avoid bricking the system.

So, what do you guys think? What is the best way to go about achieving this goal, of getting hold of a hacked 3 or 2ds that will play 3ds roms?

Reactions: Mnecraft368

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@elevenism if you manage to get a new3ds/new2ds - that can play snes games too.
pirating 3ds games isn't the simplest thing anymore (no on device piracy anymore, you need a computer to put the games on)
any 3ds can be hacked.
maybe you can use your ds flashcart depending on which one you have, to hack your 3ds :)

sorry to hear about your health problems.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm disabled (was ultimately diagnosed with RA, the autoimmune disease,) and my DS lite with R4 has brought me SO much joy. All of my family's money is going to insurance and treatments and such.
Sorry to hear that. Don't know what to say…

But now, I would LOVE to play 3DS games, and, of course, I can't afford them. I look at the hacking guides, and, am utterly overwhelmed.

What I would like to do, most of all, is play downloaded 3DS games, and, would also like snes emulation. I know this question might split the community, as, 3DS games are still for sale.
I guess you can't just load 3DS games to an R4. What would I need to do? I've got my eye on a refurbished 2ds from Nintendo, selling for $49, that I could get as an early Christmas present. Should I go for that, or, look for an older, cheap used 3DS? I've considered selling some things, and, getting a pre -modded 2 or 3ds, but, they're expensive. Awhile back, people were doing mail in service: does anyone know of a trusted mail in service?
The amount of information is overwhelming at first, indeed. Take your time reading. All you need to hack a 2|3DS is on the guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/
If you got the R4i Gold 3DS Plus suggested in this thread, hacking with the ntrboot method is the easiest way. The R4 can’t play 3DS software and getting an expensive flashcart for 3DS games is a big waste of money as they can do less than free custom firmware.

Answers to the most frequent questions I have seen:
  • Following the guide is safe. You can’t softbrick a 3DS by accident.
  • If you keep a NAND backup, any software damage can be repaired.
  • Online functions are unaffected:
    • Updates work as normally and are safe
    • So does online play
    • Bans are extremely unlikely if you do not cheat online
From what I’ve read, the refurbished consoles from Nintendo of America are a good deal. Getting an already hacked system has the downside that you are not familiar with the process, the software and the terms. Please do it yourself.

If you have any further questions or problems, I suggest to putting them into the 3DS NOOB PARADISE. You will get more and faster replies on 3DS questions this way.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: Typo. Grrr.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: