Homebrew What can I all do on a N3DS XL with fw/10.1.0-27U?

beefsloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Been away from the scene for awhile and last time I was on here I was told to update to 10.1 since you could do everything just the same as when I was on 9.9 i believe. Turns out that was a mistake but lately been wanting to get back into using my n3ds more often and would love to have stable gba emulator and if it is possible soon downgrade and install a cfw etc. Thing is I keep reading stuff about 10.3 or 9.2 etc so am just trying to figure out if I should stay on this firmware still or what? Main issue I'm having currently is not being able to update games like ssb4 because I can't access the eshop. Thanks!

beefsloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
btw, I do have ironfall, which is how I currently get into my homebrew. All my homebrew stuff seems really outdated though, have to hard reset to leave an emulator as well as most of my gba games tend to freeze

thatbooisaspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Stay on 10.1 for the moment, as it is the latest version that is theoretically possible to use snshax on. I suggest not using this as an excuse for not updating at the moment, because its all PoC and people on this forum is hyping out of nothing.

Luckily, smealum released some new free ways to get homebrew this Christmas. First of all you need the newest homebrew starter kit.

After you extracted it to the root of your SD card (manually or using the tool in settings), you can go to the browserhax page on the 3ds. This, if you did this correctly, put you into the homebrew launcher.

There is quite a few ways to go about this, but to get a permanent way to get userland homebrew, even when updating, is ironfall. Smealum and his team released a new way (and yet patched) to download older versions of eshop titles.

1. Use the shortcut called "eShop - old version downloader" in the launcher, and it should put you in the supposedly normal eshop.
2. Search for ironfall, and download it.
3. Open it at least once, but don't play or create any saves.
4. Go back to homebrew using browserhax (or menuhax if you decide to install it before ironhax) and run the ironhax installer.
5. You now (should) have a permanent way to access userland homebrew!

If you want a less-permanent, more convenient, way to access homebrew, you should look at menuhax. Menuhax is allows you to access the homebrew launcher before even going into the home menu, and it can be installed using the installer included in the starter kit. The default button to activate is L, however it can be changed, and even set to autoboot!

Hope this helps, and enjoy playing with emulators on the N3DS.

Edit before posting:
You might want to install a later version of ironfall, that one sounds bugged. I think you can just delete the save.

I also suggest looking into retroarch for 3ds, which is what I use and I have no problems for my N3ds. They have emulators for every console pre-N64 you can think of, and they run all at near/full-speed.

Reactions: tivu100

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stay on 10.1 for the moment, as it is the latest version that is theoretically possible to use snshax on. I suggest not using this as an excuse for not updating at the moment, because its all PoC and people on this forum is hyping out of nothing.

Luckily, smealum released some new free ways to get homebrew this Christmas. First of all you need the newest homebrew starter kit.

After you extracted it to the root of your SD card (manually or using the tool in settings), you can go to the browserhax page on the 3ds. This, if you did this correctly, put you into the homebrew launcher.

There is quite a few ways to go about this, but to get a permanent way to get userland homebrew, even when updating, is ironfall. Smealum and his team released a new way (and yet patched) to download older versions of eshop titles.

1. Use the shortcut called "eShop - old version downloader" in the launcher, and it should put you in the supposedly normal eshop.
2. Search for ironfall, and download it.
3. Open it at least once, but don't play or create any saves.
4. Go back to homebrew using browserhax (or menuhax if you decide to install it before ironhax) and run the ironhax installer.
5. You now (should) have a permanent way to access userland homebrew!

If you want a less-permanent, more convenient, way to access homebrew, you should look at menuhax. Menuhax is allows you to access the homebrew launcher before even going into the home menu, and it can be installed using the installer included in the starter kit. The default button to activate is L, however it can be changed, and even set to autoboot!

Hope this helps, and enjoy playing with emulators on the N3DS.

Edit before posting:
You might want to install a later version of ironfall, that one sounds bugged. I think you can just delete the save.

I also suggest looking into retroarch for 3ds, which is what I use and I have no problems for my N3ds. They have emulators for every console pre-N64 you can think of, and they run all at near/full-speed.
Pretty much this except if I am not mistaken, you can't use Eshop downloader to get Ironfall on <10.2

Reactions: thatbooisaspy

beefsloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So if I have ironfall that already lets me access the homebrew menu, basically the only neat new thing I should do is install menuhax correct? Am I right in assuming that there is no way to update my games such as ssb4 on 10.1.0-27u currently? Also is the newest gba emulators running any smoother? Last question; is there a way to make my n3ds use its full cpu speeds in emulators etc.?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I have ironfall that already lets me access the homebrew menu, basically the only neat new thing I should do is install menuhax correct? Am I right in assuming that there is no way to update my games such as ssb4 on 10.1.0-27u currently? Also is the newest gba emulators running any smoother? Last question; is there a way to make my n3ds use its full cpu speeds in emulators etc.?

Try mGBA already included in Smealum's starter kit (not retroarch)

The best you can do now is wait till downgrade method is released. Then you will have all you ask.

thatbooisaspy

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes it's menuhax. For emulator speeds, I have heard rumors about running emulators in HANS but it depends if the emulator has been recompiled to the latest ctrulib, which allows it to use the N3DS speed (and dynarec). It depends if the emulator/core can run full speed or not. So just try emulators and see which one sticks.

And no, I haven't heard of any way of updating ssb4 on 10.1, that's something you might need to do some research on because I've heard of ways to spoof eshop on older versions now.

beefsloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replys peeps! I really appreciate this info as a lot of this stuff can be confusing especially when dealing with different firmwares. I'll report back if I get some nice emulators working on specific games. Currently really want to play the japanese fire emblem that has an english patch as well as mother 3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte