GCN What brand of DVD discs should I use?

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I'm sorry for being so noobish and spamming the GC section but I really need an answer as I'm pretty sure I won't be paying a random guy on the internet to get a memory card and also won't be paying my friend to solder me a gecko. The title says the rest

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also found the type of writer and the speed you wrote at was important too. I had to use a pioneer and write at 4x, if I wrote at 2x or 1x then the disc could be verified fine in the pioneer itself but the gamecube wouldn't be able to read it at all.

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I also found the type of writer and the speed you wrote at was important too. I had to use a pioneer and write at 4x, if I wrote at 2x or 1x then the disc could be verified fine in the pioneer itself but the gamecube wouldn't be able to read it at all.
Will take note

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will note

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think everyone was glad when loading from sd came out as those dvd's are a complete pain, not much better than using the original PSO + network adapter loader.

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
GCs' are very picky with DVD-R'S. Ritek G04 Ri-data and Phillips are the best burnt at 2x, yet some need pot tweaks for finer tuning for either brand. Plus don't mix n match discs, stick to one brand.

I own 7 different gamecube's and modded 100's with xeno modchips for a long time and every one differs with the media used in some way or another.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Full size if you wanna hack the top part of the case or mini to fit like the originals do ;)
yeah but what is the most popular?
and don't mini dvds make the drive last longer (less weight, less width making the disc having a lower change of shaking and requires less strenght to spin it)

imo mini dvds are better, they are more easy to store, don't require mod but i guess they are more expensive and less available..

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
yeah but what is the most popular?
and don't mini dvds make the drive last longer (less weight, less width making the disc having a lower change of shaking and requires less strenght to spin it)

Yes you correct, yet a lot don't beleive that. Full discs have heavier weight thus creating more strain on one of the worst console's lasers going.
Since gcs were never designed for normal dvd discs. In the long run it will cause problems and not worth using.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.