What can i do in Gateway Mode without Gateway Red Card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Scorchy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Hello, i just received my 4.2 3DS XL from Ebay (shell swapped btw) and my Gateway 3DS Card is still not arrived so i decided to use the Gateway Installer file in my Ace3DS Plus to try it. Everything worked fine, i'm in Gateway Menu but idk what i can do without the red card? Can i dump my NAND and my games without red card? I don't want to mess up everything so i wanna ask you before anything

Also, it asked me to update my Gateway Card, i said No because i dont have it, was it important?

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    It was, but, you can, probably do it later. Dump the nand and leave your 3DS be.

3. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    You can dump your nand and games without the red card as they go to the big sd card.
    And choose not to update of course.

4. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Ok thanks, i guess i'm just gonna do that, but can my games be dumped too? It would save me some time if i could do it now and play them directly when i receive my Gateway?

5. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    I'm not talking about NAND update, when i entered in Gateway Menu, it asked me if i wan to update my Red Card, i refused, but can i do that later?

6. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Yes, I realize that. Still, you can't update the red card if you don't actually HAVE the red card. So choose not to update and do it later (yes, you can still update later as it'll check whether it's updated every time you enter gateway menu).

7. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Thank you very much! Got all the help i needed in 10 minutes, this forum is still the best :lol:

8. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I wouldn't call it the best, but it has it's positives. Glad you got what you needed sorted out. :rolleyes:

9. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    I was in the same situation, so I installed GW Exploit with Supercard DStwo and using the exploit without the Red card I dumped the nand and kept using Emunand with the "Boot Classic mode" option. So I updated my 3DS Emunand to the latest FW at the time and played a lot FindMii with my home pass.

10. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Well i can't update EmuNAND now sadly, but i'll wait till Gateway Release, i may update to 4.5 with Luigi Mansion too

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can dump your games, saves, use emuNAND, and play region free games in classic mode.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    if you intend to update(sysnand to 4.5) with a rom be sure to do it using the version 1.0 gw firmware BEFORE you run the FPGA update on omega or you will loose that option

13. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    I did'nt really understood what you are talking about but it does'nt matter since i got a retail Luigi Mansion 2, but i find it pretty useless to update from 4.2 to 4.5, there are nothing really different

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah it doesnt really matter between 4.1-4.5 but some people like being on 4.5 as its the most "popular" version to be running, with the original gateway FW you could update from 4.x to a higher version such as 4.5 using a rom.......if you already own the retail cart its no issue anyway

15. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    That's good to know, but i'll stay in 4.2 till i'm sure i wanna keep my 3DS. If i have any issues and i have to return it for refund, it would be better to not change the firmware

16. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    There really is no reason to update to 4.5 if you're already in the 4.1-4.5 range. It's redundant and is fixing what isn't broken. There isn't necessarily any harm in doing so, but the exploit already works, and the way I see it is--it runs the risk of there being a fuck-up. By updating the firmware, you risk the user error of updating too far, or having some unexpected error come up that wasn't there previously (unlikely, but it still exists).

As far as warranty goes, the shop you purchased it from, unless it's some third party retailer that deals specifically in flash carts and other homebrewable/exploitable hardware (basically flash cart websites)--they won't care what firmware is on it. Gamestop will sell you a 1.x firmware 3ds and take it back within their return policy even if it's on 8.x They don't check, they don't care.

17. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Well, this do not work on Ebay, because one of the reason why under 4.5 3DS XL are so expensive is the firmware, so if i change the firmware, the seller may not take it back. The seller do know that 4.5 and lower worth more.

18. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I think I read somewhere people where having random problems with 4.1 other then that they are all the same

19. noki@

noki@ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010

I am on 4.1, no problems for me, it works great!

tyons likes this.
  20. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    There was a bug in 2.0a with 4.1 but was fixed with 2.0 Omega