GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I just installed Free Mcboot to one of my memory cards. But whenever I try my burned disc, it may or may not load. If it does load, however, the game is really slow in terms of loading (the game is kingdom hearts final mix). I really don't know if its because of the iso, the dvd I use, bad burning (in terms of speed I use 4x write speed), or bad installation of FMCB. But I use:

QUOTE said:
10PK/PAQ Memorex DVD-R 16x | 4.7GB/Go | 120min

Any clue on what might be causing this problem? Here's the interesting thing, I burned Resident Evil 4 using the same dvd but did not encounter any loading problems. If you guys need more info just post it.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally use Sony because they do not have TY or Verbatim at the stores. Sony are generally good but not the best. I normally burn at 8x or somewhere around 1/2 of the disc speed, but normally I don't pay attention to it.

its most likely the disc used or laser wearing down. Try cleaning the laser if you can.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've never owned a sony system other then my phat psp, but i have never liked memorex disc's for either my original xbox of my wii. and i didn't like their cd's in the dreamcast days either. they don't burn well. I've made many memorex coasters, and have experienced read errors after the disc sat around for bit. after a few months they didn't want to work any longer. good dvd media would = taiyo yuden, sony and even hp makes a good disc.
ps Verbatim also = good stuff and burning at around half of the disc's max is usually a good speed to burn at.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Verbatim DVD+R's worked fine for me until I swapped to the HD, now I just can't use DVD's anymore.

I burn all my DVD's at 2x. May as well make sure it's a good burn.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
wtfisausername said:
I normally use Sony because they do not have TY or Verbatim at the stores. Sony are generally good but not the best. I normally burn at 8x or somewhere around 1/2 of the disc speed, but normally I don't pay attention to it.

its most likely the disc used or laser wearing down. Try cleaning the laser if you can.

I don't think it was the laser wearing down since it can read my other legit games normally. Also, my ps2 hasn't been used that much. It's only 3 yrs old but its not in use for about 2 years. I just recently use em. Or maybe I missing something? Maybe I'll use some verbatim dvd-r since I got a lot of good comments about it. I also notice that my ps2 making this weird noises like it's reading the disc too much (hopefully that make sense) compared to other games I burned.

Also, if in case it was the laser, how do you safely clean them? or maybe replace them (using slim silver)? Thanks.

QUOTE(Kayot @ Oct 25 2010, 09:41 PM) Verbatim DVD+R's worked fine for me until I swapped to the HD, now I just can't use DVD's anymore.

I burn all my DVD's at 2x. May as well make sure it's a good burn.

Do you use FMCB? If so, what kind of HD do you use? I am not really good at this. still a noobie :3

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDestroyer said:
Also, if in case it was the laser, how do you safely clean them? or maybe replace them (using slim silver)? Thanks.
Cotton Swab and Isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Burned games often causes more stress to the laser than factory pressed ones. Crappy media are well crappy, check the media id code and see if they are any good, some will work fine but the data will slowly fade away. Also slim's laser are quite crappy and picky sometimes, many people have problems with dirty lens, using bad disc, or with the lasers itself.

QUOTE(ddetkowski @ Oct 26 2010, 06:10 AM) In my PS2 experience, I only used DVD+R's, never a problem with playback
Thats right I almost forgot about that. When using DVD+R you can booktype them to DVD-ROM.

(My English seems horrible, I always feel jumpy)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't mix up Free McBoot and ESR. Free McBoot is the memory card exploit that allows you to run homebrew easily. ESR is the homebrew program that runs ps2 dvd game backups from DVD-Rs. And Free McBoot can be configured to boot ESR is a "video dvd" is inserted on boot.(is that the default config?)

On some ps2s you may need to tweak your laser in order to read DVD-Rs. If you need to do that and if it's a FAT ps2, start looking for a network adapter, your ps2 will die eventually.

On topic:
Maybe you want to get some test tool for dvd burns like Nero CD-DVD Speed. With that you can check which burn speed produces the better results. You can also compare the dvd media available for you.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay I just bought Verbatim dvd-r 16x 100 pcs.. I've tested one with Nero Burning Rom and It works great. I think the disc is the culprit.. I never liked memorex really (I've used it on my cousin's Wii and it doesn't seem to work well too).. I just don't have any option at the time I bought it xD

Conclusion: Memorex isn't really a good brand for me and for those who'll burn stuff in the future at least go for brand like Sony/Verbatim dvd-r I think they're pretty good like these folks said. Thanks people.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I use OPL or HDLoader. It's a Maxtor from a while back. It had 250GB and was EIDE, however the Network adapter didn't line up right so I had to remove the plate and shift the connectors over by like 1mm. Something Sata got right, the connector is ALWAYS in the same place exactly.

I hear that Seagate drives line up to the network adapter. If you have a phat ps2 you can pickup a network adapter for about 12$ at gamestop. You can also SMB (Network) to your computer and run the files across the network in case your using a slim. I haven't played with that feature so I can't be certain on it. I'd assume that 10/100base is faster than USB 1.1 due to this comparison chart http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/usb.html

While I can't say for certain, I believe that the 10/100base is also slightly faster than the DVD drive in the system. I'd also assume that the internal HD is faster than all other options simply because the data is already there.

Added: Here's a link for the OPL -> http://opl.psx-scene.com/

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Network loading is faster than usb1.1 loading, yes, but it's slower than disc loading. It should work fine for most games, but some cutscenes may stutter and the loading times are a little longer than using discs.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've made backups of eight of my PS2 games (one of the original factory-pressed games freezes so I've pretty much saved the game) with memorex DVD-Rs and I've had em for about four months. I play em with swaps. They all still work fine, but I'm extra careful anyway.

Also I have a brand new SPCH-90001.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Been using Sony's for a while (oh the irony), it was the best available brand close by, no way I'm ordering discs through the mail
biggrin.gif
So far so good. Definitely never use Memorex, I can't believe they're still in business

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended