Status
Not open for further replies.

i-fire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys... wondering if someone could help me out..
I have a wii on 4.3e with homebrew channel and USB Loader GX running on there.
Recently I was having this problem with my wii turning off on the main menu.
When I press the power button on the console, it would take about 10 - 15 seconds to turn off. (it used to turn off straight away)
I thought I might uninstall some custom IOS files that I had put on there to see if it would fix it.
I uninstalled patched IOS80 (had installed it to fix the "failed to launch error" from SD card).
When I uninstalled IOS80v16944 I chose to uninstall it with IOS249 but shortly after I remembered
that I had installed it with IOS236. My wii then bricked and boots to a blank screen..
I've since unbricked it but my question is, did it brick because I uninstalled it with a different
IOS to that which I installed it with (249 instead of 236).. or did it brick because it needs IOS80 to boot up properly.
(I assumed uninstalling patched IOS80 would make it return to the original IOS80 that was on there).
Thanks for your help..

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For a quick answer you bricker you Wii.

For a detailed answer on what exactly you did
to brick you Wii. The other members of the Temp
shall provide a suitable explanation
happy.gif

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

It bricked because you deleted IOS 80. IOS80 is needed for the System menu.

And to prevent this kind of bricks. NEVER delete an IOS under 200, because they are all official (except the patched ones, but they are patched for a reason)

i-fire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah ok then... thanks for clearing that up. Can I ask 1 more thing about the correct way to install an IOS wad?

My wii is now on a clean install of 4.3e but I've got USB Loader GX running again by installing IOS236 and then cIOSX rev20b.
I'm going to use wad manager 1.7 to install IOS56-64-v5405 (to fix some wiiware games that need it) aswell as
IOS80v16944 (to fix the fail to launch error again). What is the correct IOS to use when installing them in wad manager?
249 or 236? Does it make a difference?
Thanks..

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*facepalms*

Just look in the mirror to see what bricked your wii. Congratulations: you uninstalled the one IOS your system menu needs to run*. Your assumption that uninstalling it would somehow make your default one reappear is not only wrong, it also goes against all sorts of logic.

The cIOS you used to install that patched IOS doesn't really matter (if it's the wrong one, it'll just not install. That's all there is to it).

In fact, I don't know which moron told you to patch IOS80, but he is wrong. And if he, for some reason, doesn't agree to being a moron, then he can come here and give me a single reason for doing so that cannot be achieved MUCH SAFER by one of the STICKIED threads in this forum section**.

Rant aside: try checking if you have priiloader installed. To do this, you need to perform the following steps:
1. beat yourself (or the one who taught you how to hack your wii) in the head for ten minutes
2. while the wii is powered down, hold down the reset button. Turn on the wii while still holding the reset button.
3. If the priiloader (or preloader) menu comes on, then you're in luck. If not, repeat step 1, then send your wii to someone who knows his shit even better than I do (I've heard good things about Deadlyfoez.

In case you do have priiloader, get to the HBC, then start MMM and install the latest official version of IOS80. That should fix you.

(having bootmii installed as boot2 could also help, but that's even less likely).

EDIT: ninja'd a bit...seems like I accidentally explained some useful stuff in the process.

*for 4.3, that is.
**and don't give me that darkcorp crap...there are no games that natively use IOS80, so there's no need to patch that for any reason whatsoever

i-fire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's ok dude, the wii has since been unbricked... I'm just wondering now what the correct way is to install wads..
thanks for helping out..

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...as I said: it doesn't make much difference which cIOS you use. If it doesn't fail to intall, you've picked correctly (I have a patched IOS36 in slot 236 for the sole purpose of installing other IOS'es and cIOS'es, but since you can install just about any cIOS to any slot, I can't guarantee that my preference will help you).

Pretty much the same with the installer: it doesn't make much difference whether you use wad manager, MMM or dop-mii: if the install is successful, it's successful.

Of course, it matters which wads you pick to begin with. I took a look at wiibrew: for IOS56, the latest version is v5662. For IOS80 it is v6944. I never heard of a v16944, so be cautious (in other words: have priiloader installed).

To get these wads, it's best to use modmii (see the stickies) or NUSD. Those can get the official ones. And unless you want to run backup discs from the disc channel, there is absolutely no reason not to use the official ones.

