Hacking What can a hacked PS3 do?

Heitomos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking of hacking my PS3, and I just want to know what hacking it will do.

My main questions are:

I have an old PS3 slim, and can do a factory reset to get to a hopefully hackable version.

1) Will hacking brick my system?
2) Can I play PS3 game backups?
3) Can I play PS2 games? If so, only the ones on PSN?
4) Can I play any games on the PSN?

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
1) No unless you do it wrong!

2) Yes you can play all the ps3 games you want, even online, but you must deactivate syscalls. And you can even play homebrew games and emulators and etc.

3) You can play all the ps2 games on psn, but you can also convert ps2 games to be playable on ps3, this also increases the graphics of ps2 games a bit to 720

4) yes u can

Heitomos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) No unless you do it wrong!

2) Yes you can play all the ps3 games you want, even online, but you must deactivate syscalls. And you can even play homebrew games and emulators and etc.

3) You can play all the ps2 games on psn, but you can also convert ps2 games to be playable on ps3, this also increases the graphics of ps2 games a bit to 720

4) yes u can

Thank you very much!

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
I have an old PS3 slim, and can do a factory reset to get to a hopefully hackable version.
For a start, that won't work. Downgrading isn't as simple as doing a factory reset, you need a hardware flasher, probably E3 or progskeet. And even then, only if your slim model is downgradable to 3.55. You can compare your model number to here to find out http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

For your other questions;
1) No, if you follow instructions and don't do anything stupid
2) Yes, disc backups or PSN versions
3) You can play any PS2 version, but only the very early fat models have hardware backwards compatibility for PS2, all other models use software emulation which will play almost all games but not necessarily bug free. Expect texture problems and such from some games.
4) Yes, but you'll need to run PSN Patch or PSNinja to spoof your console's identifying information and disable relevant CFW syscalls, otherwise you're likely to get detected by Sony as running a custom firmware and get your console/account banned.

Heitomos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For a start, that won't work. Downgrading isn't as simple as doing a factory reset, you need a hardware flasher, probably E3 or progskeet. And even then, only if your slim model is downgradable to 3.55. You can compare your model number to here to find out http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

For your other questions;
1) No, if you follow instructions and don't do anything stupid
2) Yes, disc backups or PSN versions
3) You can play any PS2 version, but only the very early fat models have hardware backwards compatibility for PS2, all other models use software emulation which will play almost all games but not necessarily bug free. Expect texture problems and such from some games.
4) Yes, but you'll need to run PSN Patch or PSNinja to spoof your console's identifying information and disable relevant CFW syscalls, otherwise you're likely to get detected by Sony as running a custom firmware and get your console/account banned.

Thank you! Where would you recommend that I look up any necessary hacking tools or information?

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Where would you recommend that I look up any necessary hacking tools or information?

My recommendation is to purchase a pre-downgraded or pre-hacked console.
This is stuff a random newbie can do.

The process of downgrading is you're doing a hardware mod with a piece of hardware called a flasher and it requires knowledge of soldering, hence something that beginners cannot do.

Last edited by CheeseCake,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm finally gonna get this NAS racked and powered on tonight, install truenas core, and burn the...