Good luck.
smile.gif

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your wii still works? Strange... Normally if you uninstall the system menu IOS then priiloader and the system menu doesnt work. If you don't have bootmii boot2 you can't do anything but throwing the wii out of your window. It's no problem to have a patched IOS installed btw. Why you wanted to uninstall it?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lulwut said:
no it does not
I like post like that
rolleyes.gif

It depends on the IOS patches, there ARE patches to get a small brick protection, like the patch to boot the recovery disc.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
lulwut said:
JoostinOnline said:
I always encourage a patched System Menu IOS. It offers extra brick protection.
no it does not
A SM IOS with a dip module patched is especially useful. I talked to XFlak about it and he intends to add it to ModMii.

Besides that, installing IOS60 into all SM IOS slots protects from 003 bricks and bricks from downgrading on newer Wii's.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
lulwut said:
JoostinOnline said:
I always encourage a patched System Menu IOS. It offers extra brick protection.
no it does not
A SM IOS with a dip module patched is especially useful. I talked to XFlak about it and he intends to add it to ModMii.

Besides that, installing IOS60 into all SM IOS slots protects from 003 bricks and bricks from downgrading on newer Wii's.
SM patches doesn't help jack shit. priiloader does. if you are smart and have preloader(yes even preloader)/priiloader(or bootmii @ boot2, but thats a different thing) then you can just boot whatever you want from that. its not using a patched ios? no problem. reload to one or use ahbprot to patch the running ios(and youre booting from priiloader so the IPC buffer is "safe". i say "safe" cause its never safe. it just doesn't have the stupid bug from HBC)
there is no reason to ever patch the SM IOS. not even for piracy related activity...

EDIT : o and btw , no bootmii@boot2 + no priiloader yet softmodded wii = stupid if you are going to mess with channels. and there are easier, less system raping, ways to get rid of error 003 without SM/IOS patches...
namely the IOS reload function of Priiloader/preloader

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lulwut said:
there is no reason to ever patch the SM IOS. not even for piracy related activity...
Good luck playing custom (and warez'd) channels from the SD Menu without it. Not everyone uses a NAND emulator. And not everyone wants priiloader either (I'm one such person...bootmii/boot2 for anti-brick and startpatch for hacks).

QUOTE(lulwut @ Sep 19 2011, 01:00 PM) and there are easier, less system raping, ways to get rid of error 003 without SM/IOS patches...
namely the IOS reload function of Priiloader/preloader
And the second someone on 4.2 hits the update button (or someone on 4.2/4.3 reinstalls the SM and forgets to reinstall priiloader)...it bricks. Priiloader won't survive an SM update/reinstall, but an IOS60 with increased version # in the correct slot...will.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
lulwut said:
lulwut? One good reason to have a patched SM ios is for pirated WADs that you install but transfer to the SD card through the SM. I'm sure there are many more reasons too, although I can't think of them off the top of my head.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's only necessary for pirated WADs made with stupid wad packers that fakesign the TMD when they don't need to. Only the ticket requires fakesigning and once the title is installed it's never checked again.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Wever
I suggest you patch all system menu ios, I am not a moron. Also as you said the stickies are great, you should follow them and realize that they all patch the system ios. Modmii is excellent, I love it to, it is also the source of all system ios v1####, which have all patches except dip. This is where the op got his patched system ios, from modmii.

@lulwut
Patching the system ios helps fix bricks. It is a simple fact. You can argue about it all you like, but patching your system ios is an excellent idea, it has fixed many many wiis. Priiloader is an excellent brick recovery. Unfortunately whenever someone bricks their wii the first thing they are usually advised to do is re-install the system ios and system menu, removing priiloader and neglecting its re-install prior to restarting the wii. This is bad advice, but it happens all the time, this is why I always suggest system ios-> system menu-> priiloader install -> no restarting the wii. Unfortunately when this happens and the wii is not fixed the user is now left with nothing but RM. If RM is working you can fix the wii, but it is no fun, much better from priiloader. Now if you want to fix something from RM, you don't need patched ios (unless your wii is jap), but the patched ios makes it some much easier. While your at it, patches are not enough, you want the system ios to be dip patch also, unless you like to buy a stupid chip.

At everyone- I don't know how anyone came up with the idea that patching ios was somehow dangerous and risky. Sure it has its risks, but I can't think of anyone who has bricked their wii patching ios. Surely not as risky as installing priiloader.

@OP- don't uninstall ios, you can brick your wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt